PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best dips for a Swashbuckling Dervish?

Citadel97501
2019-08-04, 11:50 AM
Hello all, I am working on a Swashbuckler with a single weapon (Green Flame Blade + Scimitar for flavor) so I was thinking that i would slip into Hex Blade, however I have also been looking at taking 3 levels of sorcerer instead simply due to Dragons Breath which I also find to be a lot of fun, and would provide a lot of bonuses as well.

So I was hoping for some opinions for this style of play, as I usually play control casters rather than a DPR role?

Eldoxar
2019-08-04, 01:22 PM
How would like to optimize it? To be a strong character throughout the game, or one who will become very strong though only at later levels (which is common for multiclass characters)?

In case you want to spam Green Flame Blade only, your weakness will be that you attack only once per turn so you might want to make sure that it hits. One option is to go for Battlemaster Fighter (you can learn GFB via the Magic Initiate Feat), another is to get Devil's Sight Invocation and Darkness spell as a Warlock.
Alternatively you can be a Barbarian and use Reckless Attack (silly, but works).

Dork_Forge
2019-08-04, 01:39 PM
A two level dip of Fighter would net you Action Surge for two attacks in one turn, take Dueling as your style to increase your flat damage. A Sorcerer dip (of at least 3) will get you Quicken to potentially attack 3 times in a turn when combined with action surge. For the Sorcerer Draconic will give you the equivalent AC of permanent Mage Armour and help not reduce your HP. Divine Soul would give you access to Cleric spells and Favored by the Gods to help ensure you hit with GFB/BB (I'd recommend having access to both just to mix up damage types and to apply whichever bonus damamge feature is more advantageous at the time).

It's worth noting that since your Sneak damage will be once on your turn only, you'll probably want to stick away from the multiattacking options for the cantrips anyway unless you're looking for as much regular damage as possible. I would go for Sorcerer over Warlock for this build but to be honest I'm not really a fan of Hexblade overall so I may be biased. I'd recommend taking Half Elf for your race and picking up either through multiclass or a feat Find Familiar and picking up Elven Accuracy.

MrStabby
2019-08-04, 01:42 PM
For a dervish I imagine you want cleric levels, possibly bard could be a substitute wish perform expertise?

Tesla Dragon
2019-08-04, 06:01 PM
To me, nothing says dervish quite like a Blade Bard dip, the fighting style and combat flourish ability would be a lot of fun, and you'd get a few spells to play with (and the ever sought out ability to mock your opponents to death).

Fighter and Ranger also bring heavier armor, the potential for shields, fighting styles and their own benefits, be it action surge or hunters mark.

Monk also feels like it could be an interesting dip if you can get your DM to allow scimitars as monk weapons (they're near identical to short swords). Unarmored defense, extra movement and the ability to fluff your bonus action attack as pommel strikes and hilt slaps.