PDA

View Full Version : Burning Hands without caster multiclass

stewstew5
2019-08-07, 02:22 PM
How can I cast a spell, like burning hands, 1-2 times per day without multiclassing? Is there a feat or something of the sort, or a suplemental class mod or something? I’d rather not prestige class but I’d prefer it to multiclassing.
For context, my character is a fighter(2) who roamed through *cough*not china*cough* and the world, training under different masters. One of such masters was a dragon spirit who he only trained under for a short while, but is still practicing the techniques he was taught and will eventually master them, at which point in his character arch I will take this option

Troacctid
2019-08-07, 02:49 PM
Aberrant Dragonmark lets you use it as a spell-like ability. You can upgrade the mark with additional feats to add scorching ray and flame strike or fire shield to it as well.

Martial Study (Desert Wind) doesn't give you exactly burning hands, but it can give you several related techniques that allow you to produce fire damage with martial arts. It can be taken up to 3 times, gaining a new 1/encounter ability each time (with the abilities available being based on your level), and it's a fighter bonus feat. Martial Stance (Desert Wind) is a related feat.

stewstew5
2019-08-07, 03:02 PM
Aberrant Dragonmark lets you use it as a spell-like ability. You can upgrade the mark with additional feats to add scorching ray and flame strike or fire shield to it as well.

Martial Study (Desert Wind) doesn't give you exactly burning hands, but it can give you several related techniques that allow you to produce fire damage with martial arts. It can be taken up to 3 times, gaining a new 1/encounter ability each time (with the abilities available being based on your level), and it's a fighter bonus feat. Martial Stance (Desert Wind) is a related feat.

I can’t find a 3.5 source for dragonmarks, can you link one? Otherwise cool ideas

Troacctid
2019-08-07, 03:05 PM
I can’t find a 3.5 source for dragonmarks, can you link one? Otherwise cool ideas
Eberron Campaign Setting has the base feat, Dragonmarked has the feats to upgrade it.

Martial Study and Martial Stance are in Tome of Battle.

stewstew5
2019-08-07, 03:16 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting has the base feat, Dragonmarked has the feats to upgrade it.

Martial Study and Martial Stance are in Tome of Battle.

I’m not entirely understand martial study. As I see it, I take the feat, and can get the hatchling’s flame maneuver (being level 2 already). What are the restrictions on my use of this maneuver? How do I calculate the saving throw?

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-07, 04:05 PM
I’m not entirely understand martial study. As I see it, I take the feat, and can get the hatchling’s flame maneuver (being level 2 already). What are the restrictions on my use of this maneuver? How do I calculate the saving throw?

If you are not in a martial adept class when you get the maneuver you can use it 1/encounter. They forgot the save DC for all of Desert Wind's maneuvers so best guess is 11+dex mod or 11+str mod.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-07, 04:09 PM
If you are not in a martial adept class when you get the maneuver you can use it 1/encounter. They forgot the save DC for all of Desert Wind's maneuvers so best guess is 11+dex mod or 11+str mod.

If its consistent with other desert wind maneuvers it would be 10+maneuver level+wisdom modifier and hatchling's flame is a second level maneuver.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-07, 04:17 PM
You can also become undead and get spell stitched.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-07, 04:40 PM
If its consistent with other desert wind maneuvers it would be 10+maneuver level+wisdom modifier and hatchling's flame is a second level maneuver.

I read the maneuver and specifically checked it's level and still made that mistake. Embarrasing. Which maneuver had a listed DC? I did not see one in the ones I checked.

Troacctid
2019-08-07, 04:41 PM
Your character level determines what levels of maneuver and stance you can learn. For non-initiator classes (e.g. fighter), 1st level maneuvers and stances are available at character level 2nd. 2nd level ones become available at 6th, 3rd level at 10th, 4th level at 14th, and 5th level at 18th. So to take Hatchling's Flame, you must be at least 6th level. Additionally, you must have at least one other Desert Wind maneuver in order to meet the maneuver's prerequisites, so you will have to take Burning Blade, Blistering Flourish, Distracting Ember, or Burning Brand first.

For non-initiators, maneuvers are usable once per encounter.

I read the maneuver and specifically checked it's level and still made that mistake. Embarrasing. Which maneuver had a listed DC? I did not see one in the ones I checked.
Blistering Flourish lists a DC.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-07, 04:45 PM

Blistering flourish, dragon's flame, firesnake, ring of fire, wyrm's flame.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-07, 05:05 PM
Blistering flourish, dragon's flame, firesnake, ring of fire, wyrm's flame.

Okay. I just randomly sampled around those, impressively. Thank you.