PDA

View Full Version : Analysis A love letter to clerics and rules geeks

goodyarn
2019-08-03, 04:09 PM
I love strip #1173, for two reasons:

It's like a love letter to clerics and their obscure dogma, through which the hand of your god can be seen and recognized. Clerics can be bland. This was kinda inspiring.

It's like a love letter to every roleplaying rules geek, who is able to put together the details of the system and see something hidden, maybe even something new.

brian 333
2019-08-03, 04:39 PM
It has been The Giant's theme from the first page. He deconstructs the rules and highlights them.

"I failed a spot check."

"My raven who has always been with me..."

*Durkon is a box of Band Aids.*

He has gotten more serious and better at it over the years, but it is still a theme that runs through every character's story arc from page one.

The awesome just keeps getting awesommer.

Xyril
2019-08-03, 07:00 PM
That's the point of having rules, right?

I mean, I try not to let rules-lawyering get in the way of role play (or for that matter, fun in general), but the rulebooks are a nice shared language for letting the players come up with something to surprise the GM once in a way, and to give the GM some guidance for coming up with a response to something he never planned for. For me, those moments are always the highlights of the game.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-08-05, 04:38 AM
That's the point of having rules, right?

I mean, I try not to let rules-lawyering get in the way of role play (or for that matter, fun in general), but the rulebooks are a nice shared language for letting the players come up with something to surprise the GM once in a way, and to give the GM some guidance for coming up with a response to something he never planned for. For me, those moments are always the highlights of the game.

agreed up until the party uses a pinata, a wizard, three stockings filled with cake, and an old sock, to one hi the bbeg...

D.One
2019-08-06, 11:44 AM
agreed up until the party uses a pinata, a wizard, three stockings filled with cake, and an old sock, to one hi the bbeg...

Did they throw all the other stuff as a distraction and then the wizard hit him? :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

The Pilgrim
2019-08-06, 12:10 PM

Was half a brick also involved in the plan?

D.One
2019-08-06, 02:10 PM
Was half a brick also involved in the plan?

Was it a Half-brick Wizard?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-06, 02:15 PM

Possibly he was a wizzard instead.

Grey Wolf

The Pilgrim
2019-08-06, 05:36 PM

Well, a wizard whose weapon of choice to defeat the big bad is an old sock filled with half a brick, points to a certain famous character from a famous flat world.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-06, 05:38 PM
Well, a wizard whose weapon of choice to defeat the big bad is an old sock filled with half a brick, points to a certain famous character from a famous flat world.

Let’s be fair, he’d use a new sock if he had them.

It really highlights how appropriate it was his promotion to professor of cruel and unusual geography

Grey Wolf

Fyraltari
2019-08-06, 05:51 PM

It really highlights how appropriate it was his promotion to professor of cruel and unusual geography

Grey Wolf
I kinda wonder what his lessons are like:

"Alright, if you ever happen to be in [place], well I've been there and my advice is "don't". Any questions?

-Sir, that's your advice on any place that isn't Ankh-Morpork.

-Well, that's also my advice for Ankh-Morpork, to be honest. But that doesn,'t leave many places to be, then. 'xcept over the edge of the Disk, of course, but I did that and it wasn't great either."

Xyril
2019-08-06, 06:53 PM

What, you don't have the supplement with the tables for pinatas?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-06, 08:27 PM
I kinda wonder what his lessons are like:

"Alright, if you ever happen to be in [place], well I've been there and my advice is "don't". Any questions?

-Sir, that's your advice on any place that isn't Ankh-Morpork.

-Well, that's also my advice for Ankh-Morpork, to be honest. But that doesn,'t leave many places to be, then. 'xcept over the edge of the Disk, of course, but I did that and it wasn't great either."

He probably teaches in classroom 3b, so happily, his students need not worry about asking questions.

Grey Wolf

Squire Doodad
2019-08-06, 08:38 PM

Grey Wolf

A new sock will have better stats, but the bonuses you can tack onto something for being an...ah..."artifact (technically)" are quite impressive.

Xyril
2019-08-06, 11:09 PM
A new sock will have better stats, but the bonuses you can tack onto something for being an...ah..."artifact (technically)" are quite impressive.

Can a sock be a Weapon of Legacy?

ijuinkun
2019-08-07, 12:19 AM
Can a sock be a Weapon of Legacy?

Perhaps if it was his grandfather's sock . . .

Quebbster
2019-08-07, 12:45 AM
He probably teaches in classroom 3b, so happily, his students need not worry about asking questions.

Grey Wolf

Isn't everyone teaching in classroom 3B?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-07, 07:21 AM
Isn't everyone teaching in classroom 3B?

Precisely.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-07, 04:11 PM
Perhaps if it was his grandfather's sock . . .

"This sock was my father's sock, and his father's sock before him, and his father's sock before him, and..."
*115 iterations in*

"...his father's sock before him, and-"
"Let me guess, it was that guy's great great grandfather's sock?"
"Well, no, they didn't have socks back then."

D.One
2019-08-07, 04:23 PM
"This sock was my father's sock, and his father's sock before him, and his father's sock before him, and..."
*115 iterations in*

"...his father's sock before him, and-"

"For lasting so long, it's surely a hell of a sock"

Squire Doodad
2019-08-07, 04:31 PM
"For lasting so long, it's surely a hell of a sock"

"Not at all- I even went ahead and got it consecrated by a Deva just to make sure"

brian 333
2019-08-07, 04:55 PM
It has been mended so many times it has become a darned sock.

Quebbster
2019-08-08, 05:37 AM
It has been mended so many times it has become a darned sock.

The sock of Theseus?

Fyraltari
2019-08-08, 11:23 AM
The sock of Theseus?
I believe ‘‘It is the Thing and the whole of the Thing’’ is the consecrated saying.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-08, 11:28 AM
I believe ‘‘It is the Thing and the whole of the Thing’’ is the consecrated saying.

No, for consecrated socks is "It's the Thing and the hole in the Thing"

Grey Wolf

D.One
2019-08-08, 12:16 PM

Grey Wolf

The Sacred Sock of Thinghole.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-08, 02:50 PM
Chekov's Sock.

Fyraltari
2019-08-08, 02:58 PM

Grey Wolf

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1ep7zZpTYGcDe/200.webp?cid=790b7611b6fdf27766ae8c77546b4e13e3390 0d6fbd62366&rid=200.webp

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-08, 03:10 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/1ep7zZpTYGcDe/200.webp?cid=790b7611b6fdf27766ae8c77546b4e13e3390 0d6fbd62366&rid=200.webp

This link is blocked at my work, and doesn't show up on my phone, so I'm slightly scare of what I'll see when I get home.

Grey Wolf

The Pilgrim
2019-08-08, 03:48 PM

Grey Wolf

And the Holey Brotherhood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) shows up again, at last!

That would make them one of the longest brick jokes of the comic.

Or half-a-brick jokes, at least.

Schroeswald
2019-08-08, 03:54 PM
And the Holey Brotherhood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) shows up again, at last!

That would make them one of the longest brick jokes of the comic.

Or half-a-brick jokes, at least.

Just a holey brick joke

Squire Doodad
2019-08-08, 03:56 PM
Just a holey brick joke

Of course, Thor giving Elan a Colon Tumor trumps all...

Schroeswald
2019-08-08, 04:04 PM
Of course, Thor giving Elan a Colon Tumor trumps all...

I don't know, anything not mentioned since comic 73 would beat it if it was mentioned next strip.

The Pilgrim
2019-08-08, 04:38 PM
The longest possible brick joke in OOTS would be the last book ending with a last panel of Xykon being greeted in hell by his zombie dog.

Schroeswald
2019-08-08, 04:46 PM
The longest possible brick joke in OOTS would be the last book ending with a last panel of Xykon being greeted in hell by his zombie dog.

If we're counting that the longest possible brick joke would be seeing some hardworking blacksmith trolls in the last comic.

Fyraltari
2019-08-08, 05:09 PM
How about Belkar getting skill points?

Schroeswald
2019-08-08, 05:12 PM
How about Belkar getting skill points?
Well any reference to the first strip in the final strip would win in real time but the person above me suggested something from SoD so I found something chronologically earliest.

CriticalFailure
2019-08-08, 05:16 PM
Or you could have the Gods bickering about whether to update to 5E. I could maybe see The Dark One wanting to give Pathfinder a try because the goblins and hobgoblins are standard races.

Schroeswald
2019-08-08, 05:44 PM
Or you could have the Gods bickering about whether to update to 5E. I could maybe see The Dark One wanting to give Pathfinder a try because the goblins and hobgoblins are standard races.
They'll have the mechanics be put up to a vote!

mcain6925
2019-08-08, 06:41 PM
I have read silently for years. But I'll register just to say that I'm satisfied if none of the other hanging plot lines ever get closed up in exchange for "Were ye really so dumb ta think for one second tha ye could beat Durkon -- Durkon, of all the folks in this great big beaut'ful world... in a fight tha revolved around followin' tha rules?!?"

Squire Doodad
2019-08-08, 11:14 PM

TDO: "We've been in 3.5e for a few years, have any of you considered trying a...different setting?"
Thor: "Oh, like going with 4e?"
TDO: "I...yes...definitely what I was suggesting." *hides Pathfinder box*