PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Invocations Without Warlock or DFA

Thurbane
2019-08-06, 04:50 PM
Just a thought exercise really: are there any ways to get invocations without levels in Warlock or Dragonfire Adept?

AFAIK, there are prestige classes that advance invocations, but none that grant them outright?

There is the Codex Advocare in EtCR, but even with UMD, I don't think it would allow use of an invocation.

Are there any races or creatures that get invocations?

Are there classes or PrCs that mimic class abilities? I know Factotum gets something like this, but wouldn't work with Invocations?

Illithid Savant to eat Warlock/DFA brains?

As a temporary option, Spellthief, Ur-Priest or Hellbreaker to steal SLAs?

Not for any practical purpose, just a thought exercise.

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2019-08-06, 05:01 PM
Dragon shaman is the only way, short of stealing SLAs as you mentioned.

Rijan_Sai
2019-08-06, 05:10 PM
While not strictly "RAW," there is enough leeway in the Adaptation section of the Chameleon PrC that it might allow for making an Aptitude Focus: Invocation Focus, or something similar. Maybe?

Thurbane
2019-08-06, 05:30 PM
Dragon shaman is the only way, short of stealing SLAs as you mentioned.

Good call - I totally forgot that DS can swap out an aura for an Invocation.

Troacctid
2019-08-06, 05:59 PM
I mean, technically, enlightened spirit grants invocations without advancing them, but you need to already have invocations in order to qualify, so it doesn't count IMO.

Bphill561
2019-08-06, 09:58 PM
The last listing of the non-xp things you can do with a miracle spell let's you copy abilites of a similar power level to the things listed above. The invocations have spell level equivalents, so long as they are 7th level or lower they can be copied. Similar to shadow mysteries and truename magic.

For invocations there are not a huge number of new things that miracle cannot already duplicate from spells, but there are many 24 hour effects.

DrMotives
2019-08-07, 04:34 AM
MMV has the Ethereal Defiler, which can use eldritch blast for 6d6. If it gains Warlock levels, the damage for EB stacks with it's racial ability. Warlock DR also stacks with natural DR.

Asmotherion
2019-08-07, 05:29 AM
Well not invocations Per Say but:

There's a Ritual (Ritual of the Dark Flames) in Lords of Darkness that gives you a 10-foot Ranged Touch Beam that deals d6/HD negative energy at the cost of Wis Damage. Very Similar to the Hellfire Blast. The other two Rituals also grand benefits similar to invocations. Spur Lord Prc gives the same except it costs no Wis damage and is capped at 15d6.

You can also Persist Spells; A persistant Spell is similar to an invocation because both are available 24 hours.

Finally i suppose you could Dominate Person a Warlock and have his invocations available for yourself.

ShurikVch
2019-08-07, 07:29 AM
Ideas from the Savage Species:
Symbiotic Creature with Warlock as the "guest"
Emancipated Spawn PrC - ex-Warlock

Dragon Magic have Dragon Descendant PrC, which Eldritch Ancestor CF (IMO) is very similar to the Eldritch Blast

Psyren
2019-08-07, 08:45 AM
If you mentally consider "invocation" to be equivalent to "at-will SLA" I think the options increase considerably.

Rijan_Sai
2019-08-07, 11:33 AM
The last listing of the non-xp things you can do with a miracle spell let's you copy abilites of a similar power level to the things listed above. The invocations have spell level equivalents, so long as they are 7th level or lower they can be copied. Similar to shadow mysteries and truename magic.

For invocations there are not a huge number of new things that miracle cannot already duplicate from spells, but there are many 24 hour effects.

Aaaannnd you've just given me new ideas for my (future) Killer Gnome! Thanks for that!

Thurbane
2019-08-07, 04:57 PM
Great food for thought everyone!

MMV has the Ethereal Defiler, which can use eldritch blast for 6d6. If it gains Warlock levels, the damage for EB stacks with it's racial ability. Warlock DR also stacks with natural DR.

The only other creature I know of with EB is the Aspect of Chernovog (EtCR p.89). He gets 5d6 EB, plus Beshadowed Blast, Frightful Blast, Hideous Blow and Eldritch Chain.

Fun fact: I only accidentally discovered this morning that Chernovog appears to be based on real world mythology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobog); which is also the basis of the giant demon in Fantasia (https://gl-images.condecdn.net/image/qa03AYeg27E/crop/1620/f/chernabog_L.jpg).

ShurikVch
2019-08-07, 05:15 PM
One very roundabout way: Spellhoarding Dragon use their Spellcatching to get some Invocations into their Spellhoard; if you still need them as a SLA rather than spells, there are some options to turn spell into SLA - such as Innate Spell feat

DrMotives
2019-08-07, 06:20 PM
Fun fact: I only accidentally discovered this morning that Chernovog appears to be based on real world mythology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobog); which is also the basis of the giant demon in Fantasia (https://gl-images.condecdn.net/image/qa03AYeg27E/crop/1620/f/chernabog_L.jpg).

Chernovog is also a character in American Gods. He's the old man who talks about killing steer with a hammer in the meat processing plant. And in Bayonetta 2, his big hammer is one of the weapons you can get. He gets around in pop culture, at least a little bit.

ShurikVch
2019-08-07, 07:25 PM
Chernovog is also a character in American Gods. He's the old man who talks about killing steer with a hammer in the meat processing plant. And in Bayonetta 2, his big hammer is one of the weapons you can get. He gets around in pop culture, at least a little bit.Also, Tchernobog (https://blood-wiki.org/index.php/Tchernobog) in the Blood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_(video_game))

Bphill561
2019-08-08, 01:21 AM
Aaaannnd you've just given me new ideas for my (future) Killer Gnome! Thanks for that!

Flood of Shadows is a mystery that adds empower to shadow spells. There is also a true name ability to rebuild a destroyed item. I have been tempted to start a new thread on things to copy with miracle along these lines since I have not seen anything before.

Again though as far as invocations go, there is not too much you cannot already replicate through other spell emulation.

Thurbane
2019-08-08, 07:20 PM
May be a stupid question, but what happens if you enter a PrC that advances Invocations, using Dragon Shaman as entry? I assume there's nothing for the PrC to advance, since DS is limited to only one invocation?

MisterKaws
2019-08-08, 07:39 PM
May be a stupid question, but what happens if you enter a PrC that advances Invocations, using Dragon Shaman as entry? I assume there's nothing for the PrC to advance, since DS is limited to only one invocation?

yep, though if you get Eldritch Blast from Ethereal Defiler, you could then take Enlightened Spirit. Not sure why you'd do that at ECL 30, but maybe you got some magical build strategy.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-08, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine it going otherwise RAW. (Okay, that's a lie, I'm sure WotC has written rules that allow loopholes like that before). Precedent is against it, with even creatures that have native casting needing an actual level in that casting class for prestige classes to advance it. I doubt it would be possible to advance an invocation class you don't have any levels in (and while advancing Dragon Shaman with the prestige class would be possible, it wouldn't actually give you any more invocations).

Thurbane
2019-08-08, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the PrCs that advance invocations aren't as open to shenanigans as something like Anima Mage is (there is an argument that if you qualify for Am with feats, the levels of the PrC give you effective Binder levels, even if you have no levels in Binder).