PDA

View Full Version : Order Domain Cleric - When to dip Warlock?

Remover of Obst
2019-08-05, 08:30 PM
Anyone tried an Order Cleric with a warlock dip?

I thought it would be nice to pick up two more spell slots per short rest to use for Voice of Authority.

Voice of Authority
Starting at 1st level, you can invoke the power of law to drive an ally to attack. If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, that ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see.

Rough character sketch is Aasimar Protector (8/14/12/8/16/16) Bounty Hunter team leader. Shield and armor, but avoiding using physical weapons. Considering dip to 3rd level for Pact of Chains fun. May emphasize face skills and go up to 20 CHA first and throw out Eldritch Blasts with Bless/Healing Word to help trigger Voice of Authority. Seems like there are enough spells that buff or dispel debuffs that would not need a high WIS to work.

So,
1. How useful have you found Voice of Authority/Order Clerics to be?

2. Should I wait until after level 5 (3rd level cleric spells) to dip Warlock? Or is Devil Sight/Agonizing Blast and more spells not worth it?

3. How far to dip Warlock?

stoutstien
2019-08-05, 08:58 PM
Never thought of dipping warlock for order domain but the cleric itself is very powerful if you have any party member with big single attacks (barbarian and rogues are my favorites)

My order domain/ glamor bard has been a blast so far so I could see how in a party that wants frequent SR the warlock dip would go a long way.

Vogie
2019-08-06, 01:07 PM
Rough character sketch is Aasimar Protector (8/14/12/8/16/16) Bounty Hunter team leader. Shield and armor, but avoiding using physical weapons. Considering dip to 3rd level for Pact of Chains fun. May emphasize face skills and go up to 20 CHA first and throw out Eldritch Blasts with Bless/Healing Word to help trigger Voice of Authority. Seems like there are enough spells that buff or dispel debuffs that would not need a high WIS to work.

So,
1. How useful have you found Voice of Authority/Order Clerics to be?

2. Should I wait until after level 5 (3rd level cleric spells) to dip Warlock? Or is Devil Sight/Agonizing Blast and more spells not worth it?

3. How far to dip Warlock?

1) Order Clerics are fantastic team-enablers. They are as powerful as their parties are, so hopefully you have a good one. Rogues specifically scale well with reaction attacks.

2) Maybe? It depends on what you really want. If you want to get to cleric 6 quick so you can quicken your Heroism, Bless & Crown of Madness spells, sure. If you'd rather be blasting with advantage and using your short rest slots to toss out healing words, maybe you're looking at Cleric 2 / Warlock 3 / Cleric X.

3) As much as you want. You've said you want the Chainpact, AB, and the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo... and you get all that at 3 levels of warlock. Eldritch blast uses your total level not warlock level. If you want to grab a third invocation (LoL for slowing targets, the Tomb of Levistus panic button, VotCM for better familiar features, or Gift of the Everliving for maximized healing on yourself), you have to go up to 5.

You don't really need to take Charisma to 20, unless you really lean into the warlock.

Remover of Obst
2019-08-07, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I will see what the party make up is and see if they need a face or more control before picking WIS or CHA.

Taking Warlock to 5th level would let me pick up Counterspell and some other nice things. Very interesting. Leaves the healing quite a bit weaker, but a counterspell could be way better than a heal or dispel a turn later.

Vogie
2019-08-07, 10:53 PM
Taking Warlock to 5th level would let me pick up Counterspell and some other nice things. Very interesting. Leaves the healing quite a bit weaker, but a counterspell could be way better than a heal or dispel a turn later.

While true, maybe you choose Celestial Patron to give you the ability to heal without spending slots. It's a nonbo with Voice of Authority, sure, but allows you to spread the heals around when not using your bonus action for anything else.