PDA

View Full Version : Can sunder be useful against monks?

Vrock Bait
2019-08-07, 11:57 AM
So, I was re-reading the sunder rules, before I realized that the monk’s unarmed strike can be sundered, i.e. breaking his hand. I’m guessing it would count as a hafted one-handed weapon(on a bone haft, aka your ulna and radius. Two handed if using Hammer Fist, I guess. You might say that sunder needs a manafactured weapon, but the monk’s unarmed strike counts as both a natural weapon and manafactured weapon. The monk’s unarmed strike description actually states that they can use elbows knees and feet as well, but I’d just sunder their femur and humerus. It isn’t supported in the rules, but I’m pretty sure a reasonable DM might allow that sundering the femur would be like tripping someone. Anything wrong with my analysis?

The Viscount
2019-08-07, 12:05 PM
First sentence of sunder is

You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.
You cannot hold an unarmed strike. Rules compendium updates it to just "object", and unarmed strikes are not objects.

The statement about monk's unarmed strikes being like manufactured weapon comes from this statement

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
Sundering would not enhance or improve the unarmed strike, so it's not legal.

If you want to hurt a monk's hands, consider the variant wounding rules from unearthed arcana. As you mentioned, a monk can make unarmed strikes with any part of their body, so you can't prevent them from making the strikes.

Zaq
2019-08-07, 12:07 PM
You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.

A monk isn’t holding their unarmed strike. Nor are they carrying or wearing it. Also it isn’t an item.

Psyren
2019-08-07, 02:00 PM
In PF you can sunder any held or worn object, so as long as the monk isn't naked they should have something you can hit for some kind of benefit, e.g. taking out their amulet of mighty fists, belt of physical perfection, or bracers of armor. But Unarmed Strike specifically is a no.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-07, 02:12 PM
Anything wrong with my analysis?

As others have pointed out, basically everything. But in addition:

The monk's unarmed strike can be made with any part of their body. So what, exactly, are you subjecting to your attack? If you insist you're attacking their whole body, well, that's no different from a regular attack made to deal HP damage. If you want to target specific limbs, then you'll have to use rules other than Sunder, and there aren't any that I'm aware of that allow you to cripple limbs.

Thurbane
2019-08-07, 05:32 PM
If I Hydra has Monk levels, and is flurrying with its head(s), you can sunder those! :smalltongue:

Malphegor
2019-08-08, 04:55 AM
If I Hydra has Monk levels, and is flurrying with its head(s), you can sunder those! :smalltongue:

The mental image of the Hydra from Disney's Hercules dressed in a karate gi somehow morphed to fit its body doing katas is now burnt into my mind forever.

Calthropstu
2019-08-08, 08:29 PM
The mental image of the Hydra from Disney's Hercules dressed in a karate gi somehow morphed to fit its body doing katas is now burnt into my mind forever.

This needs to be a thing.

Mato
2019-08-09, 09:32 AM
This needs to be a thing.And not just any kata, but gun kata.
https://media.giphy.com/media/yx9N89cpL1shG/giphy.gif

Manyasone
2019-08-09, 10:59 AM
And not just any kata, but gun kata.
https://media.giphy.com/media/yx9N89cpL1shG/giphy.gif

awesome movie, highly underrated and under appreciated