PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying FR: Bane and Ilmater worshipper same party

bot
2019-08-05, 08:27 AM
Hey

I've previously made a post about a LN Crusader concept (roleplaying concept, not build) that I've now successfully played a couple sessions with. Thanks for all the help to those that assisted with feedback and suggestions.

Link to other post:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589435-Roleplaying-help-to-specific-character-concept

Now I have a new question that I'm looking to see if anyone could provide some pointers or ideas on.

In the party another member is a LG Ilmater monk, really into the helping the poor and on his way to vow of poverty the whole 9 yards. And on the other side we have me with a LN Crusader dedicated to the cause of Bane.

Nobody knows I'm a Bane worshiper, but won't be long I think because I've thus far only denied a couple guesses on my chosen deity and evaded any direct question.

The monk and I have had some cool exchanges resembling sort of Jedi/Sith opposition, since he is a thoughtful, concentrating and fights with a clear focus - and on the other side, I've made a show out of demonstrating how my crusader powers are born from a place of hatred and aggression.

However we haven't had much chance to interact outside of combat yet, as he's been bit in the background to some heavy NPC focus for first 2 sessions. That will probably change next time and I'm unsure how to build a bridge to him as I'm seeing him almost as the opposite of my characters motivations - namely that the weak must be ruled by a strong fist because of the inherent weakness of most humans that don't have the necessary ambition and drive to become something extraordinary.

It's crucial that I try and play the character in a way that will still make the party stick together and not break apart. The other players are a Beguilder (CG I think) and a Bard joining for first time next time (TN or NG I would guess)

Any ideas or observations are appreciated. I'm not looking for the perfect solution to everything, but just other peoples thoughts and feedback that I can try and spin in my mind a bit.

Thanks!

Psyren
2019-08-05, 09:27 AM
I would start with Red Fel's guide to playing Lawful Evil characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil) in a smart way. Yes, I know you're Lawful Neutral, but as a Banite who is explicitly going for a Sith-like angle, there is likely some useful info there.

For Bane specifically, note that he takes a very long view - he'll rule the world eventually, but he's in no hurry. He'd be totally fine with his followers dealing with a competitor, even working with do-gooders to do so. I'm assuming your campaign's Big Bad does not serve Bane?

Efrate
2019-08-05, 11:03 AM
I would think more on the cg than the lg. That is likely to cause more friction. There is no reason you cannot adventure with a follower of illmater. In your monk's case you both believe in Law, his viewpoint is likely in systematic altruistic actions to protect the weak, yours is weak need a strong hand to guide them since they cannot do it themselves. You could lean into that for common ground.

You could also throw in the little gem of his god would want him to suffer your presence as a test to his ideals over yours which is very Bane like thing to say, but might cause intraparty conflicts.

Red Fel
2019-08-05, 12:39 PM
Hello, I'm here now!

Honestly, I get so few summons nowadays, I have to summon myself to the Prime Material just because something interests me. Which is frankly rude, and you'd think mortals would be more interested in what I have to say. But whatever, here we go.

I would start with Red Fel's guide to playing Lawful Evil characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448542-Compliance-Will-Be-Rewarded-A-Guide-to-Lawful-Evil) in a smart way. Yes, I know you're Lawful Neutral, but as a Banite who is explicitly going for a Sith-like angle, there is likely some useful info there.

For Bane specifically, note that he takes a very long view - he'll rule the world eventually, but he's in no hurry. He'd be totally fine with his followers dealing with a competitor, even working with do-gooders to do so. I'm assuming your campaign's Big Bad does not serve Bane?

Seconding this, and not just because it references my work (which is most excellent). The fact is, neither of you is a Paladin, so there's no mechanical restriction, and neither of you is a Cleric, which means you don't need to fear offending your patron. So everything else is fluff and RP.

And that's good news! You can have a "vitriolic best buds" angle, where you consider each other friends but never stop sniping, or a "fire-forged friends" angle, where you disagree on a lot of points but have grown to trust one another through your adventures. Or any other dynamic you like. Although Ilmater is opposed to Bane, Bane is more worried about certain other members of the Triad. Moreover, a follower of Ilmater is not obligated to see a follower of Bane as a blight to be destroyed, by default; rather, you can tap into that "compassion" thing Ilmater promotes. Let him see your PC as an ongoing redemption project (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html).

Point is, characters of opposing alignments can work together just fine, assuming the players don't get dumb about it. Don't be an outright and total puppy-kicking monster at all times - you're LN, not LE, after all - and you'll be fine on your end.

I would think more on the cg than the lg. That is likely to cause more friction. There is no reason you cannot adventure with a follower of illmater. In your monk's case you both believe in Law, his viewpoint is likely in systematic altruistic actions to protect the weak, yours is weak need a strong hand to guide them since they cannot do it themselves. You could lean into that for common ground.

You could also throw in the little gem of his god would want him to suffer your presence as a test to his ideals over yours which is very Bane like thing to say, but might cause intraparty conflicts.

This again. Specifically, the Law thing. Look at me and LoyalPaladin - I'm LE, he's misguided LG, but we agree on some major points - need for structure and order in society, the importance of being honorable and keeping one's word, a general if unvoiced dislike for Bards, and the fact that CE is just the worst, you guys, just the worst.

You both have that in common. As LN, you stand for order and discipline. As LG, so does he, albeit with a disappointing merciful bent. Build on the common ground.

And if that fails, kill him. He's a Monk. It's not even a challenge.

bot
2019-08-06, 03:58 PM
@Red Fel lol, thanks for your visit to my thread.

Yea, that LE thread gave some good perspectives. I've also topped it off with some youtube vids of LN for little added generic perspective.

I should have read the replies here this prior to our session, because the monk and I ended up bit head to head on him thinking I wasn't lawful enough (because I was threatening a suspect a bit aggressively though without any force). But nothing is in the corner yet, so I can still play to that as middle ground - perhaps be entry to him adopting the idea of me being a redeemable subject once he figures out my allegiance to Bane.

I will absolutely try and aim towards the "vitriolic best buds" relation suggested. That would be a good setup if I can get into a understanding with him in that. And I'll couple it up with easing up on talking about the weak as poorly as I have, and more in a way that the monk and I can see eye to eye on that we're just doing what we think is best and it doesn't need to be counter to each other.

Cool thanks for the suggestions, it'll give something extra to put into play next time : )