View Full Version : Its necessary to choose class?!

Dlabuga
2019-08-04, 11:15 AM
I知 not understanding something about classes.

Every single life (animal/humanoid/beast/dragon/etc) have the option to choose if want to get one?!

Or everybody have one??

Bronk
2019-08-04, 11:24 AM
I知 not understanding something about classes.

Every single life (animal/humanoid/beast/dragon/etc) have the option to choose if want to get one?!

Or everybody have one??

Any intelligent creature can take class levels (MM1 page 290). There are a lot of creatures out there with no intelligence (some undead, vermin, constructs, oozes, etc.) which can't advance with class levels, and a lot with animal intelligence of 1 or 2, which 'are not capable of detailed reasoning' (MM1 page 168) and don't advance with class levels either.

HouseRules
2019-08-04, 01:58 PM
Humanoids with the ability to gain class levels are denied Humanoid Racial Hit Dice is for balance reasons.

Instead of racial hit dice, they get the commoner non-player character class.

RedWarlock
2019-08-04, 03:44 PM
Humanoids with the ability to gain class levels are denied Humanoid Racial Hit Dice is for balance reasons.

Instead of racial hit dice, they get the commoner non-player character class.

Not exactly true. Gnolls, lizardfolk, and other humanoids with racial HD exist, and can still take class levels.

Particle_Man
2019-08-04, 03:47 PM
Also there is weirdness at the edges. Some Creatures with more than one racial hit dice have the option to play lesser versions of their race, with a special progression table for such creatures, but they have to finish that table痴 level progression before taking any class levels in, say, expert or fighter.

Also some classes, called prestige classes, can only be taken after meeting their prerequisites, which usually means taking other class levels first.

Dlabuga
2019-08-04, 05:20 PM
I値l try to be more clear.

I want to create a Kobold and get Dragonwrought feat.

I was reading about it and i saw something about be venerable.

But when i create a PC i need to choose/roll the age before choose the first feat, and after this the feat will check my age?

I need some clarification about it please

HouseRules
2019-08-04, 05:33 PM
Not exactly true. Gnolls, lizardfolk, and other humanoids with racial HD exist, and can still take class levels.

I have not seen them with over 50 racial hit dice.

GrayDeath
2019-08-04, 06:03 PM
[/QUOTE]

And that makes his statement invalid how,e xactly? ^^

But when i create a PC i need to choose/roll the age before choose the first feat, and after this the feat will check my age?

Easy. Clarify with your DM if you guys roll or choose the age. And if Dragonwrough Kobolds are allowed at all.
And if so, how his stand on allowing them to actually count as True Dragons is.

if all of that results in positives:
Declare that your Kobold is Venerable.
Choose the Dragonwrought feat when building the character.

Done.

So yes, as with all feats, the "game" (or the DM most likely^^) checks if you fulfill the necessary prereqisites. ^^

Crake
2019-08-04, 06:09 PM
And that makes his statement invalid how,e xactly? ^^

I think he was trying to say that they can't advance by racial HD, so while lizardfolk and bugbears have racial HD, they can't get more racial HD in lieu of class levels. Of course, that being said, humanoid racial HD is basically equivilent to an NPC class anyway, d8 HD, 3/4 bab, 2+int skill points, and good reflex saves, so actually, most NPC classes (barring commoner of course) are actually better, either giving more skill points (expert) or full bab (warrior)

HouseRules
2019-08-04, 06:14 PM
Humanoids cannot advanced by racial hit dice if they could advance by class.

Humanoid racial hit dice are somewhat the largest common denominator between warrior non player character class and the expert non player character class, with few places better than common denominator such as hit dice stays d8 instead of dropping to d6.

RedWarlock
2019-08-04, 09:18 PM
Strictly speaking, barring special exceptions like Barghests and Dusk Trolls, creatures with advancement by hit dice aren't actually taking levels in their racial hit-dice the way PCs and NPCs take class levels (with XP and such), those HD represent stronger individuals who are stronger/tougher by circumstance.

Thurbane
2019-08-04, 09:37 PM

True, but a Tren Were-Legendary Tiger is a Humanoid that has 30 RHD. :smalltongue:

Remuko
2019-08-05, 11:21 AM

You choose/roll age first but Dragonwrought is a feat that talks about how you were born, so even though you pick age before the feat, you always had the feat and thus got to that age with dragonwrought and thus benefit from it.

Rijan_Sai
2019-08-05, 11:42 AM
True, but a Tren Were-Legendary Tiger is a Humanoid that has 30 RHD. :smalltongue:

True, but 26 of those are animal HD*, instead of humanoid... but at least there's no class levels!:smalltongue:

*(Unless LT was reprinted somewhere outside of MM2 that I'm not aware of... also not sure where "Tren" are to look up their HD.)

Thurbane
2019-08-05, 04:44 PM
True, but 26 of those are animal HD*, instead of humanoid... but at least there's no class levels!:smalltongue:

*(Unless LT was reprinted somewhere outside of MM2 that I'm not aware of... also not sure where "Tren" are to look up their HD.)

You can get an extra 2 humanoid HD on there with the Multiheaded template...

Tren can be found in Serpent Kingdoms (p.87). Along with Dabus (EttDP p.192) they have the highest innate RHD (4) of any humanoids that I know of.