PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Warmage (about advance learning)

Dragoon
2007-10-11, 01:11 AM
I'm running a warmage for the first time and was wondering ideas for spells to have my character learn at the 3rd and 6th level. (I have a feeling the campaign won't get to 11th). My character is the only caster, with a archery focused and a two-weapon focus rangers.

Thanks.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-10-11, 01:18 AM
Use the Eclectic Learning variant in the PHB II to pick up Message at 3rd and Alter Self or Glitterdust or Mirror Image at 6th.

If you can't use that variant, take Guiding Light (SpC) at 3rd and Veil of Shadow (same) at 6th.

The reasoning is to give you some utility and defense among your blasting.

Anxe
2007-10-11, 09:40 AM
I always take Tenser's Floating Disk and Daylight. There just isn't that much to choose from.

Person_Man
2007-10-11, 09:57 AM
If you're the sole caster in the group, being a warmage is strategically a very bad idea. You're essentially just a magical archer, and not even a hugely effective one.

Are you wedded to being a warmage, or are you willing to accept other arcane builds that are better at blasting that also have more versatility?

If you do stay a warmage, I suggest Moonbow from the Spell Compendium. It's a 5th level Evocation Spell that creates 3 balls of electrical energy, which can each target a different enemy (or the same enemy), and each deals 1d6 damage per 2 caster levels.

Morty
2007-10-11, 10:01 AM
If you do stay a warmage, I suggest Moonbow from the Spell Compendium. It's a 5th level Evocation Spell that creates 3 balls of electrical energy, which can each target a different enemy (or the same enemy), and each deals 1d6 damage per 2 caster levels.

If I were to play a Warmage, I'd try to convince my DM to let me use some damaging evocation or conjuration spells from Spell Compendium without using Advanced Learning. "May tip the balance", that's rich.
As to OP question, I'd say Invisibility or Mirror Image from 2nd level and some utility spell from 1st level.

Dizlag
2007-10-11, 12:24 PM
I took Ray of Flame from the Spell Compendium at 3rd level. It's yet another ray attack and does some nice damage, plus it ignites the target. w00t!

Guiding Light from the Spell Compendium is a good one. It grants a +2 on all ranged attacks made against the creature you cast it on at long range for over a minute. And they don't even get a saving throw ... you're archer buddy will appreciate it. =)

My wife is playing a warmage in a campaign I'm running and she took persistent blade from Spell Compendium. It's a force dagger that attacks from a distance, like the cleric's spiritual hammer, and provides flanking. Nice for the rogue in their group.

At 6th level, chain missile is the kewls. It's magic missile, but then hits secondary targets. Also, a Spell Compendium spell. Hailstones is kewl from the SC, ranged touch attack doing 5d6 damage per stone and you get them every 5 levels. No save and it's chilly. =)

That's what I've got so far.

Good luck!

Dizlag

Dragoon
2007-10-11, 03:18 PM
Are you wedded to being a warmage, or are you willing to accept other arcane builds that are better at blasting that also have more versatility?

Yes, unless the build can handle having warmage 2/other classes 18. Though I am curious about the better blaster build, could you extrapolate?

I'm liking the Guiding Light Spell and Veiling Shadow. The Guiding Light spell should help since the odds of the group working with other archers are pretty high. (since we're staying in a fort that focuses on archery training).

And since the DM or I don't have access to the phb-II, I can't take the Eclectic Learning variant.

Thanks for the help.

Dragoon
2007-10-11, 03:25 PM

Yes, unless the build can handle having warmage 2/other classes 18. Though I am curious about the better blaster build, could you extrapolate?

I'm liking the Guiding Light Spell and Veiling Shadow. The Guiding Light spell should help since the odds of the group working with other archers are pretty high. (since we're staying in a fort that focuses on archery training).

And since the DM or I don't have access to the phb-II, I can't take the Eclectic Learning variant.

Thanks for the help.

Kaelik
2007-10-11, 04:37 PM
Well you could get in one level later then usual and use a Ultimate Magus build.

IE Warmage 2/Wizard 3or5 whatever the requirements are/Ultimate Magus 10.

deadseashoals
2007-10-11, 05:03 PM
Take Leomund's tiny hut at 6th level. It's a great spell for and against archers, kind of like an amped up version of obscuring mist (you can see out of it, but others can't see into it).

Toliudar
2007-10-11, 05:18 PM
As the sole caster, you're going to need some non-cannon goodness wherever you can. I'd recommend Tenser's Floating Disk as a reasonable utility spell (I'm guessing that, with two rangers and a Warmage, there are no high-strength characters in your group, and sometimes a little extra towing capacity is invaluable), and Leomund's hut just saved the life of the warmage in my PNP group - he got separated from the group, and the hut saved him from environmental damage while they searched for him.

If you're going to be the sole caster, you might also look at the Arcane Disciple Feat. It's okay for wizards and sorcerers, but since Warmages get unlimited access to all the spells they can cast, it's GREAT for them. Earth, Luck, Protection, Travel and Healing domains will all give utility spells that could be of tremendous use to you.

Dragoon
2007-10-12, 02:04 AM
As the sole caster, you're going to need some non-cannon goodness wherever you can. I'd recommend Tenser's Floating Disk as a reasonable utility spell (I'm guessing that, with two rangers and a Warmage, there are no high-strength characters in your group, and sometimes a little extra towing capacity is invaluable), and Leomund's hut just saved the life of the warmage in my PNP group - he got separated from the group, and the hut saved him from environmental damage while they searched for him.
Humorously, the two-weapon ranger has 20 strength (Wild-Elf roll 18). Though I can see the advantage of the Floating Disc, especially since the other two rarely pick up objects to sell. (And I'm not in the mood to risk encumbrance, yet, need money for bag of holding or Heward's Handysack)

If you're going to be the sole caster, you might also look at the Arcane Disciple Feat. It's okay for wizards and sorcerers, but since Warmages get unlimited access to all the spells they can cast, it's GREAT for them. Earth, Luck, Protection, Travel and Healing domains will all give utility spells that could be of tremendous use to you.

I don't know what book Arcane Disciple Feat in, but it sounds like it gives the spellcaster access to domain spells.

Person_Man
2007-10-12, 08:22 PM

Literally any full caster can be made a better blaster then the warmage. The reason is simple. Tons of damage is easy to get via the right feats and PrC. But buff spells (Fly, Stoneskin, Greater Invisibility, etc.) are just too hard to obtain as a warmage, thanks to their very limited spell list.

My favorite blaster caster is Wizard 5/Stormcaster 5/Incantatrix (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010803) 10

With the right feats, you deal massive damage and Stun anyone you damage.