PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Accessing subsystems through feats alone

heavyfuel
2019-08-07, 07:24 AM
I know some subsystems, namely DSP's psionics and maneuvers, are available for characters by means of feats.

What about other subsystems? Specifically I'm looking for a way to cast spells through feats, but I also want to know about other things. Like akashic magic, for example. We don't play Spheres of Powers/Might, but feel free to point out these subsystems as well for the sake of completion

Thanks!

Psyren
2019-08-07, 08:56 AM
You can get SLAs through feats (e.g. Arcane Talent) but I'm not aware of a way to get actual spellcasting.

It's less direct, but some scaling class features can be picked up in exchange for feats via VMC. I don't know that any of these are involved enough to be considered "subsystems" necessarily, but they could let you qualify for other stuff.

stack
2019-08-07, 09:45 AM
Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might are directly accessible via feats. For magic, basic magic training gets you a single talent at minimal effectiveness, while advanced magic training gets you a caster level equal to a low-caster and gives you a few more spell points to play with. You can gain additional talents and spell points via feats. You won't be a wizard, but you can grab a few tricks this way.

Spheres of might doesn't give casting, but talents can be bought via feat at a 1:1 ratio, or you can trade in a bunch of feats for a progression.

Akasha is accessible via feats as well, you you will not be able to access the highest levels of essence investment or the most powerful binds.

heavyfuel
2019-08-07, 12:02 PM
You can get SLAs through feats (e.g. Arcane Talent) but I'm not aware of a way to get actual spellcasting.

That would be neat... Too bad about the race restriction, though.

It's less direct, but some scaling class features can be picked up in exchange for feats via VMC.

I didn't know what that was, so I googled it. Why would anyone want to do that? Half your feats for toned down class features? Like, Wizards and Cleric don't even grant spellcasting. Rogues only give Sneak Attack and Evasion at levels 7 and 11. That's such an absurdly bad alternate rule that I will never mention to any DM out of fear of having them implement it.

Edit: A single cantrip at level 11! Hahahahahahaha That has got to be a joke, right?

Psyren
2019-08-07, 01:38 PM
I didn't know what that was, so I googled it. Why would anyone want to do that? Half your feats for toned down class features? Like, Wizards and Cleric don't even grant spellcasting. Rogues only give Sneak Attack and Evasion at levels 7 and 11. That's such an absurdly bad alternate rule that I will never mention to any DM out of fear of having them implement it.

Edit: A single cantrip at level 11! Hahahahahahaha That has got to be a joke, right?

Some of them aren't too bad. For example:

- VMC Sorcerer is basically the full Eldritch Heritage feat chain without any Cha requirements.
- VMC Barbarian qualifies you for rage powers and grants uncanny dodge
- I agree with you on VMC Wizard's cantrip being silly, but the familiar (Valet archetype) and arcane discovery (e.g. Arcane Builder or Golem Constructor) are quite nice for a crafting build. (For the cantrip, pick Arcane Mark to sign your creations.)
- VMC Summoner gives you an Eidolon, which you can buff via Boon Companion.

Rogue, Oracle and Alchemist aren't too shabby either and can qualify you for various other things. Some are indeed garbage though like Fighter, Druid, and Monk.

TheGSE
2019-08-07, 06:57 PM
There are core subsystems, too. Combat Stamina, Skill Unlocks and Occult Skill Unlocks, anything giving a Ki pool lets you access Chakras. DSP also has feats allowing access to their Akashic Mysteries line, Radiance House has Amateur Pactmaker for their Pact Magic system, Interjection Games has a line of feats beginning with Voidkissed for Ethermagic, and the Ethermagic, Truenaming, and Composition magic classes all have VMCs.

Kris Moonhand
2019-08-09, 12:07 AM
anything giving a Ki pool lets you access Chakras.

Not quite. You need a ki pool and either have a level in an occult class (Psychic, Mesmerist, Occultist, Spiritualist, Medium, or Kineticist) or the Psychic Sensitivity feat.

StSword
2019-08-09, 03:27 AM
I know some subsystems, namely DSP's psionics and maneuvers, are available for characters by means of feats.

What about other subsystems? Specifically I'm looking for a way to cast spells through feats, but I also want to know about other things. Like akashic magic, for example. We don't play Spheres of Powers/Might, but feel free to point out these subsystems as well for the sake of completion

Thanks!

Knotty Works book Player Paraphernalia #98 Students of Lore and Magic, Optional Spell-Casting Rules has rules for any non caster to gain some spellcasting ability, different feat trees for divine, arcane, or nature flavored magic.

But most feats along those lines work as spell like abilities.

For example, have you heard of the iron caster fighter build (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G1oa8hQif08qqRdEyMnDVVFAoBN_53uhNcJc4wArQxs/edit)? It uses advanced weapon training and fighter feats to give a fighter a pool of spell like abilities they can cast.

Do you like runic magic? There are at least two rune magic systems I can think of that allow one to buy specific runes as feats- Deep Magic and the Genius Guide to feats of Runic Might series.