PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with Shadow Conjuration

Jay R
2019-08-06, 09:01 PM
I'm playing a gnome illusionist that now has Shadow Conjuration. [In a couple more levels, he will also be a Shadowcraft Mage with Shadow Illusions, and the same questions will come up.]

1. Am I correct that since the spell I'm really casting is Shadow Conjuration, I don't need a material component, even if the Conjuration spell I'm mimicking has one?

2. "Regardless of the result of the save to disbelieve, an affected creature is also allowed any save that the spell being simulated allows, but the save DC is set according to shadow conjuration’s level (4th) rather than the spell’s normal level." This answers one question about the DC, but not another one:
a. He has a +3 to DC for illusion spell saving throws (gnome, spell focus, greater spell focus). Do these apply to the second roll as well?

3. Similarly, how is it treated with regard to caster level:

a. He has a -1 caster level on Conjuration spells (from gnome illusionist level 1 and spellgifted). Does that apply to the range, duration, effect, and area of the spell, given that this is actually an illusion spell?

b. He has a +2 to caster level for illusion spells (spellgifted). Does that apply to the range, duration, effect, and area of the spell, since this is actually an illusion spell?

Thanks for your help.

Kalkra
2019-08-06, 10:01 PM
I'm playing a gnome illusionist that now has Shadow Conjuration. [In a couple more levels, he will also be a Shadowcraft Mage with Shadow Illusions, and the same questions will come up.]

1. Am I correct that since the spell I'm really casting is Shadow Conjuration, I don't need a material component, even if the Conjuration spell I'm mimicking has one?

Yup, neither material components, nor xp. Also always 1 standard action to cast. Go crazy. If Dragon material is allowed, War Spells.

2. "Regardless of the result of the save to disbelieve, an affected creature is also allowed any save that the spell being simulated allows, but the save DC is set according to shadow conjuration’s level (4th) rather than the spell’s normal level." This answers one question about the DC, but not another one:
a. He has a +3 to DC for illusion spell saving throws (gnome, spell focus, greater spell focus). Do these apply to the second roll as well?

I would assume so, it increases all DCs. I could be wrong about that, though.

3. Similarly, how is it treated with regard to caster level:

a. He has a -1 caster level on Conjuration spells (from gnome illusionist level 1 and spellgifted). Does that apply to the range, duration, effect, and area of the spell, given that this is actually an illusion spell?

b. He has a +2 to caster level for illusion spells (spellgifted). Does that apply to the range, duration, effect, and area of the spell, since this is actually an illusion spell?

Thanks for your help.

He's casting an illusion spell, not a conjuration one. The effects just happen to be the same. Illusion effects apply, conjuration ones don't.

DrMotives
2019-08-07, 04:28 AM
Any effect created with Shadow Conjuration is an illusion, not a conjuration. So all feats and modifiers for schools apply as for illusions, even though they are quasi-real. Same applies if you get Shadow Evocation, those aren't going to actually be evocations either. The question 2a is also that as an illusion, you can use your illusion spell DC for every saving throw.
Same for question 3, everything about this counts as an illusion spell, so you'll be throwing very strong spells with the fake conjurations you cast. Same applies again if you pick up Shadow Evocation as well, everything counts as illusion.

Jay R
2019-08-07, 06:32 PM
Thank you both for your help. One of the great aspects of the internet is the ability to find specific experts who are willing to help, from anywhere in the world.