PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Could Mr. Scruffy be a God?

Acisran
2019-08-04, 05:30 AM
I apologize if this has come up before, but a cursory search turned up nothing.

I was re-reading the last couple hundred comics just for funsies and an Idea hit me. I was focusing on background action and Mr. Scruffy sure does look like something more intelligent is behind those eyes. It really hit home when Mr. Scruffy was the one to shock Belkar awake during the fight with evil-vampire-Durkon. Now, I do own several cats and I do know that they are rather intelligent, but it just seemed to me that there is something more to Mr. Scruffy. Like he is either the physical manifestation of a yellow-quiddity God or he is possessed by one. The only other piece of evidence I have to support my idea other than his behavior is his eye color. Most mortal beings in this comic have black dots for eyes, but outsiders don't.

Or am I reading too much into things?

Schroeswald
2019-08-04, 05:56 AM
Yes, on all accounts, Mr. Scruffy is of course a god and you are reading far too much into this.

GloatingSwine
2019-08-04, 06:04 AM
Mr. Scruffy was the pet of a relatively high level NPC who was using him in a long running deception and had probably picked up some Animal Handling along the way to train him to play his part, who then became animal companion to a mid to high level ranger.

He is almost certainly smarter than the average housecat.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-04, 09:23 AM
Mr. Scruffy is a god. All evidence that suggests otherwise is a conspiracy on behalf of the goblinoids.
How did that go again?

MILK FOR THE CAT GOD
YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE

Acisran
2019-08-04, 10:48 AM
Mr. Scruffy is a god. All evidence that suggests otherwise is a conspiracy on behalf of the goblinoids.
How did that go again?

MILK FOR THE CAT GOD
YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE

Thanks for the vivid imagery. Now all I can see is Mr. Scruffy in power armor raining destruction to all that run away with a banner that reads Klawrn the Berserker and an axe named Gorekitten.

Schroeswald
2019-08-04, 11:42 AM
Clearly the 12 PCs (why are you looking at me like that?) will all get gods with the purple quiditty to represent them (and Mr. Scruffy is one of them), (only mostly joking)
Roy: IDK, something something Greenhilt
Elan: Banjo (duh)
Haley: Gold Woman thing
Belkar: Mr. Scruffy
V: Vaarsuvius (yes)
Durkon: Lawful Good something something
Redcloak: The Dark One
Xykon: Xykon the Terrible (that’d be funny)
MiTD: The Monster in the Light (him but not in darkness)
Nale: Planny Man
Sabine: The IFCC fused into some weird three headed evil thing
Thog: Giggles

woweedd
2019-08-04, 11:43 AM
I personally believe that Mr. Scruffy's being was made from the left-over threads of reality that once composed a god: Cat, the member of The Twelve, who died as his believers were drained by his arch-enemy Rat. He was replaced by the ascended God Rabbit, but his essence lives on. Obscure folkloric reference ho!

Riftwolf
2019-08-04, 11:52 AM
If Mr Scruffy is a God, then surely he'd be in cutaways to the Sapphire Guards afterlife. I'm kinda interested in the Sapphie Guard afterlife, and what their former leader is up to currently. So is Morrissey; we both wonder How Soon is Now.
I'll show myself out...

CriticalFailure
2019-08-04, 02:44 PM
Wow, you only just realized that Mr. Scruffy is a God? smdh

Not to mention the fact that goblinoids are obviously outsiders in the oots universe because they don't have black eyes.

Reboot
2019-08-04, 03:20 PM
I asked him if he's a god. He said yes.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-04, 05:02 PM
He's not a god. He is, however, half-Kneazel.

Jay R
2019-08-04, 06:04 PM
As soon as you realize what Vaarsuvius's gender is, and what creature the Monster in the Darkness is, then it becomes obvious what the true origin of Mr. Scruffy is, how it ties the Order's quest in with Frudu and the Ming, and why a doily is so powerful.

Schroeswald
2019-08-04, 06:11 PM
As soon as you realize what Vaarsuvius's gender is, and what creature the Monster in the Darkness is, then it becomes obvious what the true origin of Mr. Scruffy is, how it ties the Order's quest in with Frudu and the Ming, and why a doily is so powerful.
Of course, it all connects to the new purple pantheon I proposed, which I have a full backstory for (especially for "something something Greenhilt" and those like them) and didn't make them up one by one, and of course it hinges on the fact that the Monster in the Darkness is in fact a-

Squire Doodad
2019-08-04, 07:19 PM
Of course, it all connects to the new purple pantheon I proposed, which I have a full backstory for (especially for "something something Greenhilt" and those like them) and didn't make them up one by one, and of course it hinges on the fact that the Monster in the Darkness is in fact a-

I'm sorry? You didn't seem to finish.
Anyways, there's a huge thunderstorm, and I really hope the power doesn't blink while I'm writing this, but MitD is obviously the

thereaper
2019-08-04, 07:20 PM
Gods are immune to mind-affecting effects, such as phantasms like the one Belkar and Mr Scruffy were affected by.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-04, 07:22 PM
Gods are immune to mind-affecting effects, such as phantasms like the one Belkar and Mr Scruffy were affected by.

Hey! Don't rain on your parade with that logic!

Though maybe Mr. Scruffy wasn't affected by the phantasm, but rather used it to enter Belkar's subconscious?
Who knows?

Schroeswald
2019-08-04, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry? You didn't seem to finish.
Anyways, there's a huge thunderstorm, and I really hope the power doesn't blink while I'm writing this, but MitD is obviously the

Oh I'm sorry about that, power outage, but anyway I'll tell you V's gender since you seem to know what the MiTD is, V of course identifies as

denthor
2019-08-04, 10:19 PM
V on many occasions has self identified as an elf.

Once claimed to be in the monster manual.

She is a monster....maybe head for the dark. It is confusing.

Mr. Scruffy is an Avatar of the tiger. I present the ship scene where he chases the tiger as,proof.

thereaper
2019-08-05, 02:20 AM
Hey! Don't rain on your parade with that logic!

Though maybe Mr. Scruffy wasn't affected by the phantasm, but rather used it to enter Belkar's subconscious?
Who knows?

Right, right, uh... Some Epic Spells can override immunities! Maybe this was one of them!

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-05, 12:44 PM
As soon as you realize what Vaarsuvius's gender is, and what creature the Monster in the Darkness is, then it becomes obvious what the true origin of Mr. Scruffy is, how it ties the Order's quest in with Frudu and the Ming, and why a doily is so powerful. Wait, was there purple thread in the doily?

Riftwolf
2019-08-05, 05:43 PM
... My joke deserves far more recognition than it got.

Schroeswald
2019-08-05, 05:53 PM

I'm still annoyed at no one questioning my assertion that Xykon (and the other main villains) is a PC so I sympathize.

Dion
2019-08-05, 09:38 PM
When I come up with a joke I’m certain is hilarious, I like to repeat it a few times.

I’m sure people appreciate it.

CriticalFailure
2019-08-05, 11:15 PM
I'm still annoyed at no one questioning my assertion that Xykon (and the other main villains) is a PC so I sympathize.

that's because it's old news. everyone who was paying attention noticed that Xykon is a PC, Mr. Scruffy is a God, and goblins are outsiders from the get go.

ijuinkun
2019-08-06, 03:12 AM
Mr. Scruffy is an Avatar of the tiger. I present the ship scene where he chases the tiger as,proof.

It's the thrill of the fight. Rising up to the challenge of his rival.

Schroeswald
2019-08-06, 06:05 AM
that's because it's old news. everyone who was paying attention noticed that Xykon is a PC, Mr. Scruffy is a God, and goblins are outsiders from the get go.

I really thought I was picking up on some secret subtext there, and of course I presume everyone knows that Sabine is Redcloak's niece.

D.One
2019-08-06, 08:02 AM
I really thought I was picking up on some secret subtext there, and of course I presume everyone knows that Sabine is Redcloak's niece.

Nah... that would be too obvious and logical... :smalltongue:

Jay R
2019-08-06, 01:48 PM

The number of people who reply to it is not a good measure of how much it was enjoyed. I enjoyed "how Soon is now," but it didn't require a response.

I chuckled. I moved on.

CriticalFailure
2019-08-06, 02:17 PM
The number of people who reply to it is not a good measure of how much it was enjoyed. I enjoyed "how Soon is now," but it didn't require a response.

I chuckled. I moved on.

I'll make sure to post "lol epic" in the comments every time something makes me laugh going forward.

Lord Torath
2019-08-06, 03:31 PM
As anyone who's ever been owned by a cat could tell you, Yes, Mr. Scruffy is firmly convinced he's a God.

Dog: This tall, flat-furred, ape-person feeds me and waters me and plays with me and takes me for walks! It must be God!

Cat: This tall, flat-furred, ape-person feeds me and waters me and plays with me and cleans my litter box! I must be God!

We see Mr. Scruffy's memories of his mom and siblings when he was still a very young kitten. So probably not a 'God' god.
Also, Mr. Scruffy's story is very adorable, so if you haven't purchased that book/pdf, you really should!

Squire Doodad
2019-08-06, 07:50 PM
It's the thrill of the fight. Rising up to the challenge of his rival.

He saw one of his subjects to be meek and shy, so he took it upon himself to remedy this.

Throknor
2019-08-06, 09:17 PM
I asked him if he's a god. He said yes.

Good; he's ready for Zuul.

AchtungNight
2019-08-22, 01:59 PM
Maybe Mr. Scruffy is related to Goose from the Marvel universe.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-22, 03:08 PM
Meh, they're both lesser aspects of Greebo.

D.One
2019-08-22, 03:36 PM
Mr. Scruffy is one Lasagna away of proving he's the feline god from the Field of Gar.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-23, 12:14 AM
Better than being from a Cliff on the Heath.

D.One
2019-08-23, 07:29 AM
Better than being from a Cliff on the Heath.

Sure, but he has to deal with lots of Oddies...

deuterio12
2019-08-23, 07:48 AM
At the end of the comic it will be revealed the whole plot, including the snarl and countless world cycles, was just overdeity Mr. Scruffy having fun.