View Full Version : Player Help Dragon wants to use Power of the True Form all day....ways to achieve that?

GrayDeath
2019-08-07, 12:51 PM
Please rate them in Cheese Levels, from a young Gouda to mature Stilton, if it comes up. ;)

So far I have come up with:

Spend all your First Level Spells/Day on it. COmes only up to an hour and a half or so (assuming a CR 18 Dragon except Steel Dragon with less than CL 11 that is).

Buy a lesser Rod of Persist SPell. Which is incredibly expensive. is there one that only allows to persist Level 1 Spells? Or a recipie that only allows to persist one SPECIFIC Spell?

GrayDeath
2019-08-07, 12:58 PM
Sorry, opened the thread in the wrong Forum, please move this to the 3.5 Subforum? Thank you!

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-07, 02:07 PM
Custom magic item?

Rebel7284
2019-08-07, 02:38 PM
There is no rod of persist spell. At least in the printed material. It would have to be a custom magic item. There are a bunch of ways to apply metamagic for free, some of it involves prestige classes, but even if you don't have space for those, you can do it with the use magic device skill and schema of artificer infusions.

Silvercrys
2019-08-07, 02:40 PM
Assuming this is an adult dragon, is there a reason the dragon can't just take Extend Spell and Persistent Spell as feats from Hit Dice and and cast Persistent Power of the True Form from a 7th level spell slot?

Oh, you said CR18 so a Very Old Black Dragon (example) only has a CL of 9th.

A continuous item of a 1st level spell only costs 2000gp by the item creation guidelines, it's widely acknowledged to be far too cheap in a lot of cases though.

Troacctid
2019-08-07, 03:03 PM
Take the following feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Channel Charge. Max ranks in UMD. Buy a wand of strength of the true form and a minor schema of metamagic item. Make a UMD check to activate the schema, adding the effects of Persistent Spell to your wand. Then activate the wand. Repeat every day. Channel Charge means the wand will never run out of charges.

For bonus points, cast dragoneye rune on your items so you can find them again if some meddling adventurer burgles your hoard.

GrayDeath
2019-08-07, 04:13 PM
Take the following feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Channel Charge. Max ranks in UMD. Buy a wand of strength of the true form and a minor schema of metamagic item. Make a UMD check to activate the schema, adding the effects of Persistent Spell to your wand. Then activate the wand. Repeat every day. Channel Charge means the wand will never run out of charges.

For bonus points, cast dragoneye rune on your items so you can find them again if some meddling adventurer burgles your hoard.

Thank you, almost exaclty what I was looking for.
Low cheese content solution logged in.

Now if someone finds one that saves a stepof complexity compared to this I`d be exstatic, but this is more than sufficient.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-07, 04:42 PM
What dragon, specifically, is this for?

Anthrowhale
2019-08-07, 06:13 PM
More feat intensive but less item intensive, you could take:

Polymorph[Tome Dragon (Dragon #343)]+Assume Supernatural Ability(SS)
Easy Metamagic[Persistent Spell] (Dragon#325)
Versatile Spellcaster (RotD)
Practical Metamagic (RotD)
Metamagic School Focus[Transformation] (CM)

To cast it as a persistent spell using 2 level 1 slots. If you have higher level slots, then less mitigation is required.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-08, 02:12 AM

To cast it as a persistent spell using 2 level 1 slots. If you have higher level slots, then less mitigation is required.

Polymorph isn't a valid subject of Persist metamagic?

Do Tome Dragons grant 2 levels of metamagic reduction?

Anthrowhale
2019-08-08, 06:12 AM
Polymorph isn't a valid subject of Persist metamagic?
Fortunately, you don't need that.

Do Tome Dragons grant 2 levels of metamagic reduction?
Yes, at 15HD.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-08, 07:01 AM
Ah right, I misunderstood your list. So you could start doing this trick from caster level 15.

Anthrowhale
2019-08-08, 07:10 AM
Ah right, I misunderstood your list. So you could start doing this trick from caster level 15.

It's a bit of a tradeoff. At caster level 15, you use 2 1st level slots. At caster level 9, you use 2 2nd level slots (Tome Dragon only gives 1 free metamagic). At caster level 5, you could use Alter Self + 2 2nd level slots. All of this is dependent on having enough feats with the number of feats available at a given caster level highly dependent on the dragon.

GrayDeath
2019-08-08, 08:18 AM

Hmmm, spending at least half the feats on one, granted important for the concept but not very powerful, Ability.....hmmmm

What dragon, specifically, is this for?

A Very Old Blue Dragon. So he only has CL 11, which makes regular Persistence impossible, hence my dilemma.

Anthrowhale
2019-08-08, 08:28 AM
A Very Old Blue Dragon. So he only has CL 11, which makes regular Persistence impossible, hence my dilemma.

Caster level 11 makes things relatively easy. You can just use Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Versatile Spellcaster, and Practical Metamagic[Persistent Spell] with 2 5th level slots.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-08, 08:37 AM

Well, you're going to have to burn two feats on Extend Spell and Persistent Spell. So there's 2 feats. Then, I think, the easiest way is to just use Practical Metamagic (persistent spell) (3 feats) and Arcane Thesis (Power of True Form) (4 feats) and just cast it out of level 5 spell slots. Thats's the most simple way to do it. That only takes one of your 4 spell slots, and that's assuming your dragon doesn't get any bonus spells for high charisma.

Additionally, you could apply the Loredrake Template (I think it's a template... archetype? I dunno what it is because I don't have the book ATM) to drop your HD from d12s to d10s in exchange for two additional levels of sorcerer spellcasting (bringing you up to CL13) and some other stuffs, which could let you cut down on one of those feats (probably arcane thesis because practical metamagic applies to the metamagic feat rather than the spell). Or you could keep the

Saintheart
2019-08-08, 10:17 PM
If Forgotten Realms options are open to you, go buy a permanent rune of Strength of the True Form. Every time you touch it as a standard action, the spell fires again, no limits, no uses per day, every time.

The market price of that rune would be 2,000: 1 [spell level] x 1 [CL] x 2,000. It would be made by a Sorcerer 1/Cleric 5/Runecaster 8 who has Alternative Source Spell from Dragon (or Southern Magician from Shining South, in a more orthodox world). Alternatively, a Cleric 5/Runecaster 8 with the Spell domain and therefore Anyspell). If the maker has DMM Persist Spell and Extend Spell, the rune's price does not increase one iota. Bam, permanent use of Strength of the True Form all day, renewable at a touch.