PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Designing a "Huntress of Artemis" type character (Ranger/Cleric?)

Laevatein
2019-08-05, 04:37 PM
Wanting to make a "Huntress of Artemis" type character, archer with some divine powers, dedicated to hunting monsters for her deity. What would be the best way to go about it? The character will be starting at level 1, so I'd prefer to avoid builds that take a lot of levels to "come online".

Fryy
2019-08-05, 06:33 PM
How about Ranger/Druid instead of Cleric? Druid seems more apropos for Artemis. You could pick the Acolyte background if Druid is not priestly enough.

You could go 3 levels of Gloom Stalker (or 5 levels for extra attack) and then Druid. Thematically, it is online from level 1 as a bow-wielding acolyte ranger.

Seclora
2019-08-05, 07:02 PM
Okay, So I'm thinking you want to go to at least 8 in Ranger for land stride, go Monster Slayer out of XGtE and focus on Dex and Archery, Go Half-(wood)Elf for Elven Accuracy and take Sharpshooter. I'm pretty torn between Nature and War for Cleric Domain. War gets you the always hit and more shots once Slayer's Prey and Hunter's mark are both up. Nature gets you flexible extra damage and Charm Animals. Both give you Heavy Armor Proficiency you should ignore, Dex and Wisdom are your top stats and you are all about moving freely and shooting things.

If you don't want Armor and Magic doesn't matter to you, Monster Slayer/Kensei would get you the best Archery and AC without equipment.

Regardless, take Ranger to at least 5 before you multiclass, those low levels are its best levels anyways, and you want to get Extra Attack and Elven Accuracy before you worry about adding anything onto the damage.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-05, 08:20 PM
Okay, So I'm thinking you want to go to at least 8 in Ranger for land stride, go Monster Slayer out of XGtE and focus on Dex and Archery, Go Half-(wood)Elf for Elven Accuracy and take Sharpshooter. I'm pretty torn between Nature and War for Cleric Domain. War gets you the always hit and more shots once Slayer's Prey and Hunter's mark are both up. Nature gets you flexible extra damage and Charm Animals. Both give you Heavy Armor Proficiency you should ignore, Dex and Wisdom are your top stats and you are all about moving freely and shooting things.

If you don't want Armor and Magic doesn't matter to you, Monster Slayer/Kensei would get you the best Archery and AC without equipment.

Regardless, take Ranger to at least 5 before you multiclass, those low levels are its best levels anyways, and you want to get Extra Attack and Elven Accuracy before you worry about adding anything onto the damage.

I like this breakdown. I'd probably go Ranger 5 then Cleric 15 but 8/12 is fine too. Horizon Walker might be fun, too, for the otherworldly feel. Misty Step and maybe later Etherealness would be great, but Monster Slayer's Hunter's Sense is better than Horizon Walker's Detect Portal. Just another idea. Not a criticism. Mechanically, I like War Cleric more than Nature with an archer.

Seclora
2019-08-05, 09:04 PM
I like this breakdown. I'd probably go Ranger 5 then Cleric 15 but 8/12 is fine too. Horizon Walker might be fun, too, for the otherworldly feel. Misty Step and maybe later Etherealness would be great, but Monster Slayer's Hunter's Sense is better than Horizon Walker's Detect Portal. Just another idea. Not a criticism. Mechanically, I like War Cleric more than Nature with an archer.

See, and my thought was that Land stride lent itself to an wide ranging, experienced huntress unimpeded by nature. It also increases the overall number of ASIs, which felt important given that a peerless archer would want both of those feats.

I'm not a big fan of Horizon Walker for divine servants. Feels more Arcane and Fey to me, and even if she is an outdoors and moonlight deity; Artemis isn't quite Fey.

I'm inclined to agree with War Cleric over Nature, both for Artemis herself and for Hunters in general. War God's Blessing is a more thematically appropriate, and their bonus damage being weapon type feels right for someone who is more skill based than gifted for destruction. Although, coupled with the Monster Slayer knowledge of her targets, being able to add your choice of damage type could be pretty handy sometimes.