PDA

View Full Version : The Magician

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:28 PM
How would you make a magician PC? Not a wizard or even a wand of prestidigitation, just a really good stage magician, like Houdini. Obviously, you'd want full ranks in escape artists, open lock, slight of hand, hide and move silently- but what classes? what feats? any good PrCs? Exemplar might be a good one. The only drawback would be uselessness in combat, but I'd want to have some tricks up my sleeve for that, say, hiding from and confounding my enemies, handcuffing them to each other, or something.

Thoughts?

The Professor
2007-10-10, 10:32 PM
Rogue or Bard.

Escape Artist and Sleight of Hand. You're set. Perform: Oratory couldn't hurt either.

Or Expert. I do so adore those NPC classes for some reason.

Edit: As for the hand-cuffing in combat, I believe there's a feat in the PHII that, with a bluff check, you get someone trying to hit you to hit their buddy instead. Not a far-fetched thing to request that you skillfully manacle them together or something instead.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:36 PM
Yeah, rogue is an obvious choice. Or rogue mixed with some expert levels for the bonus feats.

Really, I'm more interested in feat suggestions and combat tricks ideas.

reorith
2007-10-10, 10:50 PM
skill focus escape artist + sleight of hand are a must. improved feint and combat expertise could be relevant.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-10, 11:05 PM
Bard or Beguiler would fit the bill due to the appropriate skill lists and real spells in case something goes wrong. Who needs to fake a teleport when you can do it for real?:smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 11:11 PM
That IS the problem with the magician. It's also the problem with the charlitan, con man, and snake oil salesman: why perform fake magic when so many can do the real thing?

I'll add a stipulation: the character is for a hypothetical, no-magic campaign setting, or maybe a steampunk setting.

leperkhaun
2007-10-11, 12:23 AM
Rogue with some minor magic items. Or i think a beguiler could work.

The_Snark
2007-10-11, 12:49 AM
I had a beguiler stage magician once. They have all the necessary skills, plus some magic (but not so much that they can rely exclusively on magic to put on the show). The occasional subtle illusion can add to a show. And Charm Person is a great way of silencing hecklers.

Plus it makes you "useful in a combat situation," or some such nonsense. Really, if the party had only AGREED that they could make a great circus...