PDA

View Full Version : Character Build help

Zellsantal
2019-08-04, 01:28 AM
Hey all I have an up coming game coming and looking to what I want to make, I have one build in mind and a few ideas of other charaters but not sure how I should buld them. The game setting is that magic is outlawed and psionics are in the world, that said I will say i haven't done much on the psionic side but I would like to give it a try and we are starting out as 6th level. I was thinking as of one of my ideas of doing a psionic mage charcter but not sure what combo would be alright, I was thinking psion rogue/warlock but not sure how well that would go, I also thought of psion/sorc going into cerebremancer. What do you guys think or what path do you think I should go for?

For my other character I don't know if the Dm would let e use it but hell I still like to see if I can lol. So I am making a full orc with the half ogre and half minotaur templates. From what I have gather down below are the stats that I would get with this combo, does it look right or did I do the math wrong?

Str: +20 (+4 orc, +4 half orger, +4 half minotaur, +8 large size)
Con: +6 (+2 half minotaur, +4 large)
Dex: -2 (-2 Large)
Int: -6 (-2 orc, 2 half ogre, -2 half minotaur)
Wis: -2 (-2 orc)
Cha: -4 (-2 orc, -2 half ogre)
Natural amor: +6 (+2 half orgre, +2 half minotaur, +2 half minotaur)

The build I am going for this is 1 barbarion (lion totem)/ 1 level of psionic warrior/ the rest I have yet to deside, I have thought fighter or maybe just straight up psionic warrior but then i wouldn't have a full bab (then agian if my man is right with str I might not have to worry about that lol) . However I am open for suggestions.
Why only one psion warrior is because I want the sizing power and able to go gargantuan, one of the psionic powers lets you go two sizes up for a time, much better then the enlarge spell. Talking about size's after reading on the MM to my understanding after large the only stats that change when going higher then large is natual ac and AC/Attack lowered by one point and incress dice damage. Is that right or does the stat's change differntly when going to a higher size then large?

My Next question would be about the CR and LA, the templates they all said one each taking a total of 4 of my 6 levels. But it also stats on each templet this: "Same as the base creature if it did not gain a size category, otherwise same as the base creature +1." so my question is this being said on both would it mean I still have to pay 4 of my levels or only 2 all together?

Maat Mons
2019-08-04, 02:30 AM
When you say "magic is outlawed," does that include psionics and invocations? Does in include gnome spell-like abilities? In any case, psionics is far and away the easiest type of magic to conceal.

Bear in mind, you can't spend more power points on a single manifestation than your manifester level. So in order to get two size increases out of Expansion, you need a manifester level of 7. Which means 7 levels of Psychic Warrior.

If you're going to have the giant type, and you want to be a manifester, I'd consider the Primordial Giant template (Secrets of Xen'drik, p79). It's -4 str, -2 con, +4 int, +4 cha.

Being gargantuan size may not always be practical. In fact, being large size may not always be practical. Additionally, growing two size categories right in front of people will probably be a dead giveaway that you're using magic.

Zellsantal
2019-08-04, 08:15 AM
I will say I am not sure if magic like abilities would count but at the same time if there are psionic walking aorund I would think they be alright but I have to watch out of usieng magic. And yes your right that it is not practical to change into a over size orc with a set of horns like moster who would be more then willing to kill anyoe that's within his reach, but it sure as hell sounds like fun LOL!

----------------------------
Expansion
Psychometabolism
Level:
Psychic warrior 1
Display: Olfactory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Power Points: 1
This power causes instant growth, doubling your height, length, and width and multiplying your weight by 8. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one. You gain a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum effective Dexterity score of 1), a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, and a -1 size penalty to Armor Class due to your increased size.
If your new size is Large or larger, you have a space of at least 10 feet and a natural reach of at least 10 feet. This power doesn’t change your speed. If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and can make a Strength check (using your increased Strength score) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you—you cannot crush yourself to death by increasing your size.
All your equipment, worn or carried, is similarly expanded by this power. Melee and projectile weapons deal more damage.
Other psionic or magical properties are not affected by this power. Any affected item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them). Multiple effects that increase size do not stack, which means (among other things) that you can’t use a second manifestation of this power to further expand yourself.
Augment
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
If you spend 6 additional power points, this power increases your size by two size categories instead of one. You gain a +4 size bonus to Strength, a -4 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum effective Dexterity score of 1), a -2 size penalty on attack rolls, and a -2 size penalty to Armor Class due to your increased size.
If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action instead of a standard action.
If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 10 minutes per level rather than 1 round per level.
---------------------------

Now enlighten me of where it saids in the power I need to be a higher level of the class that can use this power. Useing 9 pp I can go two sizer bigger and it last of to 10 minutes, so where in the book may I ask does it say I need to be 7th level just in order to do that combo?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-04, 09:37 AM
If you want to mix Psionics and Rogue, go something like Spellthief 1/ Psion or Ardent 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9 for the build. (Make it a psionic version of Avenger (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) if you don't want to be evil.) You'll need Practiced Manifester, and the Spellthief level will allow you to use wands of spells from any school that class gets access to, namely Wraithstrike. Get Mind Cripple from Psychic Assassin to do 2 Int damage on every sneak attack, and a single full attack with TWF can outright disable most bruiser opponents regardless of their hp.

Keep in mind that per the current errata, the text description of an ability overrules the table if they disagree, and the text for Psychic Assassin says it advances manifesting at the 5th level. Even with that, going Psion won't have 9th level powers by 20th level, but an Ardent will since Practiced Manifester allows that class (and only that class) to learn higher level powers. If you do go with Ardent, be sure to take Substitute Powers (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a), and you'll probably want to use Inertial Armor with a Monk's Belt to add your Wis bonus to AC.

Make the character a Whisper Gnome in Races of Stone, and if you're running into a lot of enemy spellcasters take Extra Silence and maybe even Silencing Strike. You can use Silence on yourself and get close to them, as it won't hinder your own psionic powers. Take Weapon Finesse and TWF, wear Gloves of the Balanced Hand, and add an enhancement bonus to Dex to those gloves per MIC p234. Get two of your favorite light weapon with wand chambers, put a wand of Wraithstrike in one of them and probably a wand of Nerveskitter in the other. Per the Rules Compendium a wand takes the same action to activate as the spell it contains. Your weapon damage won't matter much, so go with something cool like deep crystal punching daggers.

Use psionic powers like Energy Ray or Crystal Shard to deal sneak attacks at range. Be sure to take Time Hop as it can be used on a physically strong opponent's primary weapon, or on a door, or a boat, etc. It's also a good idea to get Energy Missile (via Expanded Knowledge if necessary) as that can destroy opponents' weapons, shields, armor, spell component pouch, divine focus, and person, as well as doors, bridges, boats, ladders, a pillar holding up the ceiling, etc. Get a psicrystal (Nimble or Hero) and take Vigor and Share Pain, always keep Share Pain on it as its hardness 8 reduces every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by as much. Use Vigor and share that with it for a huge hp cushion, keep the psicrystal in a compartment on your person so opponents never have line of sight/effect to it and can't target it or hit it with area effects. Give the psicrystal a Healing Belt which it can use on you during combat when needed.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-04, 12:26 PM
Now enlighten me of where it saids in the power I need to be a higher level of the class that can use this power. Useing 9 pp I can go two sizer bigger and it last of to 10 minutes, so where in the book may I ask does it say I need to be 7th level just in order to do that combo?
It is under the general rules for psionics.

The variables of a power’s effect often depend on its manifester level, which is equal to your psionic class level. A power that can be augmented for additional effect is also limited by your manifester level (you can’t spend more power points on a power than your manifester level)

You might want to review the core rules on psionics before using a psionic class.