PDA

View Full Version : Bad home brew experience

Redhood101
2019-08-02, 06:54 PM
I recently played in a game where the DM homebrew the language rules. Because of this none of the players spoke the same language so the session broke down to the players trying to mime their intent. Does anyone have stories about homebrew rules that horribly back fired?

Tawmis
2019-08-02, 07:41 PM
I recently played in a game where the DM homebrew the language rules. Because of this none of the players spoke the same language so the session broke down to the players trying to mime their intent. Does anyone have stories about homebrew rules that horribly back fired?

Behac tor dafin zeena lar tooka farodin.

(Sorry I was not able to understand what language you posted in). :smallyuk:

As for bad experience... I am sure I have... I've played so many D&D games... I'd need to sit down and begin the epic novel. :smallredface:

EDIT: I actually sat down when I got home... and thought about the various DMs I've had... and you know what, I've been pretty lucky. There's been some odd house rules... but nothing that I'd say is horrible.

I had a house rule in my own game that backfired on me; when I allowed a house rule of called shots. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24013615&postcount=33) It worked out for the players, horribly for me, since the Green Hag was the "boss fight." I've since adjusted "called shot" rules (you need Inspiration - not Bardic, the other Inspiration - and use it to make a called shot [+3 to target's AC]; it's used whether the called shot hits or misses).

holywhippet
2019-08-03, 02:19 AM
I wouldn't say terribly backfired, but I did have a DM who decided that any character over level 5 could cast cantrips as a bonus action. It made them a bit too powerful.