PDA

View Full Version : summoning variant for fiends and banishment

Lance Tankmen
2019-08-03, 06:13 PM
if a fiend, example a nycanoloth, summoned another nycanoloth and the summoner nycanoloth was hit with banishment would it remove both ??

Lunali
2019-08-03, 06:32 PM
Nycanoloths would have to be homebrewed in 5e so the rules could be different, but in general, the second one would remain summoned, though depending on where the banishment ended up, the first one could die resulting in the summon ending.

For PCs, banishment will usually be done from their home plane, resulting in incapacitation, causing a loss of concentration. If they are instead banished to their home plane, (and don't die as a result) they can maintain concentration on their spells, so their summons remain.

Nagog
2019-08-03, 06:37 PM
Great question. I think it would boil down to concentration. If the banished Nycaloth kept concentrating despite being on it's home plane, presumably the summoned one would remain. However, unless this battle is on the Nycaloth's home plane, the banished one would not return at the end of the spell's duration (unless the spell is disrupted), so keeping it's summon there may be a waste and get their summoned friend killed.

Lance Tankmen
2019-08-03, 07:15 PM
Nycanoloths would have to be homebrewed in 5e so the rules could be different, but in general, the second one would remain summoned, though depending on where the banishment ended up, the first one could die resulting in the summon ending.

For PCs, banishment will usually be done from their home plane, resulting in incapacitation, causing a loss of concentration. If they are instead banished to their home plane, (and don't die as a result) they can maintain concentration on their spells, so their summons remain. Why home brewed ? oh i misspelled the name that's why. Nycaloth, wasnt looking at my book. but the monster from PG 314. in the MM.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-03, 09:21 PM
Nycaloth doesn't need to concentrate to keep the fiend summoned, and the listed ways to send the summoned fiend back are a bonus action on the Nycaloth's part or the duration running out. Banishing the summoner won't do anything to summon, but it'll disappear on it's own <1 minute later anyway.

Sigreid
2019-08-03, 09:25 PM
Not sure about 53 but I now it used to be that when a demon or devil summoned another of their kind it was described as calling in a favor and not a normal summoning.

Envyus
2019-08-04, 10:28 AM
No.

The listed way to get rid of a nycaloth's companions are, 1 minute passing, the original nycaloth dying, the nycaloth dismissing it as a bonus action. Banishing the original Nycaloth fills none of these.