PDA

View Full Version : What was or is your favorite character and or build you made.

Throne12
2019-08-06, 09:14 PM
I'm looking for inspiration on my next character. So I want to know what other people have made.

firelistener
2019-08-06, 09:48 PM
Honestly, my favorite to play has been the no-frills human totem barbarian I played. Combat was just really simple, and his personality (musclebound and simpleminded, but brave and righteous) was super easy and fun to role play. The most unique thing was him being on a journey to attain spiritual prowess. That is, he needed to hit level 10 and be able to listen to the "fire spirits" that his tribe worshiped. That's actually where my screen name on here is from.

Other fun characters I didn't like as much:
Gnome fey warlock, liked playing tricks on people.
High Elf celestial warlock, in a pact with an angel of Corellon seeking an evil fiend warlock that killed his brother.
Human champion fighter, as vanilla as could be but worked as an investigator and was good with maps. Also liked this guy better than the warlocks.

I mostly just get to DM so I don't have a ton of characters I've actually played.

Urukubarr
2019-08-06, 11:04 PM
rogue arcane trickster / warlock pact of the tome, the idea being a thief that made magic deals to be the best thief, invocations were devil sight and aspect of the moon, as an aside I love the aspect of the moons as you get to RP how someone would act if they were awake 24/7 forever.

rogue scout / barbarian, can go totem, and go berserker if worried about mind effects. shortsword and shield. shortsword lets you get dex and str benefits, reckless lets you get your own sneak attacks, uncanny dodge stacks with barb resistance to 1/4 damage reaction, bonus action sprint on a barbarian, etc. very nice synergies, your very good at kill if you need kill, and can be fast and tanky too, bonus points if tabaxi. bugbear great too.

half elf samurai fighter with elf feat for triple advantage on demand, combine with action surge to pin cushion anything to death within extreme bow range, a better bow ranger then ranger.

college of glamour bard, trickery domain cleric. make everything think twice, no three times about attacking you, while being amazing team support, and a great face, lots of RP potential.

and mention goes to wild magic sorc, your game will never be boring, for better or worse.

anyway, hope that helps.

Magzimum
2019-08-07, 05:45 AM
I have a Gnome Wizard Enchanter Urchin, with high dex and therefore good stealth. He's only level 3 at the moment, but got spells like charm person, suggestion and invisibility. So, without multiclassing, he can still sneak like a rogue, be charming like a bard and also cast firebolts (and at level 5 surely fireballs). And he's got a pet mouse (spell: find familiar).

Khrysaes
2019-08-07, 05:59 AM
Difficulty for me to answer...

Of all time: 3.5 edition Changeling with a homebrewed version of the Divine minion template, master of many forms. SO versitile and fun.

Of 5e: A homebrew Goblin Alchemist Artificer. The artificer was homebrewed.

Within published material: Changeling Hexblade/Lore bard. I gave him thematic changes to make him Fae themed, such as being hexblade for Caladbolg, a sword that shoots rainbows. My eldritch blast were prismatic, my grasping tentacles were kaleidescopic. I was a celtic lore master.

Maelynn
2019-08-07, 06:11 AM
I had a Dwarf Barbarian that I loved to play. Still regret that campaign ended.

He was a master brewer (Guild Artisan background) from the mountains who had some... anger management issues. Even though he was a well-respected member within his clan, he eventually was asked to go on a 'business trip' to find a way to deal with his outbursts. This is also why he had an INT of 12 and wasn't the stereotype dumbass Barbarian.

He was a very decent fellow, a bit no-nonsense and gruff but otherwise pleasant enough. However, as soon as he'd suffer first blood he'd snap and go into rage. This made it very difficult one time, when the party wanted to keep an enemy alive for questioning and the Dwarf was still in rage and kept trying to kill him off - he was eventually distracted by one of the corpses (the Warlock gave it a swift kick to make it look as though it was still alive) and proceeded to chop it up while the others questioned the captured enemy. I believe the DM even allowed an auto-Intimidation just because of the threat of siccing that Dwarf at them.

During the adventures he decided to follow the Path of the Berserker (XGtE wasn't released yet and Totem really didn't fit) and learned to embrace and utilise his rages. He also evolved his moments of rage from first blood to heavier damage.

He loved a good brew, always had some on him, and it was the reason he eventually befriended the Elf in the party (who had chosen alcoholic as personality flaw, mostly in response to my background to create some nice roleplaying options).

He had a greataxe named Dorna, it was his biggest treasure.

Mitsu
2019-08-07, 07:03 AM
Those are my fav I played with:

1. Vengeance Paladin/Divine Soul Sorcerer - probably strongest build I will ever play, that thing was unstoppable holy force of nature. I felt like Chaplain-Interrogator from 40k

2. Ancestral Guardian Vuman Barbarian 6/14 Fiend Warlock. Very fun as I was main tank and was using Armor of Agathys + Barbarian damage reduction + temp. health on kills. Was roleplaying sort of battle shaman. PAM + GWM. It was with rolled stats (18 STR and 16 CHA rolled) so that is why it was working so well. But Ancestral Guardian himself is very very fun to play as.

3. Sword Bard/1 Hexblade was fun to play as using Shadow Blade and SAD CHA. Not really nova or most DPR character but fun nevertheless.

4. Gloom Stalker/Assassin was very, very fun to play but that is because my DM understood surprise mechanic I had a lot of openings on enemies when I was sneaking to them so I had a lot of fun with auto-crits + extra attacks on this build. Wish I had Shadow Blade with that :D

Builds I plan to play as after I finish my current campaign:

Tempest Cleric 2/Evocation Wizard 18 Goblin - to combine sculpt + emp. evocation, Fury of The Small and Overchannel with Tempest cleric CD for maximum lighting damage. Taking feat elemental adept (lighting) too.

Half-Elf Drow EK 12/8 War Wizard to play with Shadow Blade and Action Surge.

Arcane Tricster 19/1 Hexblade Half-Elf Drow

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 07:57 AM
I'm looking for inspiration on my next character. So I want to know what other people have made.
So far, my Human Tempest cleric.
I had the most fun with his back story.
Tempest clerics are flexible in terms of mixing it up and casting.
War Caster feat helps concentration. Bless your barbarian and paladin ally, what them smash things.
Call Lightning: situationally, only used it three times. Each time it was very handy.

Heal when needed.

Sadly, the campaign went dormant as we were turning level 7.

One shot: best character was a Monk 1 / Moon Druid 10.

47Ace
2019-08-07, 08:26 AM
I am planning on playing a Githyanki Abjuration Wizard with Heavily Armored, 18 str, and using his great sword proficiency and GFB as his primary cantrip.

solidork
2019-08-07, 08:59 AM
I'm really enjoying my EK 7/Celestial Tomelock 7 generalist. He's a magical investigator with a jackdaw magical style who works for a Couatl that is trying to collect dangerous magical artifacts and keep them out of the hands of people who would misuse them. Through a series of disasters, he's been appointed Special Investigator to the Open Lord of Waterdeep (this isn't a good thing though) and he's slowly learning to make it work out to both his and Laeral's advantage.

Stuff he can do:
- Find Stuff (Perception Prof + Observant, Investigation Prof + Headband of Intellect, Eldritch Sight Invocation, Wall Hacks Invocation, Gem of Seeing for Truesight)
- Know Stuff about Magic (Arcana Prof + Headband)
- Do social stuff (Persuasion, Expertise in Insight from Prodigy)
- Heal (Celestial Warlock)
- Melee Well (Shillelagh with Staff of Thunder and Lightning, 2 attacks, War Magic for Cantrip + BA Attack)
- Range Well (Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, he has a Broom of Flying to keep his distance)
- Rituals (Book of Ancient Secrets)
- Be Sneaky (Knows Disguise Self and Invisibility, Stealth Prof w-out disadvantage from armor)
- Protect Himself (18 Base AC, Shield, Mirror Image, Shadow of Moil)
- Crowd Control (Hypnotic Pattern)
- AOE Damage (Staff of Thunder and Lightning)

He's rarely the MVP in a fight, but he can always contribute something.

malachi
2019-08-07, 09:05 AM
All-time favorite character (not DnD) - Ladimir "Ladd" Vislovski, basically grew up in the wilderness of Not!Russia, was abused by his superstitious mother for his innate magical ability, and was sent to Not!Spain by his father for training to become a mechanic for magical robots. Eventually joined a mercenary organization at the age of 16, and felt really out of place, and tried his best to impress a couple of the big, strong father-figures in the group. Oh, and he was deathly afraid of magical robots.

Fun 5e character - Nacris Siannodel, a High Elf Noble Arcane Trickster. The rogue class was chosen basically because it mechanically fit the skilled guy with magical capability (although the illusion/enchantment focus of spells and the proficiency in thieves' tools felt off). He had 9 siblings, many of which became important in the plot (everyone loves two of his sisters, and HATES one of his brothers). He's 78 years old, so technically still a child, causing legal annoyances in trying to use household funds and whatnot. He's also 4'10", making him only marginally taller than the dwarf, and extremely small compared to the 6'5"+ height of everyone else in the party.

Current character - Quillion "Quill" Ilphakar, a Drow Evocation Wizard with the Criminal background, despite being selfless and generous (although this is tinged by growing up in the underdark). His brother, another NPC, is a Divine Soul Sorcerer with the Folk Hero background, nicknamed "Lore". This results in Lore being loved even on the surface, despite being a selfish jerk, and somehow getting all the credit for Quill's good deeds. The criminal enterprise Quill is involved with was to basically replace Drow surface raids with legitimate trade (and so it's only criminal in the Underdark because it's attempting to replace their evil way of life).
We rolled for stats (4d6 drop lowest straight down), race, and background, resulting in 12 Dex, 18 Con, 17 Int. I describe him as looking like an elven lumberjack.

TheCleverGuy
2019-08-07, 05:41 PM
Honestly, the Dwarven Illusionist I'm playing currently might be my favorite. He's a hermit who spent the better part of 2 centuries breeding, studying, and experimenting with mushrooms and other fungi. I didn't want to play as a generic wizard with robes and a staff and all that. So instead, I'm sort of a hippy dwarf magic-scientist whose mind is a bit addled by long-term exposure to hallucinogenic compounds. I've re-fluffed all my spell components to include strains of fungus that I've either discovered or created myself.

Wizard was the class that excited me the least until I hit on this idea, and I've really been having a blast with him.

Yakmala
2019-08-07, 06:13 PM
Surprisingly, my Human Barbarian. I'd tried Barbarians before and hadn't really liked them. They felt too limited.

But then I took a different approach on the background and created an "Urban Barbarian". He was just a big tough kid from the wrong part of Waterdeep. Born to a tavern wench and an unknown father, he worked his way up from street urchin to gang member to hired thug to bouncer to mercenary to adventurer.

Mechanically, he's a Bear Totem Barbarian with Expertise in Athletics via the Prodigy feat and a bit more in Charisma than a typical Barbarian. He's got proficiency in performance and fancies himself a musician and poet, but he knows it's his sword arm that pays the bills.

He's a mercenary through and through. He won't take a job that he considers immoral [no hurting women and kids. No terrorizing the poor for the benefit of the rich, etc], but once he accepts a job, he's dedicated to getting it done and makes his decisions based on what he's being paid to do. He'll often talk his way out of fights, not because of his desire to avoid conflict but because he's not specifically getting paid to fight the opponent in question.

His straightforward approach to everything is very much a Barbarian trait, but it has the flavor of a streetwise thug rather than a tribal warrior. He became something of a party favorite, in part due to his willingness to let others do the heavy thinking and planning [which allowed other players to shine in the skills department], but when a direct solution to a problem was needed, he was the tip of the spear.

Crucius
2019-08-07, 08:08 PM
Glad to see so many barbarians in here :D

I'll add one too:
Berserker barbarian/stone sorcerer multiclass.

Mechanically the character is designed around the modal change within the rage ability; the flexibility of a spellcaster, but a panic button for melee brawling.

Thematically the character embodies change; after working for the zhentarim for many years she had a (near) death experience that changed her mind about the organization and awakened her latent sorcerer powers. This was accompanied with a physical change from human to fire genasi and now she is running from her former employer.

For style points I gave her a magic hairtie that keeps her hair out of her face, but as soon as she rages the hairtie dissipates and her hair falls before her face all edgy like :')

berserker7878
2019-08-08, 02:51 AM

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/458522805812880971/

My character is a goliath of misty mountains, he is one of the five original tribes who defend the mountain, keep his secrets.
He is a 25 year old male, 2.20 meters, 140 Kg, bald with beard (in our story my DM said ok for the natural beard), he has green eyes and red tattoos (which appear after highs war facts)
He is an optimistic, proud, raw goliath who defends the good, loves to save people, defends against the weak but hates the lazy people who do not make efforts to become stronger.
It has evolved in relation to its ancestors, it recognizes brute force but also leadership, magic power, charisma and other more subtle power.

He is simple, likes simple things, love, food, battle, friends, does not understand and hate lies, treason and things like politics and things like that. for him the strongest (not only physical) must reign in order to raise his people.
he has nothing against homosexuality or the fact that women are stronger, for him the most talented person for a task must do the task regardless of sex, race etc ...
he is a barbarian warrior (Lv 11-1) who likes to use force but who uses it in a localized way, he does not brutalize anyone for bad reasons, but he should not be annoyed, the group recognizes him as someone powerful with some leadership and likes to follow him because he does not lie, uses all the capabilities at his disposal and does not fight for greed or money.

he has a barbaric human apprentice who is a lycantrope, they have a very fusional relationship and they like to fight, he has a girlfriend who took sun god and is a paladine with a strong character, he is quite disturbed because the love is new for him.

stats:

Fighter lv 11 barbarian lv 1, brute archetype.

26 str, 15 dex, 18 consti, 10 wis, 9 intel, 8 cha

1 feat: tough 178 hp, 23 AC

- 1 sword of sun: 1d8 +1d8 radiant damage
- half plate 15+2dex+1
- belt of giant 23 str
- shield ( paladin soul in shield) +2 AC and +5 AC one shot per/day

Arkhios
2019-08-08, 04:30 AM
To tell which character is my favorite, I need to start from the beginning. Bear with me, this might be a bumpy ride...

In 3.5, back when I was still young and foolish (now I'm just foolish)...
I had several fun characters when I played Living Greyhawk, but I think the most favorite of them all was the first character I've ever made myself. A Pureblooded Suel Fighter who became a barbarian and later a Cleric of Kord. Those who don't know what a Suel is, they were this naturally pale northerner human race, with usually blonde hair, you know the drill. Basically perfect Aryans (but that was NOT the reason why I chose to play one).

During 4th edition playtest, my character was a blind wizard (amusingly enough, considering a certain thread on the front page). The character was/is based upon a short story I wrote when I was in upper secondary school, a few years before I came to play table top D&D in the first place. His gimmick was that he'd been born blind to a nomadic northerner tribe, but due to some fateful event, he was given magical powers in his birth at a cost of becoming blind. Not like a sorcerer, but rather as a "Inherent Magic Initiate" (using 5th edition ideas to explain it). Due to his blindness, he would've been tossed to the wolves, because he would've been a liability to the tribe. However, the tribe's shaman saw his magical talent and deemed that he would have a great destiny, deciding to take care of him instead.

When D&D 5e/Next came up, in our playtest I decided to play with the previous "blind mage's" concept again, although as we talked about it with my DM, we decided that maybe the character could be special in another way. He ended up becoming a prophesied "Stormbearer" (although I learned of this name and prophesy only after we had started) whose fate was to end an unnatural winter storm that had raged in the region for decades on end. When he was born, the winter storm ended abruptly, and he became a "vessel" to contain those primeval powers. At first, though, he couldn't control the storm within, but in time (way past the scope of our playtest) he grew to become one of the greatest archmages ever known. The powers vested in him were eventually passed on to his descendants (what, a wizard had time to get kids? Preposterous!), slowly diluting them in the process, which had been the plan* all along. But before he could meet his son, he disappeared in mysterious circumstances, never to be seen or heard of again, leaving behind only his legacy.

...Which leads me to my latest, and so far the most favorite character I've ever made and played with. I took a lot of inspiration from the first character I mentioned in the beginning of this post, mixing it with Warcraft's Paladin and their connection with the Light, as well as 4th edition's Warden class, seasoning the character with viking and celtic mythology and honor codes.
The character is a direct descendant of the archmage I mentioned above, a devout worshiper of the Old Faith (specifically a god of storms, who is strongly connected with said faith). Just like his archmage ancestor and their kin, he has strikingly white hair, pale skin, and ice-blue eyes (similar to previously mentioned Suel). His people are a mix between native american indians and vikings, with a cultural similarities with celtic druids (hence the Old Faith).

Unlike you might think of a person who comes from a semi-nomadic culture, he is not a barbarian, but rather, a Paladin, of the Oath of the Ancients. His appearance is very similar to a barbarian, wielding two one-handed weapons and favoring very aggressive approach in combat. But mechanically, he is just a paladin with the Dual Wielder feat.

*during his Sacred Oath ceremony, the paladin encountered the Archfey Titania, who told him the story of his ancestry and of the powers his bloodline had carried for generations. It was she, who placed the powers of the winter storm inside a mortal vessel, who was his ancestor. She told him (the paladin) that the unnatural storm had been placed upon the region by a malevolent being, and that she had foreseen his ancestor to be worthy to contain those powers, and to use them for good. Which he did. Many times over. Perhaps the most remarkable thing was to play a key part in bringing a lasting peace between warring neighboring races.

Long story short, when my character was ready to make his Sacred Oath, Titania had decided that it was time for the archmage's descendants to repay the gifts that were granted upon his lineage, in swearing allegiance to her.
After the encounter was over, my character had to make a saving throw (which I failed) and he forgot everything he had been told :smallbiggrin: (although, DM said it would come up later and everything that was said would come back to his memory).

FabulousFizban
2019-08-08, 09:19 PM
Jasper the Hunchback Torchbearer. You need someone to carry your baggage eh? How ‘bout ole Jasper?!
Jehoshaphat!

Meichrob7
2019-08-11, 07:28 PM
Nimble old human librarian with a hobby for researching magic ended up nabbing blackrazor in whiteplume and turning into a bit of a front line tank because he kept stealing the health of the slain enemies.

Our dm one time made the mistake of letting us make level 11 characters with out choice of legendary magic item for a oneshot idea and I got to taste the disgusting might of a champion berserker barbarian sea elf with elven accuracy critfishing with wave. Turn after I’d rage if I reckless attacked I’d usually get a crit or even two sometimes.

Warforged Artillerist Artificer who used powerful build to carry the turret and reflavored it to be a shoulder mounted turret. Ended up using the new crossbow infusion to make w machine gun style rapid fire heavy crossbow.

Berserker barbarian 3 and Rogue 2, would have ended up as Berserker 3 Swashbuckler 17 but we ended our campaign early because we wanted to start up another one. But being able to sneak attack twice per round was hilariously fun especially because we didn’t have a ton of encounters per day so frenzied rages weren’t as bad as usual.

Those are some of my favorites that I’ve actually played, a few other fun ideas that haven’t made it into a game yet...

Kobold Beastmaster ranger who rides their wolf companion and they both get pack tactics

Reskinned Artificer who’s mechanics are all manifested by strange plants he’s grown that produce the effect so of his spells and magic items. The guy has a small window garden type thing strapped to his back.

Gloom stalker tabaxi who’s cat breed is panther or something else with a near black coloring to synergies with the gloom stalkers crazy stealth in the dark.

Thief rogue with healer feat who can pick up party members as a bonus action. The idea behind it was he’s a bit of a coward and isn’t helping thenparty for altruistic reasons but becahss he’s terrified he’s gonna have to fight alone if they’ve all died.

BaconChest
2019-08-12, 09:01 AM
Tabaxi Shadow Monk was great, just so much freedom with the ability to move fast, teleport and hit things multiple times all in the same turn. Exhilarating to play, and low Cha meant her efforts to be Lawful and not intimidate people were often hilariously ineffectual.

Dwarf Bear Totem Barbarian was fun as well, was using a more extreme variant of point buy so I was allowed to have 7, 8,7 for mental stats to max out physical. Made his background that he was literally raised by bears, wrecked face in the wilderness campaign that I was playing in.

Newest character is an Oath of Redemption Goliath Paladin, I'm hoping she'll live up to her potential. I really like the RP value of the sub-class, and Paladin is such a strong chassis to be working from.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-08-12, 09:44 AM
My favorite d&d character has to be Crunchy the Minotaur

He was a level 18 (at the end of the campaign at least) Totem Warrior Barbarian 15, sun soul monk 3

As with all my favorite characters, it was more narrative choices that made him stand out. Crunchy was pretty wise, but he had an int of 6... The druid pointed and I smashed. In the beginning, I realized I had an above average movement speed and backstoried it as having been forced to constantly run every day in the maze I lived in. It sort of became my mission to be the fastest thing in the world, not because it gave me a mechanical advantage, but just because it was amazing every once and a while. Crunchy was also randomly rolled a magic item that let him make moving tattoos on his body so his whole body was covered in depictions of monsters and tally marks of how many of that monster he had killed. this combined with the shadow dragon head he wore as a hat, and the ability to shoot lasers out of his eyes made crunchy a terrifying presence at best, and I'll never forget my DM's face when I swapped an incredibly powerful item i had found for a Vorpal greatsword and he saw the deaths of all the monsters in the future of the campaign.

I would always recommend having at least one terrible stat just for the RP glory it brings. Crunchy ended up having a max speed (with dash and boots of speed etc) of over 400 feet a round, and that was one of the most hilarious things I have ever done in a game (there is no feeling like punching something that just dimension doored away from you). Moments and friends are the things that make a character amazing, so make a character that can have both and you will almost always be happy with them.

Reevh
2019-08-12, 11:07 AM
From a character perspective, I really enjoyed playing my Half-Orc Cleric, Throkk Tarkelby. His mother (human) was beaten to within an inch of her life and impregnated by a roving band of Orcish marauders, and she was found by some Gnomish traders who tried to nurse her back to health. Unfortunately she died in childbirth, so my character was brought up in a gnomish family. They treated him very well, but he was made fun of by the other gnomish children in the village, and consequently never really developed good social skills. He was very close with his sister (a gnome), who tried to protect him from the other gnomish children. He also took up with the local blacksmith, who was a cleric of Erathis, and came to believe strongly that civilization and order was the only way someone like him could have survived in a place where no one trusted him because he was different. He ultimately went on to become a Forge Cleric of Erathis, but had terrible social skills. Just didn't really understand human interaction very well.

Mechanically speaking, my favorite was an Elven Arcane Trickster. He found a deck of many things at around level 10 and pulled a card, was lucky enough to get a card that gave him +2 Dex, bringing him to 22. He then died in an encounter and was revivified, but came back touched by the Raven Queen, taking on Hexblade Warlock levels. At this point, using a 1 handed weapon (usually a shadowblade), he had a nearly 30% chance to crit (using Elven Accuracy, with all that entails for sneak attack) with every attack against a hexblade's curse enemy, and still had a 22 AC (Hexblade gave him shield proficiency), and could cast Shield to bring his AC to 27. If enemies still got through all that, he still had Evasion and Uncanny Dodge. He was an absurd character that I didn't start out planning to build that way. Unfortunately there was some drama and the campaign fell apart before I got to use those skills very much.

Ursusvitae
2019-08-12, 11:39 AM
Favorite character ever was a 2nd edition Dwarf fighter with the Pugilist kit from fighter handbook, Louis "Tiny" Lupo. Tiny of brain, large of body, he was a legbreaker in a dwarven mafia themed game, cousin to two other dwarf characters. Wore sharkskin gloves for interrogations, and brass knuckles with his name spelled backwards on the fingers for fighting. Finishing move-stamping his name on someones forehead. Favored gold plating the teeth of his enemies and braiding into his beard.

While evil, he wasn't the plotting/scheming out for #1 type evil. More of a willing to do anything for the family, including murder, torture, etc.

Favorite moment was in 2nd session of game, the BBEG underestimated Tiny's stupidity and brutality and overplayed his hand. It ended with Tiny suddenly attacking him, shoving his hand in his mouth, and beating his skull into the pavement. Kinda hard to cast spells with a 250lb dwarf on your chest with his fist in your mouth.

He was also terrified of rats. Which made for some awesome roleplaying.... "Yoos want I should lean on him?... Eeeeeek, a rat, get it away, get it away!!!!"

Dalebert
2019-08-12, 11:50 AM
Monk of the long death with 2 levels Moon druid. The best part is temp HP to help you stay in animal form longer and eventually you can spend a ki point to drop to one HP instead of zero. If you're in beast form, you stay in beast form and take nothing from your real HP! Doesn't matter if the attack did 100hp. Bonus: You get to be kung Fu Panda or turn into an almirage and be the super tough monster bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Oh, and he's a ghost wise halfling so he can communicate while in beast form.

jdolch
2019-08-12, 12:02 PM
1. Fallen Aasimar Oath of Conquest Paladin 7 / Hexblade Warlock 2 / Shadow Sorcerer 11 (That was so much fun after playing Goody-Two-Shoes all the time)
2. Half-Elf Devotion Paladin 6 / Divine Soul Sorcerer 14
3. V-Human Battlemaster Fighter 2 / Divination Wizard 18

GlenSmash!
2019-08-12, 12:33 PM
Surprisingly a Berserker Barbarian.

With Tavern Brawler and Expertise in Athletics from Prodigy he would punch and grapple opponents with ease. Then pummel them with a versatile weapon in one hand. If there was no one he could grapple due to size or immunity he would put both hands on his weapon and Frenzy.

cykonetic
2019-08-12, 02:58 PM
Luzanni Hearthston, Dwarven Priestess of Berronar Truesilver
Fig1,Wiz2,Cle8

S 13, D 10, Cn 14, I 14, W 18, Ch 8
Acolyte
1. Fighter
2,3 Wizard (Evoker)
4+ Cleric (Light)

Defensive fighting style (AC 22 w/ Splintmail, +2 shield)
Spell-shaping Domain Fireballs (and nearly every other domain spell)
Magic Missile, Feather Fall, Shield prepared with a bunch of 1st Level rituals in her spellbook
If DM allows, Familiar delivers Cure Wounds

She was also a fun RP, having left the stronghold to find her husband that went off to fight in the giant wars. She is convinced he's a drunk sitting in some rundown tavern or another.

nickl_2000
2019-08-12, 06:02 PM
Usually the next one I have planned in my head. I have this problem with creating and getting attached to the character in creating to the detriment of the character in playing.

That is why I gave up making backup characters.

Although, I'm one session into dragonheist playing a boisterous vhuman paladin and having a lot of fun with him so far. Although I've only been in a bar fight so far.

Tawmis
2019-08-12, 06:15 PM
I enjoyed playing (I no longer play him because my hours at work shifted and getting to the brewery took an hour in traffic!)...

But Tiefling Paladin (Oath of Redemption).
Long story short, gypsies found him abandoned in the woods as an infant.
In a world ruled by vampires, he was raised to believe that he can make a difference and taught the ways of the Old Gods.

So it was fun to have a "contrasting" notion of someone who looks demonic but has a great heart - very similar to Nightcrawler of the X-Men.

E’Tallitnics
2019-08-12, 06:44 PM
Myra, my 24th level Magic User. This was under the BECMI D&D rules and way back then being a Magic User was brutal! I think she was my 8th attempt at getting one to live past 4th level.

From 4th to 8th was a very exhilarating time. By 24th level we figured out for her to wake up and memorize her entire spell list it would take something like 10 or 11 hours.

Good times...:smallsmile:

GreyBlack
2019-08-12, 07:21 PM
In what edition?

My favorite character to play was Barak Velas, a Hexblade/Duskblade (he was rebuilt for in character development from hexblade to duskblade) with something of a pansexual streak. His big defining characteristic was that he was originally a cultist of Wee Jas and Nerull before the cult killed his dad; he then escaped and made it his life's goal to destroy the cult.

He eventually found out that the cult was holding prisoner the daughter of Wee Jas and Nerull, rescued her, and settled down with 3 godlings. This was in 3.x though. In 5e...

Lizardfolk tempest Cleric sailor. He was trained as the clan shaman before realizing that it was a waste of his talents to be stuck with only one clan and struck out on his own. He abhors waste and frequently takes either fingers to eat later or just straight up raises the corpses so he can have bodies to fight for him. Again, waste not want not.

moonfly7
2019-08-12, 07:29 PM
My college of discord (xanathars lost notes) bard named john forthhold, who wielded the golden violent of asmodeus, which he won in a music comtest against Asmodeus himself. He had killer performance, so he cpuld actually he the best there ever was. His stat was so high I had to roll a nat one to fail a check. He was fun to play though because the party I was in was only bards, and I had to get creative, like teleporting inside of a dragon, casting cloud of daggers inside said dragon, and so on. Easily my favorite character.

bobofwestgate
2019-08-14, 04:51 PM

In 5E I've had a ton of fun with my Human Battlemaster Fighter tank. Man, sentinal w/ Taunt maneuver wrecks. Oh you are attacking my ally, I'm going to sentinal attack as a reaction, use taunt and since you are attacking someone other than me, you get disadvantage on the attack. Maneuver's have made that the funnest fighter I've played across like 4 editions of the game

Xihirli
2019-08-14, 06:24 PM
It’s a tie between a Goblin Ranger/Fighter (“I will prove my worth through violence” later learning it was her good deeds) and a half-hag Battlemaster (“the villain’s lieutenant killed my family” but her family is evil hags and she’s learning that she’s better without them), though I’m coming around on a Half-Drow Bard I’m playing (the older sister of a “chosen one” who blames her mother’s belief in an incorrect prophecy for her baby sister’s death).

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-14, 09:46 PM
Any RPG:
Locus from Numenara. A "cruel glaive who explores dark places", Locus is the kind of character that gave me my username. A literal sociopath (incapable of guilt or embarrassment, almost no empathy, and very little regard for sentient life except as a source of entertainment), with powers and a backstory about as edgy as you can get, on the surface he looks like the perfect "problem character" that messes up party dynamics and ruins the fun. Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. Because he was motivated almost solely by personal entertainment and very smart, he was one of the party members most devoted to heeding other members of the group and generally being a team player (there is literally no better consistent source of entertainment to a person like Locus than an adventuring party; it's a constant supply of interesting places, interesting challenges, and interesting victims stupid enough to attack the party). Throw in a redeeming quality or two (due to his backstory, Locus was highly protective of children, and as the adventures went on he became genuinely fond of his party members) and he stayed on the sympathetic side of the sliding scale. His unique psychology, easy-to-amuse nature, and competence left the party sometimes grateful, sometimes amused, and occasionally seriously creeped out, but rarely frustrated, and he was always fun for me to roleplay. It also helped that playing a tank in a low-crunch system like Numenara is pretty fun.

3.5 PC:
For characters I've actually played, it's gotta be Smyler, the CN pirate with aspirations of global domination. Built to be able to do a little bit of everything (Rogue 1/ Crusader 1/ Rogue +3 currently, going into Dread Pirate next level and maybe Legendary Captain the level after that), he's interesting because he looks like a chaotic mash of alignments and character traits from the outside (he always keeps his word, saves cities without requiring payment, pulls off heists, commits acts of piracy, steals from freedom fighters, and undermines the corrupt baron they were fighting against, to name a few things). In reality his goal is power, and he plans to get it by building his reputation. Heroics, villainy, keeping his word... all equally valuable from his point of view, but they're one and all a means to an end for him rather than an ethical standpoint (which is why he's CN). Incidentally, as he starts building his own system (one he actually cares about as more than something to be alternately obeyed, subverted, or exploited) his alignment will likely transition to True Neutral and then Lawful Neutral.

3.5 Villain:
I've never actually played a game using her, but check out Futility (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23920484&postcount=63), also in my signature. The build has some very real problems (if I were to do it again, I'd drop Gravetouched Ghoul and Winged Creature, probably replacing them with more levels of Totemist and maybe Witchborn Binder), but I adore the aesthetics and characterization. Most 'brute' villains are too limited in abilities (and intelligence) to survive and become recurring villains; as such, most recurring villains are highly intelligent spellcasting masterminds; and anything with enough brute force and scope to fall into neither category (e.g. the Tarrasque) tend to feel more like natural disasters than individuals. Futility defies these categories as an brute who is unstoppable and unkillable, but mostly operates on a very personal level, and has a personality that is naive, direct, and generally childlike, which (I hope) gives her a very unique feel. As for her aesthetics, I won't spoil the twist, but it's certainly unique.

4e: I've only really played two characters in 4e for any length of time, but both were a lot of fun. Anduril was a min-maxed Wood Elf Ranger who dished out incredible damage despite my horrible luck with rolls (I think that in his entire career, I managed to use a daily power without needing Elven Accuracy to reroll it once). The other was a Tiefling Warlord by the name of Akmenos, built for flexibility and breadth of options (using that sub-class from Martial Power whose name I forget). I remember my friends were super skeptical of the class initially, but by the end of the first fight they were in love with the tactical options and synergies he provided.

5e: While I quite enjoyed playing Iris, a heavily armored half-elf Tempest Cleric 2/ Storm Sorcerer X, I think my favorite character has got to be Jaun "Aegis", an aasimar Cavalier Fighter/ Oath of the Crown Paladin built to be the best tank possible (as in redirecting attacks to himself and defending allies, not just personal toughness). Playing him was particularly fun because the campaign kept throwing up opportunities for me to roleplay his self-sacrificing and generally altruistic nature, culminating in his death on a one-man suicide mission to shut off an almost grey-goo like fog at the source. He pulled it off, but due to his lack of understanding of arcana (and relatively poor intelligence) spent too long attacking the wrong device before figuring it out, and succumbed to the last vestiges of killer fog even as he destroyed the true source. Elsewhere, his party members managed to stop a terrifying and ever-growing black goo monster by releasing what (we're pretty sure) was an ancient world conquering evil, who also resurrected Aegis as one of their rewards. The evil emperor guy rebuilt him out of the party's memories and more of that creepy black goo, and the result was... not quite right (represented mechanically by a switch to the Fallen Aasimar sub-race), but the campaign petered out before I really got to explore that (in reality, he wasn't all that changed, but was perfectly willing to pretend he was crueler and more monstrous as an intimidation tactic, to end fights before they began or at least draw aggro).

Mechanically, Jaun "Aegis" was inspired almost wholly by this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHb4jq3nes), though personally I'd drop that last level of Fighter in favor of more Paladin.

furby076
2019-08-14, 10:06 PM
In pathfinder 3.5: Paladin 7, Cleric 3, Exorcist of the Silver flame 10. The cleric levels were really to just allow better spellcasting with exorcist. It would have been a total waste to put 10 EoSF levels into paladin spell casting. In game the character was THE CHAMPION OF THE SILVER FLAME...until the dm, to teach me a lesson, named an NPC THE champion of the silver flame. I was kinda miffed about that because he was just being spiteful.

In 5e...straight up Human Paladin...though my v.human mystic is just starting out, and she is becoming fun (more tactical)

Mikaleus
2019-08-15, 01:54 AM
I’d have to say my favourite character I’ve played in 5e is still my first- my Ancients Paladin Varis.
Folk hero (blessed by a Fey)
Half elf
Sword and shield user.
His brother was a Hexblade warlock.
Varis was a massive flirt.
He encouraged a Dragonborn town guard to pursue his passion for mixing drinks and got him a job at a bar that catered to dark desires - it wasn’t uncommon at all to see a good aligned priest and a succubus at a booth together for example, where his talents were appreciated by all. (Despite the evil in the establishment, it was also a sort of neutral zone, and I did a divine sense on the owner and he flagged EVIL!!! But he was a businessman and actually held to his word).
Tried to encourage the boss of the town guard to follow the oath of the ancients, especially seeing how miserable and empty she was. She challenged him to a duel and explained to him that if he won she’d listen some more.
At that point, she pulls out a massive 2 handed Axe and goes Beserker mode on him - he survived after a heavy butt whooping....and became slightly infatuated 😁
There were more in that campaign but sadly it ended after our DM pursued a new life overseas. Did the night hag have her revenge on Varis, his brother, the cleric of Pelor, the chaotic Gnome sorceress or the Firbolg Druid?
I may never know 😫

Chalkarts
2019-08-15, 08:42 AM
My favorite that I've built, I've only gotten to play once.

I had a Kobold Fighter in 3.5, built for a con tourney, She had wings and several flying feats so she could hover and fly with near perfect maneuverability. She was specialized in thrown weapons and used a lot of splash weapons.

I'd love to rebuild her for a 5e game but the 5e kobolds really suck.

Crgaston
2019-08-16, 01:35 AM
I've posted this guy before, but since you asked...

He's taller and thinner than an average Dwarf... 4' 8" and 160#.

He has the Mercenary Veteran background which means he's pretty much seen it all, and also that he recognizes the importance of working as a team.

He has a laconic personality with regard to adversity, but is pretty much certain any obstacle can be overcome.
"Ja, is no problem."

And he has a German accent, not a Scottish one.

Still likes beer though... moreso lagers than ales.

The Combat Medic/Sidekick
Mountain Dwarf
Mercenary Veteran background
18/14/16/8/11/10

Thief 5/Battlemaster 6
Fight in a breastplate and shield for 18 AC and use a short sword with Dueling FS for a +8 to hit/+6 to damage for 2 attacks with +3d6 SA on one hit (circumstances permitting). Use a whip for reach and throw daggers for range. You'll really want a melee buddy to grant you SA and to take advantage of your Sentinel feat (eventually).

Take Resilient Wis, Squat Nimbleness, and Healer feats. If you can't use Squat Nimbleness then you'll have to use an ASI to get your Str to 18, but you could at least have a 12 Wis that way because you’d start with a 14 instead of 15 Str in Point Buy. Sentinel is next on the list.

Take Expertise in Athletics (+12!) and Stealth (+10, despite the 14 Dex and Medium armor). Rogue 6 is right around the corner for Perception and another choice, probably Medicine, Persuasion, or Investigation.

For maneuvers on this guy I like Goading, Pushing, and Riposte. Since you can use a Healer's Kit to do pop-up healing as a Bonus Action, while you're hovering over your fallen comrade you can use Pushinging on a thrown dagger or whip to keep enemies from approaching.

At this level, the Healer feat lets you do 1d6+15 HP of healing as an action to dispense to each party member (or 1d6+5ish for each soldier in your army… it’s per short rest for THEM… the only limitation for you is having enough supplies)

You'll have great Reaction usage. Uncanny Dodge if they hit you, Riposte if they miss, and Sentinel (eventually) if they attack your buddy instead.

Although this build gets a lot of Short Rest abilities, it'll have the pop up healing until you run out of Healer's Kits, and Uncanny Dodge at will, along with insane grappling and stealth skills, excellent mobility, and solid DPR.

Miz_Liz
2019-08-16, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna cheat and pick two, for very different reasons.

Elliara Drineal is a 4e half-elf paladin/bard hybrid. I love her because she's fantasy me with the cheese turned up to 20. Kind, gentle, slow to anger but ruthless when you hurt someone she loves. She plays support 9/10 but if she needs to start going ham with her exalted war-hammer she is not afraid to do so. She's also my longest running character (campaign is still going strong at almost the three year mark)

Thalia was a 5e dreams druid with an abusive familiar and a possibly evil former mentor. I based her on Crona for the anime Soul Eater, and she was a wild ride to play. Almost felt more like a warlock, the way her relationship with her mentor went. She was an absolute chicken and would rather run than fight any day. I spent a lot of time summoning animals for her to hide behind. Would've loved to keep playing her, but a stream of poor IC decisions led to a tpk.

FilthyLucre
2019-08-16, 04:24 PM
3.5: Focused Specialist Conjurer 5/ Alienist 10/ Archmage 5.

raineym
2019-08-16, 04:49 PM
My favorite character in 5e was a character based on The Princess Bride's Westley/Dread Pirate Roberts/The Man in Black. He was a VHuman Rogue [Swashbuckler] 8 / Bard [Swords] 6 / Fighter [Battle Master] 6. RP'ed him as such, adding in just a smidge of Jack Sparrow for good measure. Funny part was that at the end of the campaign, my character became a pirate off The Sword Coast in Faerun.