PDA

View Full Version : To all the Multiclassers out there...

Dessunri
2019-08-07, 09:35 AM
Do you find an RP reason to multiclass your character or is it purely a mechanic standpoint that you decide to take the dip into another class? I have always had fun single classing my characters unless an in-game moment made it reasonable for me to pick up another class. I've never sat down to plan out a character and thought 'ok, I'm going to dip into 'x-class' at this level for this feature/benefit.
Please note, I'm not shaming anyone or saying one way is better than the other, I'm just wanting to understand the view from the other players who enjoy multiclassing.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-07, 09:44 AM
Well, the class of your character is not your character.

You can be a paladin with the cleric class.

You can be a fighter with the rogue class.

You can be a samurai with the paladin class, with the cleric class, with the barbarian class and more.

The mechanic is there in order to let you do what you want.

The mechanic is not there to restrict you options.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-07, 09:46 AM
I treat the classes as bundles of mechanics and ignore most of the fluff. I like to create my own fluff. My characters don't go around saying they're a totem barbarian with two levels of rogue. They would say they are a warrior of the Uthnal clan who focus on guerrilla war. No need to find a rogue to train them, it's just a continuation of their increase in power.

Mulitclassing opens up infinite possibilities for creating new characters. I find it fun to come up with a concept and plan out the levels. Usually it's not to optimize (Sorcadin. Sorlock stuff) but more to make sure I don't fall too far behind. It's easy to be a very weak 5th level character if you've multi classed.

Some of the single class spell casters require just as much planning as multi class characters. Sorcerers can't change their spells except when they level up, and wizards can't change their spellbooks. I always plan out my spells by level when I make one of these.

Parra
2019-08-07, 09:51 AM
I just don't think of my characters as a class.

I get a concept/idea and build the character around that. Making it the best "concept/idea" I can make it.

In the current game Im playing my character is a Hexblade/Swordbard/Life Cleric, that came from an idea of a charming rogue-ish noble who only ever tries do good and help people but tends to let his mouth run too much then has to try and charm/fight his way out of the problem he made himself.

I chose that particular combination of classes to try and cut down on MAD, stacking as much as I could on charisma and as a result he sneaks pretty good, fights pretty good, charms/lies pretty good, fixes people up pretty good. All in all a valuable addition to the party in a wide variety of roles

But at no point did I think of the character as a collection of levels or felt he was defined by the classes I took.

malachi
2019-08-07, 09:53 AM
I've given an AT Rogue a Bladesinger Wizard dip, which feels like just focusing on a different aspect of my character's training (although at this point, I realize that the character might have been better explained as a Bladesinger Wizard dipping AT Rogue, but oh well). Given that he's a Noble, my intention was that the Rogue class didn't actually involve any 'thief' related things, but the DM had some strong class connections in his mind, so I kind of ended up being shoehorned into picking locks regardless...

CNagy
2019-08-07, 09:55 AM
It depends on the tone of the game. Ad hoc or pickup games, I'm more likely to get multiclass levels in response to what we're encountering in the game (or starting multiclassed in games that start higher than level 1 in order to have some bases covered), which would be an explicitly mechanics-based decision.

In a more serious game, I've planned out my character progression and I treat the end result as being essentially my "class" the same way a person playing a single-classed character would. Then, it would take something pretty significant to happen in play to get me to deviate from that plan, the same way I imagine a person playing a single-class might multiclass in response to roleplay events.

jdolch
2019-08-07, 09:56 AM
Both actually.
Of course it's mechanically beneficial. Maybe not even from a power point of view but just to get the options that you want. On the other hand, multiclassing can be extremely thematical and offer huge potential for RP.

e.g.
Sorcadin is mechanically a strong multiclass. But I also find that it offers great potential for roleplay.
I really like the combinations for light side and dark side:
- Devotion Paladin + Divine Soul Sorcerer vs.
- Conquest Paladin + Shadow Sorcerer (optional hexblade dip)

You could also do a mix and combine a Shadow Sorcerer with an Oath of Redemption.

Keravath
2019-08-07, 10:05 AM
Most of my characters have background elements that can lead to choosing a variety of classes later in their career. I find trying to limit multiclass choices to be based on some event happening during the play of the character to be much too limiting. In this case, you force the leveling system to impose constraints on the character you want to be by only allowing yourself to multiclass based on the very few events that happen during the generally fairly short time you are adventuring. This feels very unrealistic to me.

As an example, I have a character background where he was part of a cult as a child, they didn't think much of his abilities so he was trained with the rest of the children as guards or hunters. He was 12. However, they were naturally curious, and more open minded than the others who were well indoctrinated into the cult. He always explored and snuck around and tried to avoid the worst of the ceremonies since something in him rebelled against it. One time he was exploring an area that the priests and magic users of the cult reserved to themselves and came across a blackness trapped in a runic symbol on a floor. It seemed to call out to him for help but he ran in fear. However, it seemed to start appearing in his dreams promising to help him if he freed it. He visited a couple more times staring at it. It promised to unlock his inner power. He noticed that more runes were being added and a ceremony seemed to be prepared. The voice became more frantic and he decided to free it. He erased some of the runes which allowed the blackness to seep away. The creature touched his mind before leaving opening some vistas that were only half glimpsed before.

The character started out fighter 1. He then takes GOO warlock for a couple of levels and likely goes on to sorcerer though he may also take a level or two of rogue or wizard. All of these mechanical choices are tied to the back story and the events that formed the character but the leveling system is a bit of a chain and it shouldn't be used to constrain mutliclassing choices by limiting story elements driving such choices to within the leveling time frame of the character.

Amechra
2019-08-07, 10:43 AM
Well, the class of your character is not your character.

You can be a paladin with the cleric class.

You can be a fighter with the rogue class.

You can be a samurai with the paladin class, with the cleric class, with the barbarian class and more.

The mechanic is there in order to let you do what you want.

The mechanic is not there to restrict you options.

To elaborate, I'm currently playing a Dwarven Paladin who's a devout worshiper of Morradin. He has generally helped out the party by being a solid off-healer, supplying blessings against the undead, and having a large hammer.

The fact that he's actually a Celestial Patron bladelock is immaterial.

---

If I'm looking at multiclassing, it's usually because there's some sort of mechanical goody that fits my concept that I can't get by single-classing. This mostly happens when I'm building characters for fun rather than when I'm playing, but that's because all of the tables I've played at so far either didn't use multiclassing or had pretty strict limits on it.

I usually look at it for Monk - Strength-based Monks in particular really benefit from starting off with a level of Barbarian (so that you can use a Shield with your Unarmored Defense, making your AC less terrible). Heck, three levels of Battle-Master Fighter is just plain excellent for a Monk who's looking to be more of a technical fighter.

tieren
2019-08-07, 10:43 AM
I think there are different kinds of MCing too.

Sometimes the character actually shifts and starts doing things differently. Perhaps a fighter sees the light and becomes a cleric devoting his life to a new calling.

Sometimes the character is an amalgam of traits that don't fit too well in a single class and the combo best describes his nature (AT/wiz, and some others described up thread.

My personal favorite I wanted a ninja from an order that used arcane arts to increase their infiltration and general ninja abilities. Started Monk (shadow), but took Wizard (bladesinger) to 5 (Blink, blur, misty step, shield [things that don't need int or DC's]) . He wasn't a monk that became a wizard, he was a "shadow dancer" who studied arcane and martial traditions at the same time. I got him calligrapher's tools proficiency and would spend downtime studying and copying scrolls of ancient mastery he had inherited from his mentor. As he mastered a particular skill his class advanced. The scroll was mechanically "his spellbook" but he also studied it to learn new martial arts forms and techniques. there was no need to separate those two aspects of himself just because they came from different "classes".

InspectorG
2019-08-07, 10:52 AM
Depends on the table:

Hardcore single class only, no feats. Obviously not.

Min/Maxed tables, yes, with some Post Hoc justifications.
DM: "Why does your Draconic Sorcerer have a dip in Hexblade Warlock at lvl6?"
Player: "Eh...some Cosmic Weapon contacted char in a dream to make a deal because it liked how char handles magic."
DM:"...

... good enough."

RP tables, usually, the Edge-Lordiness shapes the multiclass.

Player: "Sir Rausler Von Hemmenbraucher, whose family fell from prominence during a civil war in which Rausler's father was in line for the throne of the dimensional fortress-kingdom that maintains planar order, Avalon Supreme, was killed and Rausler seeks revenge and in doing so teamed with a demonic mentor figure, Hex, who trained and awoken Rausler's talents as a Shadow Walking Sorcerer(with homebrew shadow abilities) while hiding from Rausler the fact that Hex is in fact a Fey Princess posing as a demon in order to lift the curse of her lover, and along the way Rausler won some training from a Paladin-General, DRacothraxx the Warden of the Imperium, in a poker match and became a Paladin Elect(with homebrew smites that were kept hidden by the order of Paladins) thus helping him start his already amazing journey at lvl1 to overthrow the evil king that killed his father and take back his birthright! Rausler was a half Vhuman and half demonic Tiefling that has homebrew Darkvision an 4 cantrips that use his CHA. He also has his family Heirloom, the Circlet of the Just, that allows him to regenerate 5 SP on a short rest. His great-great-great half Dragonborn Grandfather created this heirloom with the blood of a Queen Hag that he killed after defeating her curse. And when Rausler bleeds, it sparkles with demonic energy."
DM:"...yeah, sure, but put all that in writing. Double Spaced. Also, no run-ons."
Player:"whats a 'run-on'?"

NecessaryWeevil
2019-08-07, 11:51 AM
Imagine two players.

Player One imagines a character who's good at A,B and C.
Player Two imagines a character who's good at A,W and X.

Player One examines the rules and discovers "Oh, I need Fighter 1-20. Okay then."
Player Two examines the rules and discovers "Oh, I need Fighter 6, Druid 3 and Sorceror 11. Okay then."

Both players are doing exactly the same thing: Using the rules as written to play the character they imagine. One just happens to have to jump through a few more hoops to do so.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-07, 11:56 AM
Usually if I have a multiclass in mind I will simply ask the dm to give me reasons in world to multiclass. I haven't played much but i asked for my fighter to have a chance to interact with an archfey as I wanted to multi warlock and the DM gave me the chance and it went over great.

Agent-KI7KO
2019-08-07, 11:59 AM
I did Glamour / Archfey.

The Glamour features at some points mention fey magic and otherworldly beauty, so makes sense for someone from the Un/Seelie courts try to recruit you as a pawn.

Or if you went Archfey first, then you could say your Patron is modifying you to look more fairy-like.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-07, 12:15 PM
I'm currently playing a Zealot in SKT.

Outside of combat my character was making use of Wis 14 wisdom and survival Proficiency to track a lot.

At level 5 I found I decided to multi-class into Ranger. At the time we had just finished a long time underground. I'm going to choose Gloom Stalker at Ranger 3.

Gloom Stalker will give me some nice bonuses in the first round of combat that I can capitalize on using Reckless attack and GWM another attack that I can use -5/+10 on and more movement to get me into melee faster.

Did I multiclass for RP reasons, or for mechanical reasons?

Arcangel4774
2019-08-07, 12:20 PM
I would normally tend to follow the trend here, where the character concept is treated as the "class" while the actual classes used can be varied. However in games that tend to have unique and homebrewed items theres a decent chance id multi class to both take advantage of the items and have a story driven multiclass. Fighter gets some armor that has some darkness interaction? Theres a decent chance rogue, warlocks devil sight, shadow sorcerer, or gloom stalker may be in the future. Flavored by training to use the new armor for rogue or ranger, the armor being cursed by a being for warlock, or the interactions with the dark and magic of the armour awakening something within me for shadow sorcerer.

Dessunri
2019-08-07, 12:40 PM
Wow. Everyone has given me a lot to think about next time I create a character. I've always come at it as 'I'm choosing this play style and, unless something comes up that alters my play style, I'll finish in the class I chose'. I guess I've always had a view of multiclassing as "powergaming" or "munchkin-ing". This may stem from one of my first DMs talking about how much she hated multiclassing if it didn't have an RP reason behind it.
Additionally, I've been toying with multiclassing my Knowledge Cleric into something more martial simply because I found an Axe of Dwarvish Lords and, as the only Dwarf in the party, it was given to me. Thing is, my strength is at a 0 modifier so I'm not that great at hitting things. In fact, my backstory is that I spent my adolescence learning to brew beer and spending time in the library reading about the outside world beyond his mountain home. I'm trying to figure out how to "justify" multiclassing into a fighter or some other martial class and I'd need to increase my strength first via ASIs. I didn't originally envision my character as a guy who goes in and hits things but with this new tool maybe that could be a viable path.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-07, 12:44 PM
Wow. Everyone has given me a lot to think about next time I create a character. I've always come at it as 'I'm choosing this play style and, unless something comes up that alters my play style, I'll finish in the class I chose'. I guess I've always had a view of multiclassing as "powergaming" or "munchkin-ing". This may stem from one of my first DMs talking about how much she hated multiclassing if it didn't have an RP reason behind it.
Additionally, I've been toying with multiclassing my Knowledge Cleric into something more martial simply because I found an Axe of Dwarvish Lords and, as the only Dwarf in the party, it was given to me. Thing is, my strength is at a 0 modifier so I'm not that great at hitting things. In fact, my backstory is that I spent my adolescence learning to brew beer and spending time in the library reading about the outside world beyond his mountain home. I'm trying to figure out how to "justify" multiclassing into a fighter or some other martial class and I'd need to increase my strength first via ASIs. I didn't originally envision my character as a guy who goes in and hits things but with this new tool maybe that could be a viable path.

If your Dex is 13 or above you can multiclass into Fighter. If you find Gauntlets of Ogre Power, or a belt of Giant Strength you wouldn't need to spend any ASIs either.

Dessunri
2019-08-07, 12:58 PM
If your Dex is 13 or above you can multiclass into Fighter. If you find Gauntlets of Ogre Power, or a belt of Giant Strength you wouldn't need to spend any ASIs either.

Oh your're right! I forgot that to multiclass fighter you can use strength or dex. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll think about it for a minute and decide if that's what I want to do. I suppose I'd still be a Cleric just with some extra martial prowess to use my new axe. Additionally, I wasn't sure if an increase to an ability score via a magic item allowed you to multiclass because what happens if you lose that item?

AHF
2019-08-07, 01:06 PM
Oh your're right! I forgot that to multiclass fighter you can use strength or dex. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll think about it for a minute and decide if that's what I want to do. I suppose I'd still be a Cleric just with some extra martial prowess to use my new axe. Additionally, I wasn't sure if an increase to an ability score via a magic item allowed you to multiclass because what happens if you lose that item?

It doesn’t open multiclassing but would remove the need to raise ASIs to improve your bonus to hit and damage.

Eldritch Knight would also let you keep adding spells slots for your cleric spells.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 01:14 PM
Player: "Sir Rausler...(snip) And when Rausler bleeds, it sparkles with demonic energy."
DM:"...yeah, sure, but put all that in writing. Double Spaced. Also, no run-ons."
Player:"whats a 'run-on'?" That got a RL cackle out of me. :smallbiggrin:

My best MC was thematic. (I generally prefer to single class). Oath of Ancient's Paladin with some Fey Warlock. Sprite Familiar, pact of the Chain. He started as a Paladin, and then he got the call. Our campaign stopped at level 9, and I'll say that he was fun to play.

darknite
2019-08-07, 02:23 PM
First off, RP is secondary to my overall enjoyment of the game. D&D isn't method acting or some collaborative storytelling exercise that suborns all other things in my view. It's a game that I have fun playing. That said, I do like having good RP handles for why my character exists, where they came from and what brought them to their current place. I don't require that from my players beyond a couple of brush strokes if they don't want to, and I don't pester other players about their backstories, motivations and existential beliefs. If it comes together, great, if not, well let's have a good game, shall we?

Spo
2019-08-07, 02:55 PM
Out of the dozen characters I have made, I have only multiclassed twice. First one is a ranger/hunter with a rogue/scout. It is a combo that fits well concept-wise and an very happy with. My second one is a fighter with a barbarian. This was done for the mechanics I wanted. Very effective play-wise. I find myself playing the former more, however, because I get more immersion playing that character.

One multiclass combo I always see being made is paladin/warlock and sorcerer/warlock. I've stopped asking those players about their character's background because their responses are just numbers and stats. If I am at a table with optimizers like these, I just bring out my fighter/barbarian and enjoy the paper video game.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-07, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to "justify" multiclassing into a fighter or some other martial class and I'd need to increase my strength first via ASIs. I didn't originally envision my character as a guy who goes in and hits things but with this new tool maybe that could be a viable path.

You could ask nicely if you could take magic initiate druid so you could then track with your wisdom. Obviously you can't use an axe with it but your dm may consider that to be a fun way to let you utilize this cool item. Never hurts to ask.

Dessunri
2019-08-07, 03:03 PM
Out of the dozen characters I have made, I have only multiclassed twice. First one is a ranger/hunter with a rogue/scout. It is a combo that fits well concept-wise and an very happy with. My second one is a fighter with a barbarian. This was done for the mechanics I wanted. Very effective play-wise. I find myself playing the former more, however, because I get more immersion playing that character.

One multiclass combo I always see being made is paladin/warlock and sorcerer/warlock. I've stopped asking those players about their character's background because their responses are just numbers and stats. If I am at a table with optimizers like these, I just bring out my fighter/barbarian and enjoy the paper video game.

I guess that's part of my concern about multiclassing too, the powergamers. I play a weekly game with the same group of guys so it's really not an issue there; but, when I play AL at the local game shop or attend conventions to play there's always one or two people at the table who just does it for the numbers. And I get it, D&D, and all other TTRPGs for that matter, draw people in for different reasons. For me it's the collaborative story telling, the escapism, and the RP. Combat is fun too as the game would get boring real quick without it but some of the most memorable sessions I've had with my core group were sessions where there was little to no combat and we just interacted with the world. But I know there are others out there who view RP as the dirty part of D&D that happens between caving in the orc's skull. I suppose that's the beauty of the game we all enjoy.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 03:03 PM
Out of the dozen characters I have made, I have only multiclassed twice. First one is a ranger/hunter with a rogue/scout. My nephew is playing one of these. Very effective. :smallcool:

samcifer
2019-08-07, 03:23 PM
For me, it's about gaining more features or access to different spells. My group never plays all the way through, so there's little point on leveling up to high levels in a single class. I'd rather play a sorlock rather than either a pure sorc who would have low defenses and HP or a pure warlock and get 3 spell slots per rest if I'm lucky enough to make it to level 11.

There's just no point in staying with a single class and it's boring to me to play a single class-character.

Reevh
2019-08-07, 04:03 PM
The only time I've multiclassed, it was due to an in-game thing. My table was relatively new to 5E and it was the first time any of us died in a fight. The rest of my party immediately revivified me, which as a player felt like it took away from the intensity of the moment. Like, it was a big thing for me when my first character died, and it felt like bringing him back to life immediately diminished that moment.

Regardless, I was alive again, and about to level up, so I decided that my character was reluctant to come back from the death, and only did so at the command of the Raven Queen. At that moment, he multiclassed into Hexblade Warlock. I didn't know that much about Hexblades at the time, but let me tell you that an 11 Arcane Trickster / 3 Hexblade is a pretty damn potent combo, especially since I was also an elf with Elven Accuracy. I didn't set out to powergame the character, but I ended up with a 22 AC, the ability to cast Shield, a Shadowblade that had advantage most of the time (moreso with elven accuracy), and Hexblade's Curse. With Hexblade's Curse up, I had a 29% chance to crit and a tiny chance to miss, so I dropped the offhand entirely and picked up a shield (since Hexblades are proficient, part of how I got to 22 AC). Against cursed enemies, I did 2d8+6+6d6 damage and crit almost a third of the time, while having up to 27 AC, uncanny dodge, evasion, 45 ft of movement, cunning action, the ability to mirror image or blur... It got to be absurd, and I didn't even plan it that way.

sithlordnergal
2019-08-07, 04:15 PM
Ehh, I am half and half. I have some characters that multiclass due to RP reasons. One such character is a Paladin/Druid/Sorcerer, who came from a family of Druids, her mother is a dragon, and she joined an order of Paladins at an early age.

But at the same time I have some characters that are nothing more then experiments. Jack would be a good example of this. I made him with the rules that he must be AL legal, effective, and can only take 4 levels in a class. He doesn't have a reason for it, he is just an experiment to see how it works at all tiers of play.

DeadMech
2019-08-07, 04:58 PM
I play single class characters most of the time. Not out of some puritanical belief that I'm better than the munchkins and powergamers. It's just a typically lazier. The once time I did it the campaign started at a high enough level that I could begin play multiclassed.

But if a single class does not reflect the abilities and talents that I want my character to possess or that they should realistically have given their background and goals I wouldn't hesitate to do what I had to in order to fix that.

Laserlight
2019-08-07, 05:42 PM
In the first campaign I ran, the characters all started as martial. When they went to the New World and found that magic was real and gods and demons were manifesting, the rogue had a religious experience and took vows as a paladin. He wasn't planning that, but there was a specific event that flipped him over to the new class.

On the other hand, the Exalted Countess Heavenly Feather didn't have any change in her course; if it were possible, she'd have been a tempest cleric / storm sorc / bard from day one, and the fact that she couldn't do that all at once is an artifact of the system rather than the character concept.

Evaar
2019-08-07, 06:14 PM
When my Bladesinger started with 1 level in Fighter, then swapped over to Wizard, I didn't describe it as anything other than part of his training. He had to learn the fighting before he could learn to incorporate magic into it.

Sure, some schools teach the magic first, then the swordplay. But his particular teacher had more of a focus on the combat aspect.

He didn't think of himself as multiclassed. It was all one path.

OldTrees1
2019-08-07, 07:18 PM
For me,

Character concept precedes character class. Therefore some character concepts require multiclassing (or even homebrewing) in order to instantiate that character concept to a high degree of fidelity.

As an example: I am currently playing a character whose profession is guiding tour groups through dungeons in relative safety. It is unsurprising that this "rogue" dabbled in more than just the Arcane arts. The proactive defenses of the Divine arts were essential for this profession.

Agent-KI7KO
2019-08-07, 08:14 PM

Make no mistake, Glamour and Archfey might be very thematic but that 2 level dip gets me a lot of power/utility.

Akal Saris
2019-08-07, 08:17 PM
I love creating characters for fun, so when I play in a game I usually have a few concepts bouncing around in my head. So, as far back as I can remember, I've always had a plan for the character, even if sometimes it changes in actual play. I do try to make characters that fit within the game world, so I tend to tone down the character optimization part of the character creation to fit the right flavor.

Keravath
2019-08-07, 08:27 PM

If your charisma is higher than dex or str you could consider a MC into hexblade. The desire to use this magnificent weapon you found which is ill-suited to your abilities drove you to find a way to wield it no matter the cost ... so you make a pact with the queen of sentient weapons to enable you to wield the axe the way it was meant to be wielded. Works if your charisma is 14+. The other option would be a strength magic item.

Eldoxar
2019-08-08, 07:02 AM
Starting from afar, my view is that adventurers in a fantasy roleplaying game should be interesting and unique – at least most of them. The impression you make to your friends through your character is fun. 5 people using different elements of the game can entertain you way more than only 1 called the DM.

Personally when I started D&D 5E its simplicity was a bad experience for me: in the first combat when I used Sneak Attack everybody knew what I am, and nobody was interested in my character anymore. I was just a Rogue, and nothing more. Everybody knew everything about my character which mattered in the game. It annoyed me so much that I stopped playing 5E, for a while.

Multiclassing was the thing that brought me back – and I am playing D&D 5E exclusively ever since. It provided me the depth into the game I desired, and made my playmates confused of what my character is – and who my character is. And it was relieving.

Am I a theroycrafter who plans his characters' levels before even starting playing it? Yes, I am. Simply because I am a maximalist, and I like playing such characters who want to be the best in what they do. You can imagine the most skilled Assassin ever lived, who defeats everyone in a duel. Yet you will get Extra attack only if you go 5 levels in another class. Then I tailor the backstory, and the long-term desires of my characters carefully. I put all what is necessary and construct a realistic person, whose road will likely be the one I theorycrafted.

Âmesang
2019-08-08, 08:09 AM
Only time I can recall multiclassing was with a drow antipaladin/assassin in an attempt to recreate the feel of the 1e antipaladin/3e blackguard; heck, I think the only reason I was playing a drow was 'cause Storm King's Thunder made me think of Against the Giants so I used the latter as the basis for the character's backstory/motivation (Faerûnian drow raising a giant army akin to their Flanaess cousins).

Grim Portent
2019-08-08, 10:12 AM
Multiclassing is the easiest way to achieve most of my character concepts. For example, I wanted to play a lizardfolk shaman type character, but none of the cleric domains suited, celestial warlock came close but I wanted to be focused on my natural bite attack rather than weapons and use most of my magic for support and healing, so bladelock wasn't much help for getting more attacks.

Wound up dipping into monk for the martial arts BA attack and grabbing the Athletics UA skill feat. The character mostly uses magic to heal people, talk to animals, climb walls and so on and mostly fights by grappling people, pinning them to the ground and mauling them. Grappled an enemy while spiderclimbing on a wall and then dragged him onto a rooftop to finish him off alone one time. Felt awesome and would have been really awkward to do without both feats and multiclassing.

Also made an elven wizard for a one-shot themed around the bladedancer from Heroes 5. Stats didn't really work out properly so he had to wear some armour despite his barbarian levels, but with the Elk totem, Bladesinging and Expeditious Retreat he could run blisteringly fast, with Jump and Spider Climb he could perform acrobatic feats that were otherwise not practical. Would have been stronger as a straight Bladesinger, but I felt the barbarian levels suited the concept even though it didn't add much.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-08-08, 11:38 AM
Most of my characters have background elements that can lead to choosing a variety of classes later in their career. I find trying to limit multiclass choices to be based on some event happening during the play of the character to be much too limiting. In this case, you force the leveling system to impose constraints on the character you want to be by only allowing yourself to multiclass based on the very few events that happen during the generally fairly short time you are adventuring. This feels very unrealistic to me.

I 100% agree with this. I don't mind single classes, and I've played and enjoyed them. But I also don't like the idea that I would need some sort of event (often outside of my control as a PC) in order to justify learning something from another class.

I typically chase a concept of a character that comes to me and seems fun, so it may or may not need multiclassing.

-A swashbuckling gentleman pirate who fights barefoot and shocks enemies with his speed and finesse as he taunts them in a fight. Naturally I went with Swashbuckler/Order of Shadow Monk.

-A Halfling raised by panthers (basically Mowgli, I know). I just went full Beast Master to level 20 (it was an accelerated campaign focused on combat).

-A curious, highly intelligent deep gnome who has moved to the surface to expand his renowned fashion brand. A Wizard seemed like a logical choice for protecting himself in the wild. I considered multiclassing when he had some huge character developing moments in the campaign, but it ended up not making as much sense. Mechanically it would've been good, but it didn't fit the character.

alchahest
2019-08-08, 06:02 PM
class is mechanics - wrapped in those mechanics is the balance / cost paid for the things you'd like to do.
Character is pure roleplay.

I like to build characters. mechanics simply represent the things I envision my character being able to do (or being capable of doing at a later time) changing classes, selecting subclass, feats, spells, etc simply enrich the mechanical side of things to allow the creative side of things to interact meaningfully with the game.

Nagog
2019-08-08, 06:16 PM
Multiclassing for me is usually less of a big transition in-character than you'd expect. For example, a Battle Master Fighter that has their maneuvers chosen/reskined as fighting dirty may pick up a level or two of rogue to compliment their fighting style without changing too much. A Hexblade may pick up some Paladin to further their martial prowess without needing a narrative refocus, and the added levels act the same as added levels in their base class. The only thing I can think of that may cause a splash is crossing from full caster to full martial and vice versa, and even then it's subjective to playstyle shifts.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-08-08, 06:46 PM
Seems like people have a problem in principle with multiclassing to the extent that they assume classes have some real (in-the-game-world) existence.