PDA

View Full Version : Firbolg Disguise Self

Rakoa
2019-08-05, 06:49 PM
Firbolg can disguise themselves once per short rest as per the Disguise Self spell. The difference is that they can appear up to 3 feet shorter rather than just 1, allowing them to easily blend in as most of the medium sized races. The thing is, the Disguise Self spell lasts for only an hour, making it rather useless for blending in for any significant amount of time.

But wait, what is a short rest? A short rest is an hour during which you do nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking speaking, reading lightly, and so forth.

Would a Firbolg be able to keep up their disguise all day, then, by only engaging in light activities around town (meeting with people, dining, strolling through the city park, having a nice cup of rum, etc) and then ending the day by dropping their disguise in the comfort of their own private inn room for a good night's sleep?

I'm fairly certain this is RAI, given that the book talks about how they can blend into other societies, but is it RAW?

BarneyBent
2019-08-05, 07:27 PM
Presumably, the Firbolg would have to do some work at some point. Earning a living is difficult (mentally or physically or both) and would surely interrupt a short rest.

However, if they spent a leisurely weekend just doing those activities then sure. I imagine it would be risky though - the more time you spend out and about, the higher the chance someone will notice your image doesn’t quite match your size, and they’ll roll a high enough investigation to see through the illusion.

I think more realistically, Firbolgs can blend into society by being quite private, and not entirely maintaining the secret - rather, putting on the disguise to avoid stares and such from strangers, but not bothering amongst those in the town they know and trust. In other words, more a convenience thing that a true false identity.

So in short, RAW a short rest doesn’t preclude you essentially short-resting all day, but the Firbolg will struggle to do anything to make a living and Disguise Self isn’t a failsafe anyway, so realistically they probably don’t maintain Disguise Self constantly anyway.