PDA

View Full Version : Custom Minor Magic Items - Review

carrdrivesyou
2019-08-03, 11:00 AM
I am currently building a game world for my next 5e game, and I thought it would be nifty to add a few minor trinkets to it. Nothing major, just little useful things that could be useful to the party. I would like them to go through review before I put them into play, however. What do you think Playgrounders?

True Strike Gloves (50gp): Once per day, you may cast the True Strike Cantrip on yourself as a Bonus Action once per day.

Elemental Ring (100gp): Three times per day, you may channel any elemental spell through this ring to change it to the ring’s element instead. Example: Ray of Frost becomes Ray of Fire.

Healing Potion (50gp): Bonus Action to drink. Action to pour down someone else’s gullet.

Eternal Cantrip Wand (150gp): As an Action, you can activate the wand, casting the cantrip stored within. The wand functions twice per day.

Rod of Rope (450gp): As an Action, you may fire the grappling hooked end of this rod at any surface, up to 100 feet away. Regardless of what it strikes, the hook will stick to it, then deploy an identical hook from the opposite end as an anchor. The middle portion may then be used as a zipline. The Rod functions twice per day. Retracting the rope does not count as a use.

Potion of Vanishing (75gp): Drinking this potion makes the drinker invisible for 3 rounds.

Fine Rations (5gp): By eating Fine Rations, you gain 1d6 temporary hit points for the day.

Mount Boots (400gp): Once per day, you may summon a spectral mount (horse, pony, etc.) beneath yourself. The mount comes with a saddle and bridle, but not saddlebags. The creature will last for 5 hours or until the rider dismounts. The mount does not tire out, but a single point of damage will destroy it.

Bag of Holding (350gp): This backpack is made of fine quality leather. It can hold up to 200 pounds in its extradimensional space. Retrieving an item from the bag requires an Action. If the bag is ruptured, its contents are scattered on the Astral Plane.

Milk Jug (85gp): Produces milk, water, or cheap ale three times per day. (Enough for 1 person)

Empty Plate (85gp): Produces enough stale bread for 1 person each morning.

Coward’s Pendant (75gp): The wearer of this pendant may use the Disengage action once as a Bonus Action. The pendant must be worn for this to function. When activated, the pendant screams, “I’m a coward!” The sound can be heard up to 60 feet away. This amulet can be used twice before shattering.

Weapon Crystal (Elemental) (50gp): This odd crystal attaches itself to any metal object. When attached to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 point of its damage type to any target it strikes.

Fey Ring (125gp): This silver band bears a single semi-precious stone. As an Action, the bearer may cast the Misty Step spell on themselves. The ring and gem disintegrate after use.

Sundark Goggles (15gp): Wearing these goggles protects the user’s eyes from harsh sunlight, removing penalties from Sunlight Sensitivity.

Headband of the Quick-Witted (60gp): You feel much more clever and think more clearly while wearing this headband. You receive a +1 bonus to Initiative.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-03, 04:32 PM
Overall not bad but the health potion as a bonus action would greatly reduce the threat of combat and steps on the toes of the Fighter (Second Wind) and Rogue Thief (Fast Hands). I'm not really sure why you rewrote the bag of holding? The True Strike Gloves makes a pretty useless (outside of Sorcerer) cantrip useable, just be aware whoever you give it to will have a source of at will advantage. The Potion of Vanishing I would be careful of, from how it's written it sounds like concentration free Greater Invisibility for the average duration of a combat. Otherwise nothing seems particularly gamebreaking and some seem quite fun!

PhantomSoul
2019-08-03, 05:07 PM
For the Potion of Vanishing, it's not specified whether it ends if you Attack or Cast a Spell (like the regular Potion of Invisibility and the Level 2 Invisibility Spell) or not (like the Level 4 Greater Invisibility Spell), suggesting it doesn't. Is that intended? (Same concern as Dork Forge -- almost didn't notice!)

Overall not bad but the health potion as a bonus action would greatly reduce the threat of combat and steps on the toes of the Fighter (Second Wind) and Rogue Thief (Fast Hands).

In my main groups that's been the normal rule, and it works out nicely (and also seems to help motivate people to use potions as a preventative measure, rather than relying on potions or spells to bring people back up from 0, which does obviously also still happen!).

True Strike Gloves (50gp): Once per day, you may cast the True Strike Cantrip on yourself as a Bonus Action once per day.
"Once per day" is repeated, but seems fine.

Weapon Crystal (Elemental) (50gp): This odd crystal attaches itself to any metal object. When attached to a weapon, the weapon deals 1 point of its damage type to any target it strikes.
It might be nicer to increase the cost and the damage; 1 point may not feel like much and might get slightly tedious to worry about, depending on the player. This would be potent in a few niche cases though (e.g. blocking Troll regeneration or blocking Zombie re-upping).

Sundark Goggles (15gp): Wearing these goggles protects the user’s eyes from harsh sunlight, removing penalties from Sunlight Sensitivity.
From the cost, it seems like this might be an in-game fix to help out PCs with Sunlight Sensitivity? (If so, though, also consider that opponents quite reasonably would get them if they're mildly accessible and they have any reasonable likelihood of being in a sunlit area, particularly depending on what commonfolks' gold is normally like.)