PDA

View Full Version : alright hear me out, but this is not my fault.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-06, 07:22 PM
I was forced into this situation. But really it just made me think of a solution. And I think I may have come up with one.
Now I have a cantrip that takes an Action to use. We are running away from the drow. i want to be able to create cover for my ranged inclined fellows and the NPCs we are with. Could i use my movement Action to walk with the party while using my action to sweep our path behind us slowly creating a ball of earth that follows behind us slowly creating a mound that a person could hide behind?

How much do you think that would slow the party. I know of the movement speed of the spell "mold earth".

Is d&d beyond a good source for d&d aratus? Because they changed the mold earth spell from what is in the book I have.

Lunali
2019-08-06, 07:32 PM
First off, DNDBeyond is pretty much always going to be up to date since it's the site that is officially able to have WotC's stuff up.

By the book, you'd have to move then create a mound behind you, leaving a series of mounds for hiding behind. Narratively, if I were DM I'd let you just have a mound that follows you as long as you were using your action on it. However, either way that means you aren't using your action to dash, reducing your potential speed considerably.

Also, it bears mentioning that DMs will vary wildly on what to consider loose earth, some will consider almost anything as long as it isn't solid stone, some will say that it won't work unless its basically already tilled soil.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-06, 08:52 PM
What does Wotc stand for? I do not understand this shorten everything to one letter language. And I don't think anyone would understand it if they were seeing it for the first time? There that should fulfill the ten letters requirement.

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-06, 08:59 PM
So it is not unreasonable? I was wondering because I don't have access to a dirt donkey. And getting dirt out of a bag of holding would take to long since you can only grab one handful at a time. All I could think of was make the loose earth travel with the party gathering any loose dirt or rocks in a five foot area until I had a 5ft cube of loose dirt to work with.

Tawmis
2019-08-06, 09:00 PM
What does Wotc stand for? I do not understand this shorten everything to one letter language. And I don't think anyone would understand it if they were seeing it for the first time? There that should fulfill the ten letters requirement.

WotC is the company name that owns D&D (that's "Dungeons and Dragons") called "Wizards of the Coast."
:smalltongue:

Naknakthebedshe
2019-08-06, 09:02 PM
WotC is the company name that owns D&D (that's "Dungeons and Dragons") called "Wizards of the Coast."
:smalltongue:

It's good to learn new things. Now brain you need to take note of this so we can remember this we are counting on you.

Lunali
2019-08-06, 10:46 PM
If the ground isn't already loose earth it becomes more problematic. If the ground were already loose earth, you would be able to make new piles every 30ft (or whatever your speed is) so there's no real problem with narratively saying that you're creating a swell of dirt that's following you. If you're trying to use the spell to move dirt from somewhere else, you can only move it 5ft per casting.

Tawmis
2019-08-06, 10:48 PM
It's good to learn new things. Now brain you need to take note of this so we can remember this we are counting on you.

Don't worry - I've been on the forum for a VERY long time; and I still new terms I have no idea what they mean! (These kids and their lingo!)
I even made a thread asking about it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594160-Forum-Terms-amp-Acronyms-in-regards-to-gaming) and there's some useful information for finding out what some acronyms might mean that people linked on there.