PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Web Spell

Menson
2019-08-05, 01:38 PM
It seems odd that this question hasn't been asked before, but I couldn't find a straight answer anywhere.

Does the Restrained condition apply to a creature in a Web spell before they attempt to save at the start of their turn?

Rules as Written, they are only restrained if they fail the Dex save at the start of their next turn. My fighter friend gets advantage on attack roles only if they're restrained. If it were me, I could delay my turn indefinitely, allowing no one to have advantage to hit me, and taking any attacks of opportunity without disadvantage. I could even move out of the Web with a readied dash action on someone else's turn! It makes no sense...

nickl_2000
2019-08-05, 01:41 PM
I don't believe you can delay your turn in 5e like you could in old additions. Also, you only get one reaction per turn and you need to have another turn to get a new one once it has been used.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-05, 01:45 PM
Interesting. I think by RAW, they are not restrained until they start their turn. But I don't think there is an official way to delay your turn. You can use your action to ready an action for later but you would still start your turn before readying an action.

I run this differently than RAW though and I think it works better. When the spell is cast, everyone in the spell's area makes a save or they are restrained. Then on their turn they can make a check to free themselves. It's not RAW but I think it works smoother for my players. Then the timing works the same as spells like Hold Person so it's easier to remember.

Edit: Now that I look into it, I think I'm going to change and start running it the way it's supposed to.

Corran
2019-08-05, 02:04 PM
Does the Restrained condition apply to a creature in a Web spell before they attempt to save at the start of their turn?

No. You become restrained the moment you fail your save, and not before.

Menson
2019-08-05, 02:53 PM
Okay, but does it seem odd to anyone else? I don't get the RAI here. With Grease, it appears, stuff falls. But with Web... we all just stand around until the Web is weaved and we're stuck...

Segev
2019-08-05, 03:06 PM
Okay, but does it seem odd to anyone else? I don't get the RAI here. With Grease, it appears, stuff falls. But with Web... we all just stand around until the Web is weaved and we're stuck...

My best guess is that the web appears ARROUND them, and only when they start trying to move (i.e. on their turn) do they have to save to avoid being caught by its strands.

Dalebert
2019-08-05, 07:55 PM
You definitely can't delay your turn. It uses your action on your turn to ready an action and it uses your reaction when the trigger sets it off.

firelistener
2019-08-05, 10:44 PM
You definitely can't delay your turn. It uses your action on your turn to ready an action and it uses your reaction when the trigger sets it off.

This is correct. 5e purposefully doesn't allow for delaying turns because it results in questions like the one posed by OP.

stoutstien
2019-08-06, 08:53 AM
Web + glamour bards ablity to allow free movement as a reaction for party is a fun combo.

Menson
2019-08-06, 11:23 AM
Apparently, I am locked in a 3.5 paradigm.