PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Question: Hoards over time?

Crypkid
2019-08-06, 04:48 PM
So I have a creature I am making for real-late game, about 300,000 years old, a monster of roughly Tarrasque/Tiamat absolutely ridiculous level of power, CR 30+(Which isn't even a thing), sort of monster and I came upon the problem of hoards and time.

In the Dungeon Master's Guide it says that Legendary Creatures and a few others that really like treasure should have a minimum of two hoards. Now, that is a lot, but I was wondering if anyone has a system for determining how many hoards of treasure an ending of endgame monster should have based on time and assuming that it is collecting treasure the whole time.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it a realistic hoard of hoards? Not just like eighteen and a half, a system for time and hoard accumulation?

Damon_Tor
2019-08-06, 05:00 PM
So I have a creature I am making for real-late game, about 300,000 years old, a monster of roughly Tarrasque/Tiamat absolutely ridiculous level of power, CR 30+(Which isn't even a thing), sort of monster and I came upon the problem of hoards and time.

In the Dungeon Master's Guide it says that Legendary Creatures and a few others that really like treasure should have a minimum of two hoards. Now, that is a lot, but I was wondering if anyone has a system for determining how many hoards of treasure an ending of endgame monster should have based on time and assuming that it is collecting treasure the whole time.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it a realistic hoard of hoards? Not just like eighteen and a half, a system for time and hoard accumulation?

So with godlike levels of power, we're talking about wealth measured in "worlds conquered".

Tiadoppler
2019-08-06, 05:55 PM
If the monster is your BBEG/main antagonist, and the grand finale of a campaign, it has at least 1 hoard per PC.

If the monster is dumb, it may have its hoard(s) regularly plundered or robbed, in which case it may only have 1d4 or 1d6-1 hoards at any one time.

If the monster is intelligent, it will guard its hoards more effectively, and may only take wealth from a given city every thousand years, allowing the city and population to heal in between attacks for maximum benefit (Agriculture. Instead of crops, the monster farms cities), in which case it would have # of hoards = (average number of wealthy cities in its territory) * (its age in millenia)

If the monster is intelligent and capable of communication with mortals, it might have decided that the best way to gather great wealth is to invest money over time. Imagine that the monster has 1 gp.

He loans a mortal entrepreneur that 1 gp, under the terms that the entrepreneur must pay the monster back at the end of the year, with a 2% interest rate (1 gp and 2 cp). The monster takes 1 cp for its hoard, and then lends another entrepreneur the remaining 1.01 gp.

After 100 years, the monster has 2.7 gp lent out to various mortals, and his hoard increases in size by 2.7 cp per year.
After 1000 years, the monster has 209.59 gp lent out to various mortals, and his hoard increases in size by 2.1 gp per year.
After 2500 years, the monster's international bank has 640 million gp lent out to various companies, and his hoard increases in size by 6.4 million gp per year
After 3000 years, the monster's transplanar mega-corporation has 92 billion gp lent out to various companies and nations, and his hoard increases in size by about 1 billion gp per year.

After 300,000 years, the monster's hoard is 'all the wealth everywhere, in every possible universe'.

JNAProductions
2019-08-06, 05:57 PM
So, this is the end of the campaign, yeah?

All the wealth. All of it. Because, even more so than normal in 5E, what are they gonna spend it on? Let their characters have their happily-ever-after if they win.

Tvtyrant
2019-08-06, 06:01 PM

How does it acquire the treasure? Does it take over civilizations, does it demand tribute/tithes, does it lend out money at compound interest? It could turn out to be the world's largest landholder or simply leveled a bunch of cities.

Crypkid
2019-08-06, 06:09 PM
How does it acquire the treasure? Does it take over civilizations, does it demand tribute/tithes, does it lend out money at compound interest? It could turn out to be the world's largest landholder or simply leveled a bunch of cities.

I had an idea of it would explore the most ancient civilizations and ruins that have fallen out of memory that it still knows of, for example, and most notably, Ostoria, the giant's civilization. Sort of like a ruin/treasure hunter, but across planes.