PDA

View Full Version : Psywarrior prestige into pyrokinetist feat help

Shanksifer
2019-08-05, 02:26 PM
So I'm starting a campaign at level 5 and am an elan psychic warrior my stats are strength 18 dexterity 10 constitution 13 intelligence 10 wisdom 16 and charisma 14
The feats I'm thinking of using are enhanced elan resistance psionic meditation psionic weapon narrow mind and I get one more for this level and cant decide what to take I'm most likely going to prestige next level and the feats I'm thinking of getting later are power attack cleave deep impact greater psionic weapon fiery spell searing spell blistering spell smiting spell and less likely feats to get being psionic endowment and greater psionic endowment ant at level 21 epic psionic focus I'm also using a deep crystal great sword as my weapon any suggestions would be appreciated and sorry if my post is confusing it's my first one thanks

ExLibrisMortis
2019-08-05, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the forums! You should add some periods and line breaks to that post :smalltongue:.

For a psychic warrior using a greatsword, Pyrokineticist does nothing. Straight psywar is probably better, as is psywar/slayer or even psywar/war mind. I would start with a loadout of Power Attack, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Weapon, and Deep Impact. Pick hustle as a power known, and psionic lion's charge as well. That allows you to make some decently high-powered charge attacks that target touch AC.

From there, either dip spirit lion totem barbarian (moving you in the direction of a Shock Trooper build), or some Tome of Battle (Diamond Mind has the lovely Nightmare Blade line of maneuvers), depending on whether you prefer straight charging or something alternative.

Shanksifer
2019-08-05, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much. And definitely will from now on.I get that pyrokinetist isnt great but kinda wanted a psywarrior that focuses mainly on fire added to his weapon so was thinking of something along those lines. Thanks for the help

Particle_Man
2019-08-05, 03:11 PM
Well (favoured class penalty for elan aside) there is swordsage, a base class from tome of battle. They have access to desert wind maneuvers that add fire damage to your attacks, give your weapon reach (but turn all damage into fire damage), let you fly as you charge (doing more fire damage), give you a fire elemental flank buddy (does not do anything else), etc. Benefits from high wis as psychic warrior does.

Now fair warning, fire resistance/immunity is fairly common among monsters, but swordsage has a stance that can give you that too.

Maybe you could ask the dm to refluff the prestige class jade Phoenix mage into jade Phoenix psychic warrior too.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-08-05, 03:14 PM
You might want to look at the swordsage (Tome of Battle), specifically the Desert Wind maneuvers. That'll get you more fire and more power than Pyrokineticist can give you. Another good option would be Jade Phoenix Mage, which is a gish PrC (warrior mage). By default, it's only for arcane casters, but it's easy to convert to psionics, so ask your DM. A psywar 4/swordsage 2/JPM 10 would be a very good fire-themed psychic warrior.

Edit: Swordsage'd.

Shanksifer
2019-08-05, 03:45 PM
That sounds really cool thanks for the info I'll have to look it up and see if my Dm will allow it .

Shanksifer
2019-08-05, 04:06 PM
So talked to the dm he said only players handbooks one and two,expanded psionics handbook, sword and fist, and libris Mortis are the books I can use

jdizzlean
2019-08-05, 08:42 PM
pyro can be fun for sure, but it doesn't give you any pp or powers known, so going psy war into it stops that progression cold. if you're comfortable only having a few lower level powers and can make it work, go for it. otherwise all you need is a pp reserve to qualify, which you can do w/ a race or something like hidden talent at 1st lvl.

that said, if you are going to go psy war into pyro, take under account that you should talk to your dm first to see if cleave/great cleave can be used w/ your fire whip or not. if not, then those become useless feats for you, unless you plan on not using fire whip at all.

Particle_Man
2019-08-05, 09:44 PM
As an aside, if your DM permits you could start the game at level five with a +1 flaming weapon.

Alternatively, if you are patient psychic warriors can learn the weapon of energy power at class level 10.

One Step Two
2019-08-05, 10:01 PM
Because you mentioned Sword and Fist, I would be remiss if I did not point out the Lasher Prestige class. This class is not the most game breaking, but if you want your flame lash ability to really shine, this is the place to do it! I recommend Psywar 5/Pyrokinetist 4/Lasher 10. The Lasher gives some Sneak attack dice, bonus damage and attacks, makes your use of Whips in combat more versatile, as well as some fun stunts such as grabbing unattended objects, and using it to sing like Indiana Jones! Some of this is dependent on your DM okay-ing Flame Lash to qualify for the Lasher I will admit, as it does specify whips, or whip-daggers are required proficiency.

If you can talk your way into Gauntlets of Energy Transformation from the Magic Item compendium to help overcome Energy resistance to fire, you'll be good to go!