PDA

View Full Version : construct for excavations?

Braininthejar2
2019-08-02, 07:28 PM
It turns out my campaign involves a fair deal of side quest sunk/buried treasure that I'd need to dig for. It would be best if I could leave tedious work to someone else.

My first thought was binding an outsider - they don't breathe, and can be made to work tirelessly. But depending on the nature of the treasure I'm looking for, having it be found by an intelligent and resentful creature might be a big risk, planar binding or not.

Is there any good alternative?

It would probably be best if I could have a custom-made construct to do it - it would need some sense ability like detect magic, or locate object, swim and burrow speed, some means of reporting back, and enough stats to fend off a CR 5 threat in my absence.

I don't remember seeing anything like it in any bestiary. How much would it cost to build something like this? I have no idea how to price constructs...

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-02, 07:41 PM
Look up the fantastic machine spells. Those should help.

I should elaborate. They are in spell compendium. They summon construct construction equipment that can do various tasks like build, excavate, haul, etc.

calam
2019-08-02, 08:47 PM
while they don't have statistical bonuses to excavating automatons from monster manual 2 are supposed to be digging machines. The pulveriser has blind sense to work in darkness, 21 strength so moving and breaking things won't be too difficult and can deal sonic damage while the hammerer has 25 strength and deals 2d8+10 so smashing through even adamantine won't be an issue. Too bad they only act every other round

unseenmage
2019-08-03, 08:13 AM
An effigy of a creature with a burrow speed that explicitly leaves a hole.

Ankheg, deliver, etc.

Palanan
2019-08-03, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Braininthejar2
It would probably be best if I could have a custom-made construct to do it - it would need some sense ability like detect magic, or locate object, swim and burrow speed, some means of reporting back, and enough stats to fend off a CR 5 threat in my absence.

If you’re open to Pathfinder material, the Ironfang Invasion AP has the Clockwork Excavator (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/clockwork/clockwork-excavator/), which is built to do exactly what you’re looking for. It’s CR 10, so could probably handle itself against your CR 5 threats without much trouble.

Zaq
2019-08-03, 12:01 PM
I mean, mindless undead are the classic choice for tireless labor. Skellies can swing pickaxes all day and all night without complaining. They need direction, sure, but get enough of ‘em working together and you’re still not going to need to spend that long doing your thing.

unseenmage
2019-08-03, 02:12 PM
FYI the rules for mining are in Races of the Dragon in the Kobold section.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-03, 02:44 PM
An effigy of a creature with a burrow speed that explicitly leaves a hole.

Ankheg, deliver, etc.This is the fastest way outside of high level spells to do it. A 10'x10'x40' hole is a LOT of dirt.

Braininthejar2
2019-08-03, 07:17 PM
I don't need it to leave a hole, as long as it still finds what I'm looking for - in fact no hole means fewer interruptions in the excavating.

Effigy Umber Hulk was the first thing I thougt about, but would it keep the tremorsense?

Clockwork Excavator is awfully expensive, and causes some logistical problems. it requires winding up, and is huge.

I was thinking of something like a nimblewright, with the SLA's changed to blindsight, burrow and locate object.

One thing I'm concerned is him being crushed by rubble while digging through something unstable - is there a spell that protects from damage by rocks? (there is earthglide, but it's 8 level - not something I can hope to give a construct as an SLA)

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-03, 07:26 PM
How about a reserve feat to summon an earth elemental? It can move through earth and stone just fine, and once the duration is over with, just summon another.

MisterKaws
2019-08-03, 08:25 PM
I don't need it to leave a hole, as long as it still finds what I'm looking for - in fact no hole means fewer interruptions in the excavating.

Effigy Umber Hulk was the first thing I thougt about, but would it keep the tremorsense?

Clockwork Excavator is awfully expensive, and causes some logistical problems. it requires winding up, and is huge.

I was thinking of something like a nimblewright, with the SLA's changed to blindsight, burrow and locate object.

One thing I'm concerned is him being crushed by rubble while digging through something unstable - is there a spell that protects from damage by rocks? (there is earthglide, but it's 8 level - not something I can hope to give a construct as an SLA)

Effigies lose special qualities. I think it's easier to do it with a pair of constructs: one effigy digger and one other construct with good senses.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-04, 12:44 AM
If it helps, a spell stitched undead with an 19 wis can take fantastic machine as its 6th level spell. You would also be able to load it up with a few other spells of lower level.

unseenmage
2019-08-04, 03:59 AM
If it helps, a spell stitched undead with an 19 wis can take fantastic machine as its 6th level spell. You would also be able to load it up with a few other spells of lower level.

In the same book theres the Runic Guardian construct which also has customizable SLAs.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-04, 04:44 AM
In the same book theres the Runic Guardian construct which also has customizable SLAs.

What page? I can't find it anywhere in complete arcane. :smallconfused:

unseenmage
2019-08-04, 05:52 AM
What page? I can't find it anywhere in complete arcane. :smallconfused:

Apologies, I thought they were both in MM2.

EDIT
Just checked to make sure I'm not crazy and they are both in MM2.

MisterKaws
2019-08-05, 07:27 AM
Apologies, I thought they were both in MM2.

EDIT
Just checked to make sure I'm not crazy and they are both in MM2.

Yes, but Spellstitched was updated in CA.

Braininthejar2
2019-08-05, 04:47 PM
Now, this research has brought me to a different question.

What is "nimblewright" supposed to mean?

I was trying to translate it, but "wright" translates as "artisan" and that doesn't make much sense...

unseenmage
2019-08-05, 06:04 PM
Now, this research has brought me to a different question.

What is "nimblewright" supposed to mean?

I was trying to translate it, but "wright" translates as "artisan" and that doesn't make much sense...
I think it's trying to say that this Construct is an artist of nimbleness.
Esp when compared to the lumbering golems in the core MM.

Braininthejar2
2019-08-06, 11:17 AM
Okay, DM agreed to let me custom-modified nimblewrigth, as long as I go some component hunting for the fellow mage who's helping me on the project.

-Traded some dextrity for strength
-Added adamantine at extra cost for more efficient digging.
- traded two languages, most of general intelligence and charisma for high ranks in search and survival (navigate underground hazards)
- traded SR for fast healing 1
- got rid of heat and cold vulnerabilities.
- dropped most of the feats, but added one for extra HP.
- traded the auto-trip for high resistance to being crushed, and an ability to dig himself up when buried.
- added a "mouth" hatch with a place for a bag of holding.
- traded SLA's for locate object, detect magic, burrow and blindsight.