PDA

View Full Version : This is irony correct?

denthor
2019-08-04, 11:31 PM
The vampire that was a member of a religious order that worships rocks got beaten by a stone.:smallbiggrin:

RatElemental
2019-08-04, 11:53 PM
The table was also made of wood, which is used to make paper, so rock beat paper if you torture the metaphor enough.

CriticalFailure
2019-08-04, 11:55 PM
at least it's not loss

Peelee
2019-08-05, 12:08 AM
Depends on what metals were in the rock. It could be irony ore it could be aluminumy. Maybe mithrily.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-08-05, 12:46 AM
Depends on what metals were in the rock. It could be irony ore it could be aluminumy. Maybe mithrily.

You don't know, it could even be Magnesiumy or Manganesey.

CriticalFailure
2019-08-05, 12:51 AM
It's probably just silicay.

Ruck
2019-08-05, 12:53 AM
I think only if it rains through the hole in the ceiling and it's also his wedding day

Peelee
2019-08-05, 01:03 AM
I think only if it rains through the hole in the ceiling

I believe you mean RAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEEYAAAAAIIIINNNNNNN. I was all set to make the wedding day joke, too.

D.One
2019-08-05, 08:20 AM
I think only if it rains through the hole in the ceiling and it's also his wedding day

And then Elan enters the chamber with an umbrela and starts using bardic song... (because sillyness has no limits)

NerdyKris
2019-08-05, 10:56 AM
I think that's more serendipity. Irony is the use of a word or phrase to mean something other than it's intended meaning. From Merriam Webster:

Definition of irony
1a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c : an ironic expression or utterance
2a(1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result
(2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity
b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play
— called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

3 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning
— called also Socratic irony

Although the second definition does seem like it could fit.

D.One
2019-08-05, 11:35 AM
I think that's more serendipity. Irony is the use of a word or phrase to mean something other than it's intended meaning. From Merriam Webster:

Although the second definition does seem like it could fit.

There's a more encompassing meaning involving "universal sarcasm" and iron... :smalltongue:

Vinyadan
2019-08-05, 11:43 AM
The table was also made of wood, which is used to make paper, so rock beat paper if you torture the metaphor enough.

:durkon: Treevenge.

D.One
2019-08-05, 11:52 AM

That rock wasn't really a rock. It cut the table (paper), so it's a scissor. :smallwink:

denthor
2019-08-05, 11:54 AM

Does that mean the table was undead and smarter the the Belkster? Does V owe the table an apology?

Comic 286

D.One
2019-08-05, 12:08 PM
Does that mean the table was undead and smarter the the Belkster? Does V owe the table an apology?

Comic 286

It's a table (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0285.html), and it's in the world (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html), so yes.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-05, 12:40 PM
:durkon: Treevenge. That made me grin. :smallsmile:

Snails
2019-08-05, 02:59 PM

Dark. These silvaciders already eat popcorn and imbibe ale while gathered around the hacked up corpse.

D.One
2019-08-05, 03:26 PM
Dark. These silvaciders already eat popcorn and imbibe ale while gathered around the hacked up corpse.

Wow. Think about that. The dwarves consider the trees enemies and make food from seeds (basically the babies of their enemies). Dark, very dark.

Snails
2019-08-05, 04:46 PM
You know how to gravely insult a dwarf?

Compliment their family tree.

hroşila
2019-08-05, 05:40 PM
at least it's not loss
Everything can be loss if you try hard enough. And that's good.

rbetieh
2019-08-05, 07:26 PM
You know how to gravely insult a dwarf?

Compliment their family tree.

I am groot! I really laughed at this, and hate myself and this so much for laughing at it that only a groot could accurately describe my feelings. Please no more jokes, I'll just end up laughing at them :-p

Gift Jeraff
2019-08-05, 08:01 PM
I'd say it's more vindication that the living Gontor's worship wasn't misplaced, since rocks ended up saving the entire world.

Rollin
2019-08-05, 09:21 PM
I'd say it's more vindication that the living Gontor's worship wasn't misplaced, since rocks ended up saving the entire world.
I'm sure his trapped soul is taking it that way, too.

Rocks Fall, Everyone Lives! (New motto for the Creed of the Stone, once Gontor's resurrected)

hroşila
2019-08-05, 09:35 PM
I dunno, it almost looked like the rock was just a dumb inert thing that Durkon and/or Thor used for their purposes, but they still had to do all the work.

Rollin
2019-08-05, 11:10 PM
I dunno, it almost looked like the rock was just a dumb inert thing that Durkon and/or Thor used for their purposes, but they still had to do all the work.
Come to think of it, maybe that's what Gontor sees in this. If we get him back, will we see him convert to the Church of Thor?

ijuinkun
2019-08-06, 03:33 AM
Wow. Think about that. The dwarves consider the trees enemies and make food from seeds (basically the babies of their enemies). Dark, very dark.

Five thousand baby plants were boiled alive to make your bowl of rice!

Wizard_Lizard
2019-08-06, 04:24 AM
The vampire that was a member of a religious order that worships rocks got beaten by a stone.:smallbiggrin:

he got beaten by a ROCK though, not iron....

D.One
2019-08-06, 09:41 AM
he got beaten by a ROCK though, not iron....

[Gontor to Gontor*, inside his mind]: "We will rock you!"

Squire Doodad
2019-08-06, 08:01 PM
[Gontor to Gontor*, inside his mind]: "We will rock you!"

"You know, I'd say that the Creed of Stone had its prayers fulfilled but for some reason I feel obligated to chalk that one up to a coincidence."

Particle_Man
2019-08-07, 01:28 PM
Does Gontor have any friends, family or funds left to pay for resurrection if/when Gontor* is destroyed? The Creed of Stone itself has been eliminated unless someone resurrects at least one of them.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 02:41 PM
The Creed of Stone itself has been eliminated unless someone resurrects at least one of them. The Creed of Stone are the Younglings of the OoTS, Book VI.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-07, 03:41 PM
The Creed hasn't been eliminated. Just those who pulled event duty for the Godsmoot.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-07, 03:45 PM
The Creed hasn't been eliminated. Just those who pulled event duty for the Godsmoot.

Meanwhile, back in Tinkertown, the remaining 5 clerics of the Cree of Stone have a war council...

Gift Jeraff
2019-08-08, 12:27 PM
The Creed of the Stone could be a large, worldwide church for all we know. One benefit of worshiping the Inner Planes in the OOTSiverse is that it is easier to convert people from all 3 continents.

Vinyadan
2019-08-08, 12:45 PM
Meanwhile, back in Tinkertown, the remaining 5 clerics of the Cree of Stone have a war council...

Stone for the Stone Stone! Stones for the Stone Stone!

Aetius
2019-08-08, 03:58 PM
Why doesn't it stay up on top? It's a ceiling! That's it's whole purpose. If it falls down, it's not even really a ceiling! It's just a...a floor!

Things not beeing the way they're supposed to ruins everything.
Foiled by elements of the architecture - again!

Squire Doodad
2019-08-08, 03:59 PM
Why doesn't it stay up on top? It's a ceiling! That's it's whole purpose. If it falls down, it's not even really a ceiling! It's just a...a floor!

Of course, things not being the way they are supposed to be tends to create ruins.

denthor
2019-08-08, 04:21 PM

Of course, things not being the way they are supposed to be tends to create ruins.

That joke deserves no attention. Still here I am wincing and typing

Squire Doodad
2019-08-08, 05:04 PM
That joke deserves no attention. Still here I am wincing and typing

I picked "Lame comedy" for a weapon focus :smallbiggrin:

Aetius
2019-08-08, 10:50 PM
I picked "Lame comedy" for a weapon focus :smallbiggrin:

Well done.
Please confirm your crit.