PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Master Staffer

Doberler
2007-10-11, 04:52 AM
This is the first class that I've put up here, and I'd like some input on it. It's primarily a monk class though anyone could be drawn to it.

Master Staffer

"What? You think girls don't know how to hit people with sticks?"
-Tenala M'Davi, Master Staffer

Requirements:
Skills: Jump 8 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff)
HD: d8

Class Skills: The Master Staffer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str),
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge
(arcana/religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis),
Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Master Staffer
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2| Monk Abilities, Skillful Staff

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Staff Specialization

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Master Staffer Technique

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Powerful Staff

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Master Staffer Technique

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Leaping Staff

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Master Staffer Technique

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+7|Embed[/table]

Monk Abilities: A Master Staffer’s class levels stack with his monk levels for determining his AC Bonus, Stunning Fist attempts, unarmed strike damage and his unarmored speed bonus

Skillful Staff (Ex): At the 1st level a Master Staffer learns to use his quarterstaff to aid his movement. Anytime he has a quarterstaff in hand, he gains a competence bonus equal to his Master Staffer level on all Balance and Jump checks

Staff Specialization:From the 2nd level onward a Master Staffer is treated as if he had Weapon Specialization (Quarterstaff). Furthermore, he may now take fighter feats as a fighter equal to ½ his monk and Master Staffer levels

Master Staffer TechniqueAt 3rd, 6th and 9th levels a Master Staffer may choose one of the following abilities:

Groin Shot (Ex): As a standard action a Master Staffer may expend two daily uses of his stunning fist ability to attempt a groin shot. This ability is treated as a normal Stunning Fist attempt with the following exceptions; It’s DC is increased by ½ his Master Staffer level, it can affect creatures normally immune to critical hits but only if they have discernable anatomies and are capable of feeling pain. Any creature immune to critical hits gains a +4 bonus on this save. If the target fails its save, it is not stunned, however it immediately falls prone and is sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Pole Thrust (Ex): As a standard action, a Master Staffer may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability and make a single attack at his highest base attack bonus. If the attack hits, instead of taking damage his opponent is pushed backed a number of feet equal to the damage the attack would have caused. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 2d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Pole Vault (Ex): As a free action, a Master Staffer may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability and use his staff to vault over an opponent. He makes a jump check including the bonus granted by skillful staffer against a DC of 20. He may then move 10 feet as a 5 foot step. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Failure by 5 or more indicates that he failed to build enough momentum and lands prone in the square that he started his jump and provokes an attack of opportunity.

Rapid Staff (Ex): As a free action during a flurry of blows attack, a Master Staffer may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability and gain a competence bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to his Master Staffer level.

Sudden Staff (Ex): When a Master Staffer makes an attack of opportunity against an adjacent foe he may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability to immediately make a second attack with his staff. He use this ability only once per opponent per round.

Powerful Staff (Ex): Starting at 4th level the Master Staffer does his unarmed attack damage with both ends of his staff, applying his full strength modifier to damage regardless of how it is wielded

Bonus Feats At the 5th and 8th level a Master Staffer gains a bonus feat from the fighter bonus feat list. Feats chosen can only be applied to his quarterstaff. The Master Staffer must also meet all the prerequisites for the feat.

Leaping Staff (Ex): At the 7th level a Master Staffer can make a jump check during a charge action, if he makes the DC to jump to his target, he may add ½ of his check result to his damage. The Master Staffer need only move 10 ft. before attempting the maneuver instead of the standard 20 ft. Should he miss with the attack or fail to clear the distance, he loose his balance and takes damage equal to ½ the check DC and falls prone at the end of his jump.

Embed (Ex): At 10th level, when using a Leaping Staff attack, the Master Staffer may expend three daily uses of his stunning fist ability to embed a creature into the ground. The target must make a fortitude save (DC = 1/2 damage dealt) or sink into the ground 1 foot for every 5 points of damage dealt with this attack. If the ground is made of stone, masonry or other solid substance, the Master Staffer must make a strength check equal to the break DC of the given material.

EDITS AND CHANGES POSTED IN CYAN

Lochar
2007-10-11, 08:43 AM
Staff Specialization. You need to mention that the fighter feats taken can only apply to the quarterstaff, and you must still meet all other prereqs. (BAB, other feat prereqs, etc)

Embed. Looking at it, I see something off. With the Leaping staff adding half the DC to the damage, (Take 10 Jump, 18 ranks {8 ranks to get into the PRC, add 1 rank a level}, +4 from str, +4 Run feat, +2 acrobatics, +2 from tumble) that's 20 extra damage, making the base save a 30

Plus say 3 damage from a 1d6 staff, +1 enhancement, Power Attack for 10 (two handed swing) giving 20 more damage.

That's 44 damage, putting the final DC at 54, plus dropping them into the ground 8 feet, over the head of any medium sized creature. And that's not counting fighter bonus feats you allow the class to take.

Macrovore
2007-10-11, 08:58 AM
you should let their staff attacks deal damage equal to the unarmed strike damage (which may mean you'd want to let MS and mnk lvls stack for unarmed strike)

D Knight
2007-10-11, 09:35 PM
Rapid Staff (Ex): As a free action a Master Staffer may expend one daily use of his stunning fist ability, he may make a flurry of blows with a competence bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to his Master Staffer level.

seems alittle redondent as a ablity because a monk can use furry of blows with it already. it says os in the Phb. so ether rework it to allow a bounes attack or something eles. but all in all it looks great.

Nebo_
2007-10-11, 09:43 PM
Needs more BAB.

Doberler
2007-10-11, 11:33 PM
@ Lochar and Mac

Wow... It appears I need to work on my mental math, I'm going to implement both of your ideas, they'll do unarmed strike damage, but the DC for Embed is getting lowered to 1/2 damage dealt to compensate for the increase in base damage

@ D Knight

I changed the nomenclature to read a little better. Does it help?

@ Nebo

Mmm... No. I'm quite happy with its base attack where it is, unless you can justify your thoughts

Lochar
2007-10-12, 07:39 AM
So a DC of 32. That's still kinda high, but not bad for a 10th level PrC ability, since you have to be 18th level to get there.

With embed though, is it digging a hole with their body, or just enough space for them to go into the ground? Because if it's the latter, then a medium sized creature will immediately have to begin suffocation checks because they'd be in the ground over their head.

Doberler
2007-10-12, 10:47 PM
So a DC of 32. That's still kinda high, but not bad for a 10th level PrC ability, since you have to be 18th level to get there.

With embed though, is it digging a hole with their body, or just enough space for them to go into the ground? Because if it's the latter, then a medium sized creature will immediately have to begin suffocation checks because they'd be in the ground over their head.

Its just big enough for their body so yes, suffocation rules would come into effect. I got the idea from a combination of Kung Fu Hustle and a creature called the entomber in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

As for the save being a bit high, most martially focused classes shouldn't have too much of a problem with the save at that level

Lochar
2007-10-13, 01:08 PM
Yeah, but with a 40 Jump check, I'm going over the meleers and using this against a mage.

Doberler
2007-10-13, 02:43 PM
Yeah, but with a 40 Jump check, I'm going over the meleers and using this against a mage.

I would too... now heres something that I was thinking of adding

---
Leap of the Clouds (Ex): Your jump height is no longer limited by your vertical reach.
---

another thing... can anyone help me come up with a possible new name? every time i think about master staffer i get a vision of someone whos been working at an unemployment office for too long

Cieyrin
2007-11-04, 07:03 PM
I would too... now heres something that I was thinking of adding

---
Leap of the Clouds (Ex): Your jump height is no longer limited by your vertical reach.
---

You're still living in 3rd edition, since there are no more restrictions to Jump height any more. Leap of the Clouds is now a feat in PHB2 that lets you ignore the penalty for not moving 20' and gives you a +5 competance bonus to the jump when you do get your 20' running start.