PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item.

Vknight
2019-08-03, 03:09 AM
So i may or may not have a player who got his spine replaced with a magical one along with his lower right arm.

So i've been brainstorming magic item ideas and want too hear peoples ides here.

He is a Sorcerer and it was made for him after an accident by a wizard friend

Sigreid
2019-08-03, 03:22 PM
How about letting him turn HP into SP at some ratio?

J-H
2019-08-03, 04:00 PM
Internal ley line:
The spine allows him to accumulate one additional Spell Point per 5 levels per day.

Discharge socket:
The hand on the artificial arm can fold down to expose a circular opening, which can be used to emit stored energy. The arm has up to 4 charges, and regains 1d3 charges per day.
1 charge: Eldritch Blast as a character of his level
2 charges: Magic Missile as a character of his level
3 charges: Lightning Bolt as a character of his level
Spell points can be used to upcast the Lightning Bolt and Magic Missile.

Vknight
2019-08-03, 04:59 PM
How about letting him turn HP into SP at some ratio?

I was thinking that i was also thinking he could regain a Sorcery point per short rest as an option

Sigreid
2019-08-03, 08:42 PM
I was thinking that i was also thinking he could regain a Sorcery point per short rest as an option

For added flavor tell them that the conversion is painful (though no game effect) as they rip out their own life force to spend it on their magic.

Crgaston
2019-08-03, 09:31 PM
1. The Magic Spine grants Evasion. The spine senses magical attacks and reacts without his input. This causes 1d4 damage because his body doesn't quite know how to deal with it yet. After he levels up again, it drops to a static 1 damage. Next level up it's fully integrated.

2. The Magic Spine grants Advantage (or Proficiency) on Intelligence Saving Throws. The magic of the spine shields his nervous system. You could probably do Advantage on both Int and Wis saves without it being borked since no class gets proficiency in both.

3. Even if he is not a Wild Magic Sorcerer, let him roll on the Wild Magic table once per day. If he is, let him roll twice and pick.

Vknight
2019-08-04, 05:43 PM
1. The Magic Spine grants Evasion. The spine senses magical attacks and reacts without his input. This causes 1d4 damage because his body doesn't quite know how to deal with it yet. After he levels up again, it drops to a static 1 damage. Next level up it's fully integrated.

2. The Magic Spine grants Advantage (or Proficiency) on Intelligence Saving Throws. The magic of the spine shields his nervous system. You could probably do Advantage on both Int and Wis saves without it being borked since no class gets proficiency in both.

3. Even if he is not a Wild Magic Sorcerer, let him roll on the Wild Magic table once per day. If he is, let him roll twice and pick.

They are only level 2 its complicated why he got it(the hand was a backstory event randomly rolled funnily enough) though that could work for the spine

I mean a lot of classes get proficiency in Int and Wis. I was personally thinking of advantage on wisdom saves or saves vs. magic

Ohhh that one is cheeky

Sigreid
2019-08-04, 05:47 PM
Unknown to the poor sod it's the hand of Vecna, just not fully awakened.

Seriously though, don't do that.

Tesla Dragon
2019-08-04, 06:10 PM
If the PCs are still only level 2, it could easily be something that grows with the character, unlocking some abilities as they grow more accustomed to it.

Initially it's probably best to keep the bonuses and potential maluses small. Maybe allow the hand to be used as an arcane focus, and also grant the shocking grasp or mage hand cantrip?

I do like the ideas already being thrown around for the spine, either allowing additional sorcery points or conversion of HP to SP. With how easy it can eventually be to recover HP however, it should be limited (prof per day? Maybe even 1/2 rounded up?) and/or require the expenditure of HD to limit its use and hammer home that it is a draining and painful process as suggested by Sigreid

Vknight
2019-08-04, 09:56 PM
Unknown to the poor sod it's the hand of Vecna, just not fully awakened.

Seriously though, don't do that.

Custom Setting so no Vecna and also yeah that would be awful it would also be super super funny if this was not a campaign i play to run until this time next year in a 10 session campaign that actually could be a great twist.

If the PCs are still only level 2, it could easily be something that grows with the character, unlocking some abilities as they grow more accustomed to it.

Initially it's probably best to keep the bonuses and potential maluses small. Maybe allow the hand to be used as an arcane focus, and also grant the shocking grasp or mage hand cantrip?

I do like the ideas already being thrown around for the spine, either allowing additional sorcery points or conversion of HP to SP. With how easy it can eventually be to recover HP however, it should be limited (prof per day? Maybe even 1/2 rounded up?) and/or require the expenditure of HD to limit its use and hammer home that it is a draining and painful process as suggested by Sigreid

That is what i was also thinking. But i need to think that out for both the spine and hand.
I think i got a good one now that you mention it

As a bonus action can convert 2 HP to 1 Sorcery Point during an encounter. And regain 1 Sorcery point during a short rest.

I'm not so much worried about healing

The group is a Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Warlock, Sorcerer

furby076
2019-08-04, 10:50 PM
Just tell your player its the hand of vecna, still dormant and not aware of its new host. Then laugh, "custom setting, no vecna"...then tuck your head behind your DM screen, peak up for a second (so he can see you), duck back down and giggle a bit. I got 5 gold says the players goes to the nearest melee PC and tells him to hack it off

Vknight
2019-08-05, 05:38 AM
Just tell your player its the hand of vecna, still dormant and not aware of its new host. Then laugh, "custom setting, no vecna"...then tuck your head behind your DM screen, peak up for a second (so he can see you), duck back down and giggle a bit. I got 5 gold says the players goes to the nearest melee PC and tells him to hack it off

I'm not that evil despite what the podcast would have our listeners believe... all the time