PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A weird fighting style

Suicide
2019-08-07, 06:16 AM
Hello everyone! I have a difficult task, so I will be grateful even for a little help.

System - dnd 3.5.

So, i have Air Genasi (+2 dex, -2 cha), with 1st lvl Fighter class.
He have next stats:
STR 12
DEX 19
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 7

Feats: Point Blank Shot(PHB), Rapid Shot(PHB).
Skills: Move silently, Climb, Swim, Jump.

Next level i want to pick 2nd Fighter lvl, and Willing Deformity + Deformity: Teeth from Heroes of Horror handbook. It means that i will have next benefit:

"You gain a bite attack that can be used as a natural weapon to deal damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifi er. If you attack with other weapons, you can use your bite as a secondary attack (taking a -5 penalty on your attack roll) for 1d4 + half Strength modifi er damage. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus on Intimidate checks."

Questions is - what is the best way to build up this character in this conditions, to make him a...a "teeth-wielding bow-user". It's free to re-balance him to "teeth-side","bow-side", or "universal".

I know this is really strange and ineffective, but i appreciate any interesting solution in conditions pre-set above.
Thanks very much!

P.S. Sorry for my english if it looks awkward.

Anthrowhale
2019-08-07, 07:00 AM
When you have a bite attack, it's common to pick up a mouthpick weapon.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-08-07, 08:21 AM
Now that I haven't seen before.

You can't use Multiweapon Fighting, so you're not getting that -5 penalty down to -2. That means the bite attack is probably best used on touch attacks--say, trip attacks--but since prone creatures get +4 AC against ranged attacks, that's not too useful.

Okay, how about this: pick up Karmic Strike and Combat Reflexes, and every time you fire while threatened, you provoke an AoO, which allows you to make a counter-AoO, which is your bite attack. Then you just need a nasty rider on the bite...

Honestly, a much better way to do this would be to take levels in totemist. That'll let you get a better bite attack, as well a bunch of other useful abilities. For example, the Ankheg Breastplate gives you a 1d8 bite attack that also deals +1d4 acid damage per point of essentia, which means it's doing about twice as much damage as your current bite. The Behir Gorget is much the same, but gives you electricity damage. The Brass Mane gives you attack and damage. The Worg Pelt gives you a free trip on every bite attack. And so on.

The Viscount
2019-08-07, 12:09 PM
If you plan to be flying most of the time, look into the raptoran footbow from Races of the wild so you can still use your hands.

Suicide
2019-08-07, 12:59 PM
Thank you very much for advices!

Karmic Strike + Combat Reflexes sounds interesting!
I think, i must find out how to improve the jaws of my genasi, to make more harmful or often bites.

There is a lore part, a father of my genasi, look at jaws xD
https://sun9-2.userapi.com/c854420/v854420899/b17ca/r3y0nupfWBI.jpg

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-07, 10:04 PM
There are a couple feats that give you an attack of opportunity when someone attacks you.

Robilar's Gambit (PHB II) is probably the best, since it applies to any attack (the AoO has to be melee, though, barring some specific ability/feat to the contrary) and only has BAB +12 as its prerequisite.

Karmic Strike (Complete Warrior) is second-best, because it requires Dodge and only works on attacks that actually hit you. Stacks nicely with Robilar's Gambit, assuming you've got a high enough Dex to be making all these AoOs.

Defensive Throw (also Complete Warrior) is the third one I know of, and lags behind its counterparts. Lots of prereqs, only works when the target of your Dodge feat misses you, and can only be used to trip. Still, if you've got the other two already and still have plenty of feats to burn, why not? If you've got that many feats to spare, though, you may want to invest in...

Stormguard Warrior is a synergistic feat from Tome of Battle that lets you forgo any opportunity attacks you could be taking in exchange for a +4 to hit and to damage for all your attacks against that opponent next round (or just +5 to damage if you use one of the feat's other options; up to you). This lets you rack up some pretty fantastic bonuses with the right build (lots of reach, and as many of the above feats as you can squeeze in). Another advantage of this feat is that it means you don't have to invest as much in Dexterity; since you're not actually taking the AoOs, you don't need a high Dex to fuel Combat Reflexes.