PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Help?

Estralita
2019-08-05, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right way to ask, but here goes...

After a year long hiatus, I'm starting to get back into 5e, but I'm a bit stuck on my new character. The game starts at level 6, and is a low magic item campaign with point buy. My initial concept is to go Hexblade, which I've never really done before, but with all the new different options available, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. We aren't supposed to go super optimized, but I don't want to be a pushover. Is this achievable, or should I stick to Eldritch Blast?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-05, 11:57 PM
What is achievable?

Hexblade are the best eldritch blasters and are ok with weapons.

What do you want to do?

Bannan_mantis
2019-08-06, 03:28 AM
Hexblade has a healthy mix of both martial and casting abilities so it depends on your playstyle but usually most hexblades I see have eldritch blast as a back up for long range situations and go in with melee.

Hexblade's melee damage is very good, it depends on what you want but my last hexblade used a greatweapon from pact of the blade which was improved by improved pact weapon and after casting hex dealt 3d6 + 4 damage per attack so honestly you're gunna be fine.

I'd just recommend casting hex as your main concentration buff as the damage it grants lasts a very long time (1 hour duration) and builds up quickly. I'd also recommend maybe going for a two handed weapon, to cast spells you can still use your pact of the blade weapon as a focus but you still need your free hand so you can simply hold your greatweapon with one hand while casting your spell and then when you want to attack simply pick the greatweapon up with two and start swinging it around.

Also idk if it's been changed but I'm pretty sure hexblade doesn't come with built in medium armour so I'd recommend getting that ASAP.

Edit: also for invocations most of them are up to you but the only one I'd highly recommend is thirsting blade since it's basically extra attack

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-06, 03:38 AM
Hexblade has a healthy mix of both martial and casting abilities so it depends on your playstyle but usually most hexblades I see have eldritch blast as a back up for long range situations and go in with melee.

Hexblade's melee damage is very good, it depends on what you want but my last hexblade used a greatweapon from pact of the blade which was improved by improved pact weapon and after casting hex dealt 3d6 + 4 damage per attack so honestly you're gunna be fine.

I'd just recommend casting hex as your main concentration buff as the damage it grants lasts a very long time (1 hour duration) and builds up quickly. I'd also recommend maybe going for a two handed weapon, to cast spells you can still use your pact of the blade weapon as a focus but you still need your free hand so you can simply hold your greatweapon with one hand while casting your spell and then when you want to attack simply pick the greatweapon up with two and start swinging it around.

Also idk if it's been changed but I'm pretty sure hexblade doesn't come with built in medium armour so I'd recommend getting that ASAP.

Edit: also for invocations most of them are up to you but the only one I'd highly recommend is thirsting blade since it's basically extra attack
1)
hex duration become much longer for a Warlock(always upcasting)

2)
There the option to take starting gold or sell the starting equipment and buy new before the game start(unless you are a prisoner that just loot some items or something similar).
In most game you will have the option to get the medium armor(not a very good one, probably 14+dex(2) with disadvantage on stealth)

Bannan_mantis
2019-08-06, 04:05 AM
1)
hex duration become much longer for a Warlock(always upcasting)

2)
There the option to take starting gold or sell the starting equipment and buy new before the game start(unless you are a prisoner that just loot some items or something similar).
In most game you will have the option to get the medium armor(not a very good one, probably 14+dex(2) with disadvantage on stealth)

1) yep very true

2) oh yeah I keep forgetting about that rule, thanks

Keravath
2019-08-06, 11:55 AM
Hexblade is a good multi-purpose class. They can wear medium armor and a shield for reasonable AC. They have eldritch blast for ranged damage and if you go with pact of the blade then they are reasonable in melee but you would likely need to take improved pact weapon and thirsting blade as invocations. If you are supposed to avoid optimization then maybe don't go the PAM+GWM route though that combination will out damage eldritch blast.

If you want to improve your survivability then you could be variant human and take resilient constitution at first level which will make it much easier to maintain your concentration on hex and improve your constitution saving throws. War caster would also be an option if you want to improve your concentration checks and cast spells while wearing a shield and carrying a one handed weapon.

Spiritchaser
2019-08-06, 02:20 PM
I’d say that whatever you do with a pure hexblade it won’t be “super optimized”

I’d say a hexblade 1 conquest pally would be optimized
I’d say a sorcadin would be optimized
I’d say a sorlock would be optimized.

Heck, most single classes wizard builds could be made optimized more than these (and there’s a particularly tough hobgoblin around that most definitely earns that designation)

Pure hexblade? It can be very good but I wouldn’t worry about over optimization.

I would worry about durability.

Running hex on a melee hexblade has its place, but it’s often invitation to get squished

There’s a hexblade at our table who has learned to run darkness or shadow of Moil.

In melee, GWM is crazy good, but even at range, the extra damage from nearly always hitting very nearly matches hex... and the survival benefits are considerable.

Xeko
2019-08-06, 08:22 PM
I am currently playing a Hexblade. My character is a level 8 Half-elf. 5 levels in Hexblade Pact of the Blade, 3 levels in Rogue Swashbuckler subclass for the CHA mod bonus to initiative, and expertise in persuasion and jeweler's kit (guild artisan background). I intend on taking one more level in rogue, for the ASI/feat, and then back to warlock for the rest of the character's life (the campaign we're in is supposed to go to level 15). My invokations are Thirsting Blade and Improved Pact Weapon (both of which are near musts for a hexblade), and the third one is Maddening Hex (though I also considered Agonizing Blast, and Mask of Many Faces). Stats are 8 STR/14 DEX/12 CON/12 INT/14 WIS/18 CHA, probably gonna bump to 20 CHA next level, unless a feat just jumps out at me. I also have the Elven Accuracy feat. Main equipment is pact weapon (which can take on any form, but usually short sword or rapier, for the sneak attack), shield, and half-plate mail. Spell choices are Eldritch Blast, Magic Stone, Prestidigitation, Shield, Hex, Hellish Rebuke, Invisibility, Counter Spell, and Blink.

Not saying that this is a good build, in any way. But, when you say of not-entirely-optimized Hexblade build, this is what I think of. Had I wanted optimization, I probably would have dipped Paladin or something instead of Rogue. But, the Swashbuckler's hit and run tactics does fit really well with the Hexblade's melee/casting hybrid style. If I was optimizing, I would also go with invocations that focused more on eldritch blast... because, as thematic as the Hexblade is, the sad truth is that ANY warlock that isn't going all in on EB is suboptimal...