PDA

View Full Version : Skilled Diviner

Eldariel
2019-08-04, 04:23 AM
Joining a game with Monk, Ranger, Pally and War Wizard. The biggest houserule is that a short rest lasts 8h and a long rest 24h. Starting off on level 3, probably low item access as the world is sort of post-apocalyptic.

I ultimately decided that I'd like to play a Diviner as Cleric and Lore Bard ultimately didn't give me all the spells I wanted (even using all Magical Secrets, I still found myself missing basic stuff like some of Misty Step/Fly/Counterspell/Haste/Contingency/etc.) and Artificer wasn't allowed due to the DM being fairly inexperienced.

However, I also want to be able to partake in at least basic skill monkery, as the party is somewhat lacking on that front. I'm currently weighting my options and would like some feedback. Either way, I'm definitely going Variant Human and I'd want at least Perception, Stealth, Investigation and Arcana. Sleight of Hand, Religion and Insight would be a bonus (as well as Thieves' Tools and Poisoner's Tools).

Bard 1/Wizard X
Pros: Lots of proficiencies. Some armors and weapons. Inspiration.
Cons: Delayed access to Wizard spells and ASIs. No expertise.

Cleric 1/Wizard X
Pros: Expertise in Knowledges. Weapon and armor proficiencies. Guidance and Bless (though Pally prolly Blesses already).
Cons: Delayed access to Wizard spells amd ASIs. Fewer proficiencies overall.

Wizard X picking Prodigy
Pros: Unfettered casting. Open Expertise. Thieves' Tools.
Cons: Feat wasted (how much relative value does one feat grant compared to a level?). Only 4 skill proficiencies (could maybe outsource Perception to Familiar?) and one Expertise (probably Stealth).

Some options I'm overlooking? Really don't want to lose any casting but for a good enough option, I might stomach 1 level.

LudicSavant
2019-08-04, 05:37 AM
Wizard X picking Prodigy
Pros: Unfettered casting. Open Expertise. Thieves' Tools.
Cons: Feat wasted (how much relative value does one feat grant compared to a level?). Only 4 skill proficiencies (could maybe outsource Perception to Familiar?) and one Expertise (probably Stealth).

Wizard X with prodigy would actually have 1 expertise, 6 skill proficiencies, 3 tool proficiencies, and 2 languages (don't forget that Prodigy and Human both give you proficiencies). A faster spell progression will also help significantly with noncombat things, assuming you're putting it to good use.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-08-04, 06:05 AM
I've been playing a half-elf diviner with the skilled feat (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=691366) for a few years (we were allowed a feat at level one on the condition that we only got half an ASI at level 4). She works very well as a skillmonkey/face in a party that has lacked any charismatic or intelligent members for most of its run. I have to hide in combat, obviously. :smallsigh:

I feel like dipping a level in another class wouldn't be especially beneficial to my build. It's spread thin enough as is, trying to cover all of the mental skills. I suspect you'd have the same issue if you were trying to cover Dex/Int/Wis skills at the same time.

Eldariel
2019-08-04, 11:21 AM
Wizard X with prodigy would actually have 1 expertise, 6 skill proficiencies, 3 tool proficiencies, and 2 languages (don't forget that Prodigy and Human both give you proficiencies). A faster spell progression will also help significantly with noncombat things, assuming you're putting it to good use.

Ah yeah, I somehow forgot to count my background proficiencies entirely. Though surely the exact number of each proficiency would depend on my background? I guess this does it though. I could go:

8 Str
16 Dex
13 Con (14 with Resilient)
16 Int
12 Wis
8 Cha

and pick up Resilient: Con and Prodigy. Boring feats, but they'll do in a pinch. Then I could go:
Arcana
Religion
Perception
Stealth (Expertise)
Investigate
Insight

and

Alchemist's Tools (? - I'll need to consult with the DM to figure out, which item types I can craft with which tools) Taking suggestions here.
Thieves' Tools
Poisoner's Kit (Good for equipping e.g. skeleton archers, aye?)

and

Common
Whatever
Whatever (I'll get Comprehend Languages in no time anyways and I'm a diviner so casting it is nary a cost post-6). Though taking suggestions here.

EDIT: Or I could try to roll stats and see if I got lucky for a more MAD build.