PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for PrCs

Thurbane
2019-08-06, 02:27 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking for some PrCs that meet the following specs: must be full BAB; and must have their own casting progression or grant a lot of SLAs.

Looking to get some magical ability on a full BAB chassis without Duskblade or Hexblade. Not particularly interested in Ranger of Paladin variants, either.

Full BAB is a must for my purposes, and without having to rely on persisted Divine Might or similar shenanigans.

Also, looking for spells or SLAs specifically - not maneuvers, Supernatural or psionic abilities etc.

No specific build in mind, just wondering what's out there.

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2019-08-06, 02:38 AM
Here are all prestige classes that have full BAB and their own casting progression. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1geywITbI4M-Up08SGD-rUHlnobR66aIgKqu7mILkmhU/edit#gid=1339089860&fvid=1273573370

Asmotherion
2019-08-06, 05:24 AM
Abjurant Champion seems to fit your criteria. You however need to have at least 1 level in an Arcane casting class to fully profit from it.

Thurbane
2019-08-06, 05:29 AM
Abjurant Champion seems to fit your criteria. You however need to have at least 1 level in an Arcane casting class to fully profit from it.

I possibly was a bit ambiguous in the OP: I'm looking for classes with their own casting, rather than progressing existing casting.

MisterKaws
2019-08-06, 06:42 AM
The strongest among the standalone full-BAB casters (Psi-Hunter, Flame Steward, Disciple of Thrym, Runescarred Berserker and War Mind) get only up to level 5 in it. I think you'll do better getting a standalone class with low BAB and 9th-level spells and then immediately switching to a full BAB PrC to advance it. Those are: Apostle of Peace, Sublime Chord, Blighter, Divine Crusader, Ur-Priest, Beholder Mage and Maho-Tsukai.

liquidformat
2019-08-06, 09:48 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf, Justice of Weald and Woe, Incarnum Blade (is an interesting one), Divine Crusader, Consecrated Harrier, Holy Liberator...

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-06, 11:02 AM
Champion of Gwynharwyf, Justice of Weald and Woe, Incarnum Blade (is an interesting one), Divine Crusader, Consecrated Harrier, Holy Liberator...

Justice of Weald and Woe is medium-BAB
Divine Crusader is medium-BAB
Incarnum Blade has no spellcasting

liquidformat
2019-08-06, 11:10 AM
weird I thought both were full bab goes to show I should look at the books first... Incarnum Blade falls ish into the SLA category...

Recurver
2019-08-06, 11:17 AM
The strongest among the standalone full-BAB casters (Psi-Hunter, Flame Steward, Disciple of Thrym, Runescarred Berserker and War Mind) get only up to level 5 in it. I think you'll do better getting a standalone class with low BAB and 9th-level spells and then immediately switching to a full BAB PrC to advance it. Those are: Apostle of Peace, Sublime Chord, Blighter, Divine Crusader, Ur-Priest, Beholder Mage and Maho-Tsukai.

I second the "Runescarred Berserker" it has a strong list of spells for a full base attack chassis, one of those spells being an anti magic field. A raging Barbarian Uber Charger in an anti magic field ,when properly built, is a horrifying thing.

Biggus
2019-08-06, 01:37 PM
Champion of Gwynharwyf and Runescarred Berserker are the best I know of.

CoG gives you all the important features of Barbarian and Paladin in one class (Rage, Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Damage Reduction), 4th-level spells and the ability to cast while raging (which is unique as far as I know).

RB gives you Rage and Damage reduction plus 5th-level spells. They cost GP and XP like scrolls, but many of them are lower-level than normal, and there are several usually arcane-only ones you can cast as divine spells.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-06, 02:35 PM
CoG gives you all the important features of Barbarian and Paladin in one class (Rage, Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Damage Reduction), 4th-level spells and the ability to cast while raging (which is unique as far as I know).

Rage Mage not count?

The Viscount
2019-08-06, 02:57 PM
I'm a big fan of Disciple of Thrym. It's got some features to boos combat as well as one of the steepest spell discounts I've seen, casting summon giants as a 4th.

liquidformat
2019-08-06, 03:05 PM
Rage Mage not count?

Nah like Abjurant Champion it increases existing spellcasting rather than giving you its own...

Mato
2019-08-06, 03:36 PM
Rage Mage not count?Rage mages cannot cast spells from the conjuration, divination, illusion, or universal schools while raging. So maybe they count for like half a point?

Champions of Gwynharwyf are like a combination paladin / barbarian / divine caster with kind of a favored soul tilt. It's prepared casting, but you don't get domains & spontaneous cures and you get resistance to energy like a favored soul. It's a fairly good class and it's worth considering prestige ranger & paladin after advancing to expand the spell list out and fully replace the base class versions.

Thurbane
2019-08-06, 04:44 PM
Disciple of Thrym looks promising.

Since we've largely been discussing casting, are there any full BAB classes that get SLAs, in any kind of significant numbers?

Anthrowhale
2019-08-06, 07:08 PM

Since we've largely been discussing casting, are there any full BAB classes that get SLAs, in any kind of significant numbers?

Maybe War Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm)? There are various ways to use War Mind 5's sweeping strike to significant effect and you have a few psionic powers.

The Viscount
2019-08-06, 07:45 PM
Oh forgot to mention mortal hunter also gives casting, is full BA, and has some neat powers.

How many SLAs are we looking for? There's a decent number of classes like Disciple of Dispater (one of the few remaining ways to stack crit ranges) that give you a handful, but I'm thinking you want more than that?

Biggus
2019-08-06, 08:16 PM
Disciple of Dispater (one of the few remaining ways to stack crit ranges

There are others?

Mato
2019-08-06, 10:54 PM
There are others?Favored critical comes to my mind.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-07, 03:53 AM

Not a class with slas, but you could stick an undead into a full bab class, then spellstitch it.

The Viscount
2019-08-07, 12:13 PM
There are others?

The streetfighter ACF for Barbarian from the Cityscape web enhancement, and blood in the water stance, but that's about it that I know of.

ShurikVch
2019-08-07, 12:37 PM
Since we've largely been discussing casting, are there any full BAB classes that get SLAs, in any kind of significant numbers?Eagle Knight and Jaguar Knight - both are from Dragon #315, pg. 96-98

There are others?Well, Weapon Master (Sword and Fist) is still there...

Thurbane
2019-08-07, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the additional suggestions all.

There are others?

Mythic Exemplar (Sunyarta) - CC p.87. Limited times/day, though.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-08, 08:09 AM
Here's what I scrounged up. I started doing Honorable Mentions around about Races of Destiny, so I don't mention them for many of the books I already covered. I was actually surprised by how many there were (not that most of them are awesome or anything) but there were just more than I thought there would be.

From Book of Exalted Deeds:
Beloved of Valarian (Spell levels 1-4)
Champion of Gwynharwf (Spell levels 1-4)
Defender of Sealtiel (1. Shield of Faith/2. Magic Circle, Shield Other, 4. Blood of the Martyr, 6. Protective Aura, 8. Glory of the Martyr)
Vassal of Bahamut (Spell Levels 1-4)

From Complete Adventurer:
Animal Lord (1. Detect Animals, 3. Wild Aspect, 4. Speak with Animals, 5. Summon Animal, 7. Animal Growth, 8. Animal Telepethy)
Dungeon Delver (2. Reduce, 3. Augury, 6. Passwall, 8. Find the Path, 9. Phase Door)

From Complete Divine:
Consecrated Harrier (Spell Levels 1-4, 1. Detect Chaos, 3. Dispel Magic, 4. Crushing Despair, 6. False Vision)
Holy Liberator (Spell Levels 1-4, 1. Detect Evil, 4. Break Enchantment, 6. Celestial Companion)
Pious Templar (Spell Levels 1-4)

From Complete Psionic (these will psi-like abilities):
Illumine Soul (5 level PrC, 2. Positive Energy Ray/Death Ward, 5. Positive Energy Flare)

From Complete Warrior:
Hunter of the Dead (Spell Levels 1-4, 1. Detect Undead)
Knight of the Chalice (Spell Levels 1-4)
Stonelord (1. Earth's Blood, 2. Stone Powers: Earthgrip, Earth's Endurance, Earth's Strength, Gravity, Stoneskin, Summon Earth Elemental, 3. Stone Shape, 5. Meld into Stone, 7. Stone Tell, 9. Earthquake.

From the Dungeon Master's Guide:
Arcan Archer (2. Imbue Arrow, 4. Seeker Arrow, 6. Phase Arrow, 8. Hail of Arrows, 10. Arrow of Death)
Blackguard (Spell Levels 1-4, 1. Detect Good)

From Frostburn:
Disciple of Thrym (Spell Levels 1-4, 1. Detect Fire, 4. Frost Greataxe, 7. Dispel Fire, 8. Icy Greataxe)

From Expanded Psionics Handbook (clearly Powers rather than spells):
War Mind (Power Level 1-5 Progression)

From Book of Vile Darkness:
Disciple of Mammon (2. Cheat, 3. Steal, 5. Summon Osyluth, 9. Nondetection, 10. Summon Gelugon)
Disciple of Mephistopheles (4. Flare, 5. Summon Hamatula, 6. Hellfire, 7. Fire Shield, 8. Hellfire Storm)
Mortal Hunter (Spell Levels 1-4)

Honorable Mention (I think):
Shadow Sentinel (Races of Destiny pg 137) - Every class ability is a supernatural one, and it progresses with a shadow point system. Not spells or SLAs, so not really quite right, but still very loaded with non extrodinary abilities.
Shadowsmith (Tome of Magic pg 132) - Same as with Shadow Sentinel, Supernatural Ability heavy prestige class with it's own system progression.
Disciple of Dispater (Book of Vile Darkness pg 60) - Gets only a few SLAs across 10 levels: 3. Rusting Grasp, 5. Summon Erinyes, 7. Ironskin, 10. Iron Body. Also gets a fair number of Supernatural abilities.
Soul Eater (Book of Vile Darkness pg 66) - A new Supernatural Ability every level, like the shadowsmith/sentinel.
Thrall of Juiblex (Book of Vile Darkness pg 70) - only 3 SLAs across 10 levels (3. Summon Ooze, 5. Summon Demon, 7. Summon Pudding) but also Supernaturale abilities abound.

Thurbane
2019-08-08, 04:34 PM
Wow, thanks for the list! I'll look into them as time permits.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-08, 05:31 PM
Wow, thanks for the list! I'll look into them as time permits.

Some of those may have been supernatural abilities, I am human and I do make mistakes

Biggus
2019-08-08, 06:39 PM
The streetfighter ACF for Barbarian from the Cityscape web enhancement,

Mythic Exemplar (Sunyarta) - CC p.87. Limited times/day, though.

Ah, so there are a couple of actual 3.5 ways to increase your threat range past double, nice one. The others, while they're technically still RAW-legal because they haven't been updated, are almost certainly not RAI for 3.5 because they were written for 3.0 when threat range multipliers stacking was still standard, and I can't see most of the DMs I've played with allowing them in 3.5 games.

and blood in the water stance

You mean from Tome of Battle? If so, I can't see anything in it about increasing threat ranges.

The Viscount
2019-08-08, 06:43 PM
My mistake. I was thinking about how well it works with critfishing, but forgot it does not actually modify the critical range. It will help with confirming once your range is expanded, though.

Calthropstu
2019-08-08, 08:35 PM
They can be found in the dmg, numerous splat books, magazines and other places. Hope this helps!