PDA

View Full Version : CoPTS: I'm confused (marketing)

AKA_Bait
2007-10-11, 09:33 AM
Ok, yes, it's another thread about the recent WotC publication Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/215407400) I bought the book yesterday, after having to order it since none of the local bookstores near me had a copy in stock. I'm around 1/2 way through it, but enough to be utterly confused as to the aim of the book. I thought I knew what to expect, I was wrong.

Here were my expectations:

1. Marketing tool attempting to increase the female base of Dungeons and Dragons.

2. Aimed at: A. Gamer girls who don't play D&D but do play, say, WoW or go to Renn Fairs, B. Signifigant others of those who play D&D (mainly female), C. Girls totally outside of the normal gaming demographic who might pick up the book, read it, and have an interest in the game sparked.

From what I can tell, it's trying to be all thee at once, and consequentially, failing at it's task. The content of the book is a handbook but the writing style is more narritive, which would be fine if it weren't for the frequent, many page long breaks to explain game mechanics. This seems like a strategy that is going to tick off groups A & B for not explaining enough (you don't need to spend 6 pages dispelling myths about gamers to someone married to or dating a gamer or who plays WoW themselves) and group C for breaking the narrative they have become slightly interested in with boring bits about 'classes' before the author has endeared herself to the reader.

The book is peppered with dated pop culture refrences (dated to me and I'm only 26) which also speaks to aiming at a demographic my age or older. Is that really the demographic WotC was shooting for? It has countless references to shopping and fashion, I know very few female gamers that care about that enough to get the jokes and from my experience the wives and gf's of gamers I know tend to be the same soft of people (otherwise why would they date the fashion handicapped like myself? I mean, I wear bowties. Of my own free will.) to whom fashion and shopping are unimportant and only a means to acquire goods respectivley.

This leads me to think that the demographic they were aiming at is C. The random girl who sees the book, which has a good title I must admit, and picks it up. The cover art is good and seems aimed in that direction as well. However, if thats the demographic, not only is the book in a style that's a bit rules-first (which is wrong for that demographic) but the distribution is all wrong.

I mentioned above that I had to order a copy of the book because none of the local bookstores around me had a copy in stock. To make the impact of that clearer, let me tell you that I work in Midtown Manhattan. There are no less than 9 bookstores within a 15 block radius of me. I had to order it. If the demographic is women who don't know the book exists but will pick it up and get interested in the game then it might, I don't know, pay to have some copies visible in stores in the highest density book purchasing ten square miles in America.

Also, if you looked at the link above, you have seen the cover art. It's not bad. The picture on the webpage is also not totally accurate. They left off the very large print Dungeons & Dragons sitting at the bottom of the front cover. A sure fire way to keep precisley the consumer that they were hoping to win over from picking up the book, if by some miracle they find it.

So, I'm confused. In the past WotC's marketing and consumer control folks have been spectaular in terms of grabbing interest and expanding their player base. I'm surprised that this attempt at it is so, well, bad. Is the WotC D&D marketing department really this inept all of a sudden? Is there a strategy in here I'm not seeing? One that plans on not selling books increasing the player base perhaps? Can someone explain this to me?

A few requests:
1. This is not intended to be a thread about how 'Wizards is mysoginist' or 'Wizards is against free speech' or any such thing. It's about their marketing strategy. There have been plenty of threads bashing them on those accounts already.

2. Please have an opinion based upon expereince with the book itself. Having leafed through the thing at least, rather than looking at the picture and saying 'dis sux!'

That said, back to 'huh? What's the deal here?'

Kurald Galain
2007-10-11, 09:48 AM
That said, back to 'huh? What's the deal here?'

The deal is probably that this book was authorized and pushed by the marketing department (that or the proverbial CEO's wife or daughter) who is relatively clueless about the whole "RPG" deal. It's probably written from a "wouldn't it be cool if..." perspective, rather than planned ahead.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-11, 09:53 AM
The deal is probably that this book was authorized and pushed by the marketing department (that or the proverbial CEO's wife or daughter) who is relatively clueless about the whole "RPG" deal. It's probably written from a "wouldn't it be cool if..." perspective, rather than planned ahead.

...which, honestly, seems to be WotC's main publication strategy. "Hey, this is awesome! Print fifty million copies."

StickMan
2007-10-11, 10:01 AM
I bought the book for my Girlfriend AKA: Ladyofthestick on this board. I've kind of dragged her in to gaming and playing DND. Thanks to the few times she has played, my ranting, and the fact she is a big OOTS fan she under stands the game ok but some of the finer points still trip her up.

She has loved the book so far. She is not done with it yet I should note, but she so far has actually liked it a lot. I get the feeling it does not work for everyone and I don't actually think it will work for most female gamers, but she loves the book and its helping her learn the finner points of the game, that I have failed to explain well.

She has said that she will post a review when she finishes the book may be awhile cause we have exams right now and her course load is heavy.

OK so I've read some of it to and I've found it funny

AKA_Bait
2007-10-11, 10:04 AM
...which, honestly, seems to be WotC's main publication strategy. "Hey, this is awesome! Print fifty million copies."

And that's a perfectly reasonable strategy... when you have an established demographic who have already financially committed to buying someplace bettween 3 and 15 books and have a pattern of brand loyalty. I'll at least take a flip through a new WotC splat book that I see in a store, although probably not buy it.

What really confuses me is that the cover art and type of book (trade paperback) isn't consistant with the spending patters of their existing demographic. If I didn't know what this book was ahead of time, I wouldn't have even looked at it, although if I saw 'Complete Toadstools' withthe usual WotC adornments I'd probably even give that a glance. So, it seems like it can't just be a case of 'new thing, rush to publish!'

Not that they didn't rush to publish, there are editing problems too (not typos but in referencing things that would confuse a reader who didn't already play).

It seems like they took the time to decide they were going to market it differently and then made a startling number of bad decisios along the way. Kurald Galain might be right that it was a pet project of their marketing department but if so, heads ought to roll in that department.

She has loved the book so far. She is not done with it yet I should note, but she so far has actually liked it a lot. I get the feeling it does not work for everyone and I don't actually think it will work for most female gamers, but she loves the book and its helping her learn the finner points of the game, that I have failed to explain well.

OK so I've read some of it to and I've found it funny

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book and is quite funny at points. I just think it's marketing is very, very poor and not likley to increase their female demographic. Certianly, some gamer guys will by this book, probably more will than girls, and give them to signifigant others who they have already gotten into gaming or who already have an interest, like reading oots. Mostle probably both. That seems like a painfully small market for as big a push as they seem to have given this thing and a good half of that market of readers is already part of their player base and the majority of the purchasers already are.

OX166
2007-10-11, 03:14 PM
My girlfriend is not a gamer. Though I want her to be so bad. She's more worried about our curtains. And although reading the book is making her interested in the humor and comradere in DnD she's still aprehensive to play. What I have noticed, is her understanding of my desire to play. And that is invaluable. Rather than having a game she sees no value in ,(she doesn't even play video games), she sees it's important to me. I havn't erad the book myself yet but when I do I'll pass judement on it's marketing. As a testimonial, it has enhanced my relationship.

Person_Man
2007-10-11, 03:51 PM
I think the one female gamer who works at WotC pitched this idea during a staff meeting. The 99 male gamers in the room didn't want to seem sexist because of liberal guilt, or were too busy staring at her chest to listen to what she was actually saying, and so they agreed to let her write it. The female gamer wrote the book, and put in every idea she ever had, knowing that this would be the only book she would ever be allowed to write on her alone that WotC would ever publish. WotC has no editing process, so it was then forwarded to the layout people, who added some fantasy clip art that they downloaded from the internet, and then sent it to the production staff. The production staff looked at the number of Amazon pre-orders for the book, which was 2. Based on this level of demand, they printed 1,000 copies. 42 of these were purchased, and the rest are still sitting in a warehouse in Nebraska.

AKA_Bait
2007-10-11, 04:09 PM
I think the one female gamer who works at WotC pitched this idea during a staff meeting. The 99 male gamers in the room didn't want to seem sexist because of liberal guilt, or were too busy staring at her chest to listen to what she was actually saying, and so they agreed to let her write it. The female gamer wrote the book, and put in every idea she ever had, knowing that this would be the only book she would ever be allowed to write on her alone that WotC would ever publish. WotC has no editing process, so it was then forwarded to the layout people, who added some fantasy clip art that they downloaded from the internet, and then sent it to the production staff. The production staff looked at the number of Amazon pre-orders for the book, which was 2. Based on this level of demand, they printed 1,000 copies. 42 of these were purchased, and the rest are still sitting in a warehouse in Nebraska.

Now now... there aren't 100 people in a WotC staff meeting...

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-10-11, 04:23 PM
... I mean, I wear bowties. Of my own free will ...

Bowties? Of your own free will? Somehow, I always knew you were Chaotic Evil.

I've still yet to pick up a copy, but I want to inflict it upon my gaming friends who happen to be women, just to see what they think. I suspect they'll be entirely different responses, as they react differently to things in the gaming world. For example, one throws a fit at illustrations of scantily-clad female adventurers, while the other thinks it'd be cool to play a character like that. So I want to see what they think. Call it a science experiment.