PDA

View Full Version : Which style of game do you prefer?

Lord Zentei
2007-10-11, 08:13 AM
Meaning MMORPG or single player. Both have their strengths, of course, the latter the storylines that they support while the former have more complex interactions possible.

Your thoughts?

Alex Kidd
2007-10-11, 08:18 AM
Single player all the way. I got enough interaction in my life, and really chat rooms and forums are better than MMOs as they don't try to put boring grind heavy gameplay into it.

Kylos
2007-10-11, 08:41 AM
Single player usually. Most MMOs I've played focus more on repetitive levelling than interaction with other players; typically most of the organized interaction is done through clans or guilds, whose main purpose is usually combat.

That said, when I find an MMO that isn't so preoccupied with gaining experience, I can get hooked rather easily. It's just that single-player games offer the sort of experience I'm looking for more often.

As a side-note, my favorite style of gaming is offlline multiplayer, as I feel it strikes a great balance between playing the game and communication, and just tends to be very fun in general.

Green Bean
2007-10-11, 08:42 AM
Single player, all the way. I keep my game play in my games, and my online socialization on the forums, like nature intended.

Plus I can't afford the fees.

Setra
2007-10-11, 11:43 AM
Multiplayer

To me, there is no fun in destroying an enemy, when I could be destroying a person.

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-11, 01:12 PM
Singleplayer often allows for more depth in plots and storyline, while Multiplayer is often more challenging...

Y'know, I honestly don't care, but I play Singleplayer a lot more than Multi.

Semidi
2007-10-11, 01:38 PM
A multiplayer I don't have to pay for.

Singleplayer usually ends too quickly for me though the actual expierence is better.

warty goblin
2007-10-11, 01:43 PM
Singleplayer exclusively.
A single-player is entirely on my terms, there's no griefers, nobody insulting me because I'm less (or more) skilled then them, no monthly fees. I can put exactly as much into the game as I want and how much somebody else puts in doesn't matter. I can play games way past when they were produced and the company stops supporting them in single player when I might not be able to find players online. Its not that I have anything against playing online, I just prefere it being me vs. CPU.

It does have its downsides I admit, it can be kinda lonely sometimes, but on the other hand I never recieve cryptic comments on my race, gender or sexual preferences just because I managed to kill somebody with a sniper rifle...I'll take the solitude.

Martok
2007-10-11, 05:24 PM
Singleplayer exclusively.
A single-player is entirely on my terms, there's no griefers, nobody insulting me because I'm less (or more) skilled then them, no monthly fees. I can put exactly as much into the game as I want and how much somebody else puts in doesn't matter. I can play games way past when they were produced and the company stops supporting them in single player when I might not be able to find players online. Its not that I have anything against playing online, I just prefere it being me vs. CPU.

It does have its downsides I admit, it can be kinda lonely sometimes, but on the other hand I never recieve cryptic comments on my race, gender or sexual preferences just because I managed to kill somebody with a sniper rifle...I'll take the solitude.

LOL! Well put. :smallamused:

I generally prefer singleplayer as well. I like to play games that don't depend on other people for me to enjoy.

2007-10-11, 06:59 PM
I like this new trend toward co-op multiplayer.

I don't like the aformentioned questioning of my sexual preference when I kill someone (well, sometimes, its part of playing a game like Halo to me), but its pretty cool to meet up with someone and mow down the CPU while saving the world together.

Gears of War did this pretty well. My roomate and I would play it and get entirely too into in. Our neighbors always knew when we were playing, because they'd hear:

"GO! I'll cover you!"
"Locusts over here!"
"'Nade out! Take cover!"

And lots of manly high-fives. It was a blast.

Thats why I'm really looking forward to games like Rock Band, where you all have to cooperate towards a goal.

SurlySeraph
2007-10-11, 07:41 PM
Single-player. However, as ... said, co-op is the best kind of gaming there is.

Scroofy
2007-10-11, 07:47 PM
I have a strong affinity for multiplayer coop play. I have a group of about 4 other people I play with once or twice a week in nwn modules. I find if I try to play an RPG game by myself I get bored pretty quickly.

warty goblin
2007-10-12, 10:34 AM
I could see getting into co-op- since it solves the cryptic insult problems and things like lag and general lameness, except for the nagging problem that so few PC games do it, and I'm the only person I know with the hardware to run them anyway...(consoles just arn't an option for me, I can pretend that there's some reason for the massively overpowered machine in my room for schoolwork, not so much for a 360 or PS3)

Darken Rahl
2007-10-12, 12:21 PM
The flaw in your question is assuming that the only two types of games are single player and massively multiplayer online games.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-12, 12:41 PM
Now, I haven't played many games, but MMORPG, most definitely. For some reason, I quickly get bored with single player games. Lonely, much? Yes. The only single player game which I've thoroughly enjoyed is the Prince of Persia games. HALO 1 campaigns? Didn't do 'em, straight to online. I did like Age of Mythology in single player for a while, but once I got online it was much more interesting. WoW is pure win.

Though I can not stand the stupidity of people online, single player just isn't as interesting. Games with a single goal; ie. finish the game, not so interesting. Even if there is a good storyline, I'm not likely to have any more runs through it.

The idea of a Wide Open Sandbox (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WideOpenSandbox) is just all too appealing.

Setra
2007-10-12, 01:05 PM
The flaw in your question is assuming that the only two types of games are single player and massively multiplayer online games.
That's why I just answered 'Multiplayer'

Castaras
2007-10-12, 01:05 PM
Depends on the MMORPG, depends on the single player.

I kinda like both as much as each other. Single player games like Age of Mythology, Caesar III, Civ II, Dungeon Keeper II, and the Might and Magics are cool. But Anarchy Online, Civ II(multiplayer), and Dungeon siege II(multiplayer) are loads of fun as well.

Overall, I think I slightly prefer MMOS...no, Single player...Multiplayer...no...

GAH! :smalleek:

Can't decide.

warty goblin
2007-10-12, 01:44 PM
Now, I haven't played many games, but MMORPG, most definitely. For some reason, I quickly get bored with single player games. Lonely, much? Yes. The only single player game which I've thoroughly enjoyed is the Prince of Persia games. HALO 1 campaigns? Didn't do 'em, straight to online. I did like Age of Mythology in single player for a while, but once I got online it was much more interesting. WoW is pure win.

Though I can not stand the stupidity of people online, single player just isn't as interesting. Games with a single goal; ie. finish the game, not so interesting. Even if there is a good storyline, I'm not likely to have any more runs through it.

The idea of a Wide Open Sandbox (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WideOpenSandbox) is just all too appealing.

which is why I play Oblivion a disgusting amount- the same thing without the annoying dude playing the gnome wizard named "Gayzird" hopping up and down and screaming "GIMME BUFFS!!11!11. Plus in Oblivion I really can be the most powerful person in the world and do epic things that nobody else can, in an MMO there's another person like that just around the corner.

Don't get me wrong- I can definately understand the appeal of multiplayer games, and have occasinally played them, and have no deep idiological hatred of them or anything like that. To me (and apparently to many others) they just don't offer as much as single-player games do.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-12, 01:55 PM
My devotion to Single Player is absolute and total.

I prefer being the hero, and in an MMORPG, you just feel like one of a crowd. Also, I don't have to worry as much about tactics because I don't have to worry about miscommunications between teammates. Most of the games I play have a grind element to them already anyway (Neverwinter Nights I and II), but have enough story to back it up. In an MMORPG, the story takes a backseat as you can't really have one storyline because not everyone will follow it. I'm fine with killing things and taking their stuff, but at least give me a good reason why I'm killing things and taking their stuff!

Lord Zentei
2007-10-13, 05:09 AM

It was really a question to see which of these popular styles was the more popular around here.

So, perhaps I should have asked "which of these two do you prefer".

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-13, 06:29 AM
GTA style, shoot 'em up style and RPG style = Single.

However I would like to interact with some of the wider gaming Community...

Mr.Moron
2007-10-13, 09:11 AM
"Apples & Oranges", really. I enjoy both and play them for totally different reasons. I even enjoy non-mmo multiplayer games and take something different away from those well.

Single player games provide something fun I can pick up and put down any time I want. If I'm going to stop playing I at worst have to wait about 5 minutes to get to the next save point in a console-style RPG. Most you can just turn off instantly. Also between the three types single-player games are really that best a more cinematic style, story-based experience. Sure even some of the better video games are hardly timeless masterpieces, but they can still be very entertaining and interesting.

Non-MMO Multiplayer games typically provide a good competitive experience. I go into a game, I've got somebody to play against and it all takes place a single match. Really they're closest in spirit to sports, board games and even stuff you played as kid like tag and hide-and-go-seek.While it requires a bit more dedication than a single player, I feel guilty to just up and leave the other player(s) in the middle of something, it isn't like an MMO where you're always dealing with a long-term time investment.

MMOs are nice because they let me build something long term. I can play long term, I can find interesting things for my character and build him up over time. It's not like a single player game where I can just get to "100%", point at it and say "I've done everything!". Instead I can look at my character and think "Oh cool, this is something I've made. I can still improve it too!".There is no pre-set content limit, patches and new things will be added as we go along. The game only ends when I want it to, when I stop playing. The interaction with the players is also different, interaction feels much more consequential within the context of the world.

Tom_Violence
2007-10-13, 04:33 PM
I have neither the time nor the inclination to play a game that never ends, where I am just one of out millions the goalposts are so completely out of sight that I never really feel like I'm achieving anything. I'm also yet to see a MMOG with a decent enough story, or in fact any substantial content, to make me feel like I'm playing something more than just Generic Game Engine XYZ.

'Go there, hit that, repeat' really doesn't appeal to me.

Inhuman Bot
2007-10-16, 05:08 PM
Single player is fun, yet when i play dragonshard or impossible creatures theres no banter and when i say something, all i hear is an echo... Sigh..

Mmorpgs or games like Warcraft 3 are fun in that theres loads of people to play with, yet my not-so-fond memories of them include: OMFG U NUB LEARN TO PLAY when i get mugged in Halo, WTF U BLACK JEEW HAXOR in Warcraft 3 when i kill someone ten minutes into the game using Knights while they have.... Acolytes.. So both are generally downers to me unless there co-op, which most PC games are not... Sigh

Fleeing Coward
2007-10-17, 04:10 AM
While both have their good points, personally I prefer MMORPGs.
Single player games usually offer a better storyline and let's you pick up to play and save whenever you want, but it does get boring after you go through the game once or twice.
On the other hand, interactions with other players in MMORPGs usually means there's rarely a dull moment even during periods where there's nothing to do but grind through the same mob again and again. Of course, it is alot more time consuming and there are some jerks that can make life hell but the extra challenges available and people you can meet are worth the occasional trouble that arise as far as I'm concerned.

sun_tzu
2007-10-17, 05:22 AM
Funny thing...For the last few years, I've played almost exclusively MMORPGs. Thing is, I have very little social interaction in them, and tend to go solo whenever I can. And yet, for some reason, I enjoy them more...I get more of a feeling that I'm operating in a complex world.

Truestrike
2007-10-17, 05:51 PM
"Apples & Oranges", really. I enjoy both and play them for totally different reasons. I even enjoy non-mmo multiplayer games and take something different away from those well.

I completely agree. I need a game now and then i can pick up blow something away and put it down, But i also need a game that i can get into and loose myself to reality.

Triaxx
2007-10-18, 08:54 AM
I like to play single player, primarily because I don't have to rely on others to generate, or enhance my experience. Or ruin it.

On the other hand, I do like games, like Diablo and Sacred, where I can not only play in single player mode, but also take it online and follow friends into battle.

davwalp
2007-10-18, 10:05 AM
Single player almost exclusively, although I do a lot of Pbp games on www.roleplaymarket.com

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good MMOs out there. You just need to devote WAY too much time to them. If I need to play a game 40hrs a week to have a chance of doing well...forgedaboudit.

Tom_Violence
2007-10-18, 09:51 PM
On the other hand, interactions with other players in MMORPGs usually means there's rarely a dull moment even during periods where there's nothing to do but grind through the same mob again and again.

I think this actually highlights why I don't get on with MMOGs. Doing something boring will always be just that to me. Having someone around to talk to makes it slightly better, but when I really think about it my options strike me as thus:

(1) Do something immensely boring in front of a screen, on my own, typing words to faceless strangers all evening, OR
(2) Go and meet actual people and enjoy and evening that way.

Basically, a MMOG provides neither decent entertainment (because the game is dull and repetitive), nor decent social interaction (because whatever can be got from within the game pales in comparison to talking to people face to face). So I just don't see the point.

I completely agree. I need a game now and then i can pick up blow something away and put it down, But i also need a game that i can get into and loose myself to reality.

First - only 1 'o' in 'lose'. Common mistake, but one that always bugs me.
Second, another thing I fail to understand - how does a MMOG help you to "lose yourself to reality"? It always struck me that the mechanics were so utterly ridiculous that one's suspension of disbelief was presumably something that was forked over as part of the subscription fee.

Triaxx
2007-10-19, 08:55 AM
For your first point, I have only one thing to say: Leroy Jenkins.

For the second point, that's the idea. The mechanics are that complex so you have put everything else out of your head, so you can concentrate on what you're doing. It's a great way to lose the world. Of course I can get that from single player games, so I don't have to worry. :smallbiggrin:

Sarastro
2007-10-19, 09:00 AM
Before World of Warcraft I had never even thought about playing an MMO. After I got it as a Christmas gift from some friends of mine, I've been playing it ever since. My opinion is that playing an MMO is only really worth it if you have got a group of friends to play with. LFG and so on can be too much trouble sometimes.

Setra
2007-10-19, 10:30 PM
I think this actually highlights why I don't get on with MMOGs. Doing something boring will always be just that to me. Having someone around to talk to makes it slightly better, but when I really think about it my options strike me as thus:

(1) Do something immensely boring in front of a screen, on my own, typing words to faceless strangers all evening, OR
(2) Go and meet actual people and enjoy and evening that way.

Basically, a MMOG provides neither decent entertainment (because the game is dull and repetitive), nor decent social interaction (because whatever can be got from within the game pales in comparison to talking to people face to face). So I just don't see the point.
Some of us can't go out and meet people, and on another note, meeting people in game provides common ground, and makes people feel like less of a total stranger.

Some people are shy, and can't talk to people well in person, some people just want to relax at home and maybe meet some people while playing a game.

Also, entertainment CAN be found in MMOs, just because YOU find it dull and repetitive doesn't mean others cannot find fun in it. Admittedly much of the fun is at higher levels, in many games, but even in the boring parts of games such as FFXI, I had plenty of fun merely conversing, when otherwise with 'normal people' at perhaps a bar, I would probably be bored out of my mind, as I do not normally like to talk to people.

First - only 1 'o' in 'lose'. Common mistake, but one that always bugs me.
Second, another thing I fail to understand - how does a MMOG help you to "lose yourself to reality"? It always struck me that the mechanics were so utterly ridiculous that one's suspension of disbelief was presumably something that was forked over as part of the subscription fee.
The mechanics are second nature once you get ahold of the general gist of them. I myself sometimes like to pretend I am Delta MKI, Super Cyborg Hero of Paragon City.

It sounds to me like you just don't like it, just remember that some people like things you will not.

Shea Landford
2007-10-21, 10:46 PM
I prefer the multiplayer part of the time. Yet, most of the time you end up with immature brats who only know two words. F***, and newb. And I hate that.

Setra
2007-10-22, 12:56 AM
I prefer the multiplayer part of the time. Yet, most of the time you end up with immature brats who only know two words. F***, and newb. And I hate that.
And sometimes you end up with the people you just enjoy talking to, and have fun with.

In FFXI and City of X I rarely come across immature people (though it seems more common in City of X), I come across fun people much more often, the ratio is ridiculous.

Maybe the brat thing is a WoW thing.