PDA

View Full Version : How to make a permanent flaming man in 5e

AncientWolflord
2019-08-06, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone, I've been itching to bring an old 3.5 character of mine into a 5e campaign I'm playing in, but I just can't seem to find the rules for it. In 3.5/PF he was an ifreet, which gave him fire resist 5, and had a spell (either homebrew or from a splat book, I don't remember) that acted as continual flame, but gave off heat and dealt fire damage (my DM let the 1/6 chance of me taking 1 point of damage slide). I'm trying to emulate this character in 5e, but I'm having trouble finding something I'm satisfied with. The investiture of flame spell caught my eye, but I'm really looking for something more permanent, even if it's less effective.

One thought I had was to find a way to deal a small amount (even just 1d4 or less) of fire damage passively or using a bonus action every round, or any kind of elemental damage and ask if my DM will let me reflavor it to fire. But it seems like everything I'm finding requires using an action. I wouldn't mind having to drop one action to get the damage for the next X rounds, as long as I don't have to worry about running out.

Another idea I had was to get immunity or a flat damage reduction, and find some way to repeatedly immolate myself, but it seems like all I can hope for is half damage.

Any advice you can give is appreciated!

jaappleton
2019-08-06, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone, I've been itching to bring an old 3.5 character of mine into a 5e campaign I'm playing in, but I just can't seem to find the rules for it. In 3.5/PF he was an ifreet, which gave him fire resist 5, and had a spell (either homebrew or from a splat book, I don't remember) that acted as continual flame, but gave off heat and dealt fire damage (my DM let the 1/6 chance of me taking 1 point of damage slide). I'm trying to emulate this character in 5e, but I'm having trouble finding something I'm satisfied with. The investiture of flame spell caught my eye, but I'm really looking for something more permanent, even if it's less effective.

One thought I had was to find a way to deal a small amount (even just 1d4 or less) of fire damage passively or using a bonus action every round, or any kind of elemental damage and ask if my DM will let me reflavor it to fire. But it seems like everything I'm finding requires using an action. I wouldn't mind having to drop one action to get the damage for the next X rounds, as long as I don't have to worry about running out.

Another idea I had was to get immunity or a flat damage reduction, and find some way to repeatedly immolate myself, but it seems like all I can hope for is half damage.

Any advice you can give is appreciated!

The Tiefling racial feat from XGtE Flames of Phlethogos might work for you.

Sahe
2019-08-06, 05:50 PM
The best you could do is go with a Tiefling Pyromancer Sorcerer (from one of the Planeshift thingies) and take the Flames of Phlegetos feat, I think.

Every time you cast a fire spell you are on fire and enemies take fire damage when they attack you (from Flames of Phlegetos).

And when you cast a 1st Level or higher spell that deals fire damage, enemies within 10 feet of you take fire damage (Pyromancer).

Throne12
2019-08-06, 06:08 PM
Ask your dm if you can change the damage type on armor of Agatha from cold to fire.

Nagog
2019-08-06, 06:11 PM
As from above, Flames of Phalgos should set you up, if that isn't to your liking, try out the Aasimar's Radiant consumption. small bits of AoE radiant (can be retyped at DM digression) damage, you glow, and (as in the 3.5 by the sound of it) you take damage as well.

Amechra
2019-08-06, 06:13 PM
If you can get your DM to refluff it/change the damage type, the Cloak of Flies invocation from Xanathar's is perfect for this. It's a bonus action to switch on/off, and (among some other minor things) it deals [Charisma modifier] Poison damage to any creature that starts their turn within 5ft of you. The only real issue is that you can't take the Invocation until 5th level.

Fire and Poison are roughly equivalent in terms of how good they are, so swapping it over to being Fire damage shouldn't unbalance anything. For best results, combo with Flames of Plegethos (man, it's really hard to spell this damn thing - I had to look it up), for some sweet 1d4 fire damage to people trying to hit you.

AncientWolflord
2019-08-06, 06:46 PM
If you can get your DM to refluff it/change the damage type, the Cloak of Flies invocation from Xanathar's is perfect for this. It's a bonus action to switch on/off, and (among some other minor things) it deals [Charisma modifier] Poison damage to any creature that starts their turn within 5ft of you. The only real issue is that you can't take the Invocation until 5th level.

Fire and Poison are roughly equivalent in terms of how good they are, so swapping it over to being Fire damage shouldn't unbalance anything. For best results, combo with Flames of Plegethos (man, it's really hard to spell this damn thing - I had to look it up), for some sweet 1d4 fire damage to people trying to hit you.

Ooohh, this is definitely the strongest contender for me! I'm not sure of Flames of P would combo with it, since invocations aren't technically spells (I may be wrong on that).

I definitely like the Flames feat, but to get it exactly where I want I would need either a bonus action fire cantrip or for it to work for morre than one round. But it seems like it's the closest I'm going to get.

Talionis
2019-08-06, 08:26 PM
Desert Storm Herald Barbarian.

Amechra
2019-08-06, 08:38 PM
Ooohh, this is definitely the strongest contender for me! I'm not sure of Flames of P would combo with it, since invocations aren't technically spells (I may be wrong on that).

I definitely like the Flames feat, but to get it exactly where I want I would need either a bonus action fire cantrip or for it to work for morre than one round. But it seems like it's the closest I'm going to get.

I meant that the feat would give you the ability to punish people for punching you. The invocation wouldn't trigger it, sadly.

Sigreid
2019-08-06, 11:34 PM
If I were your DM I'd probably be willing to let you make a Circle of Flame druid where we'd use the Circle of Spores druid as a template and change that poison stuff to fire.

Maelynn
2019-08-07, 05:59 AM
If you want the benefits and the literal 'man on fire' look, then I agree Flames of Plegethos are the best.

Alternatively, if you want to stick more to the nature of your character you could go for a Fire Genasi (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/genasi). They're descendents from ifreeti, have a few cool fire features, and can physically look as if they're smouldering and if their hair's on fire. You could even play them as if they're a direct descendent of your own old character.

Sindal
2019-08-07, 06:28 AM
{Scrubbed}

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 03:17 PM
How to make a permanent flaming man in 5e Get a belt. Cast the spell "continual flame" on the belt. Put the belt on. A belt is an object.

A flame, equivalent in brightness to a torch, springs forth from an object that you touch. The effect looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn’t use oxygen. A continual flame can be covered or hidden but not smothered or quenched.

Voila: flaming man, permanent like.

Corpus
2019-08-07, 04:14 PM
As others have mentioned a Tiefling with Flames of Plegethos is a great start. You can also get Hell Rebuke at 2nd.

Add Tempest Cleric and change Sacred Flame to Fire damage, you can now cast a Fire spell every round to trigger FoP.

Change the Tempest "Wrath of Storm" to fire damage and you have another Reaction for causing damage when attacked.

Some other options to consider at least.

Trampaige
2019-08-07, 06:22 PM
Alternatively, if you want to stick more to the nature of your character you could go for a Fire Genasi (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/genasi). They're descendents from ifreeti, have a few cool fire features, and can physically look as if they're smouldering and if their hair's on fire. You could even play them as if they're a direct descendent of your own old character.

>have flames for hair, RAW
>hair doesn't vanish in antimagic field*
>cast control flames on own hair for 80s hair day, or to put human barbers to shame with "shapes in you hair"

*>go bald and have breakdown in first antimagic field

Crucius
2019-08-07, 07:56 PM
There have been better answers, but a reflavor of Scourge Aasimar could do the trick as well. Fire and cold resistance and a fire aura that does substantial damage.

While not permanently on fire, it is close to how you described your character was.