PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorcadin or Paldock

Dimcair
2019-08-03, 04:35 AM
Follwing up on my initial try to find the right race/feat/progression for a sorcadin, here is the update.

Originial Thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?593604-Sorcadin-in-the-making/page1

He/She is:
Half-Elf (Drow)
rolled stats and after racials:
16 STR
15 DEX
16 CON
8 INT
13 WIS
19 CHA

Paladin 1 (going 6, vengeance)
Feats/ASI: 4 - Warcaster / 10 - Elven accuracy

The Party now consists of the following:
Moondruid
Fighter (melee)
Cleric (armored, support)
Rogue
Sorcerer

Conclusion, tank wise and melee wise we are better covered than I expected, opening my character up to go a bit more damage/casting oriented than i expected. Therefore I am now exploring the Paldock option, guessing Hexblade (because of elven accuracy and crit fishing) as a likely contender.

This means this is now a Sorcadin vs Paldock help thread and I am even considering dropping the sword and board in favor of a big ass sword if the moondruid and fighter are being the main frontliners (they sure look like it)...

Would be honored to receive anyone's input as I haven't played in a while but been wanting for years to get a charisma multi-class character going.

Mitsu
2019-08-03, 06:25 AM
Sorcerer.

Take her to 6 level Paladin/5 Sorcerer and then maybe dip 1 level Hexblade for SAD CHA. Padlocks are great, but Sorcadins are just better due to slots, quicken BBs and access to higher level spells.

If you are using sword n shield, not GWM - 16 STR will be sufficient especially with Bless which will be your go-to spell for a very long time.

bendking
2019-08-03, 07:30 AM
Sword & Shield is better for gishes IMO, unless for some reason your party is super starved for damage.

Dimcair
2019-08-03, 08:21 AM
Sword & Shield is better for gishes IMO, unless for some reason your party is super starved for damage.

You are right, sword and board it is/

paladinn
2019-08-03, 08:24 AM
Sorlocadin. 1 level of paladin then 2 of hexblade and 1 of paladin, in whatever order. Then 4-5 more levels of paladin, then finish out sorcerer (I like divine soul) or mix with a little more paladin for less squishiness.

Gets you: CHA-SAD, best ranged damage cantrip in the game, hex, heavy armor and shield, smites and lots of smite-fuel, healing when needed, paladin aura(s). I also recommend S&B style and vhuman. Use a spear (versatile and works with S&B or PAM). Grab PAM for an instant extra attack (both with CHA bonus). You may want to throw in a 3rd hexblade level and grab GWM and a glaive.

Dimcair
2019-08-04, 10:04 AM
So I gotta forget about padlock and just stick sorcerer, and if I feel like it I'll grab up to 2 levels of hex blade for Single ability dependency.

Sad in a way, the levels between 4 (warcaster) to finally getting Elven accuracy at lvl 10 will be a long one.
Also if I do take them in this order, do I dip one level sorcerer at 5 to get the GFB and BB cantrip? nah right? straight for extra attack.

/edit: guess I am dumb, if I dip something at lvl 5 I should dip hexblade, also gives me the cantrips and the SAD....

bendking
2019-08-04, 10:39 AM
So I gotta forget about padlock and just stick sorcerer, and if I feel like it I'll grab up to 2 levels of hex blade for Single ability dependency.

Sad in a way, the levels between 4 (warcaster) to finally getting Elven accuracy at lvl 10 will be a long one.
Also if I do take them in this order, do I dip one level sorcerer at 5 to get the GFB and BB cantrip? nah right? straight for extra attack.

/edit: guess I am dumb, if I dip something at lvl 5 I should dip hexblade, also gives me the cantrips and the SAD....

You shouldn't dip at level 5 since you want extra attack.
I would say don't leave paladin until level 6 or 7, depends on the Oath.

And there is an argument to be made for Hexblade: you'll overshadow your teammates less.
Also, I would recommend V.Human instead to take Res (CON) or Heavy Armor Master at 1st-level, and then Warcaster at level 4.
Elven Accuracy is good but as a gish you're already spread quite thin with having to take Warcaster & Res (CON) being also really good.
If you're set on Half-Elf, then carry on as usual, but I think you'll feel not having Res (CON) at 1st-level quite a lot, and you will only make up for the race choice at 10th-level, which is a long way off.

Dimcair
2019-08-04, 10:15 PM

And there is an argument to be made for Hexblade: you'll overshadow your teammates less.
Also, I would recommend V.Human instead to take Res (CON) or Heavy Armor Master at 1st-level, and then Warcaster at level 4.
Elven Accuracy is good but as a gish you're already spread quite thin with having to take Warcaster & Res (CON) being also really good.
If you're set on Half-Elf, then carry on as usual, but I think you'll feel not having Res (CON) at 1st-level quite a lot, and you will only make up for the race choice at 10th-level, which is a long way off.

extra attack>cantrips, got it.

The Vhuman I dislike, I dont want to doubletap for the con, so either warcaster OR resilient not both, hence the elf is the better match.
And if i want to go sword and board to up my ac to 21 or more asap then i dont want heavy armor master, i dont want to be hit by mobs at that point and anything else that hits me will hit harder anyway.

jdolch
2019-08-06, 09:54 AM

Elven Accuracy is good but as a gish you're already spread quite thin with having to take Warcaster & Res (CON)being also really good.

I don't think Resilient(Con) is worth it. If you already have the Warcaster feat and a +4 Aura of Protection it is very unlikely that you fail that saving throw. Speaking of Unlikely: With Plate Armor+Shield+Defensive Fighting Style your AC is already 21 (23 with Shield of Faith up). IF anybody should hit you, you cast shield for an AC of 26 (28). That very likely means that there is a 5% chance to actually have to make that saving throw in which case you still have ~+8 and advantage on it. I don't think the freak occurrence of you actually losing your concentration justifies a feat.

bendking
2019-08-06, 10:35 AM
I don't think Resilient(Con) is worth it. If you already have the Warcaster feat and a +4 Aura of Protection it is very unlikely that you fail that saving throw. Speaking of Unlikely: With Plate Armor+Shield+Defensive Fighting Style your AC is already 21 (23 with Shield of Faith up). IF anybody should hit you, you cast shield for an AC of 26 (28). That very likely means that there is a 5% chance to actually have to make that saving throw in which case you still have ~+8 and advantage on it. I don't think the freak occurrence of you actually losing your concentration justifies a feat.

That's a good point. Still, there are other nice options to take: Heavy Armor Master, Inspiring Leader, Mounted Combatant (Find Steed), Ritual Caster, Shield Master, Tough...
All would be better than Elven Accuracy IMO, since you would actually them for most of the game, unlike Elven Accuracy which you would get at level 10 with most Sorcadins.