PDA

View Full Version : Tastiest monster ideas

GreyBlack
2019-08-07, 03:19 PM
So I'm getting towards the end of my current campaign as DM, and my next campaign I'm thinking of running, I kinda want to ask the players to think more along the lines of the players being employed by a magical chef who's always trying new recipes. He's become bored of chicken and beef and such and wants to employ the PC'S to bring him new and exciting ingredients. As such, he'll employ the PC'S to hunt down different monsters and bring them different parts so he can cook them and give the PC'S different rewards.

So I'd like to submit to you, playground... what monsters do you think would be tastiest?

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-07, 03:24 PM
So I'd like to submit to you, playground... what monsters do you think would be tastiest?
Giant Elk. Aurochs. Giant Octopus (Actually, you'd need to marinate that for about a week in vinegar/lemon juice, larger octopi tend to be chewie)

Chuul should be prepared like lobster.

Myconids: based in butter and garlic.

denthor
2019-08-07, 03:31 PM
So I'm getting towards the end of my current campaign as DM, and my next campaign I'm thinking of running, I kinda want to ask the players to think more along the lines of the players being employed by a magical chef who's always trying new recipes. He's become bored of chicken and beef and such and wants to employ the PC'S to bring him new and exciting ingredients. As such, he'll employ the PC'S to hunt down different monsters and bring them different parts so he can cook them and give the PC'S different rewards.

In an evil monster game my Hobgoblin cleric had her own private menu.

Kolbold pot pie,roast kolbold, kidney pie. The chef took 36 to slay prepare and season.
If you wanted her to make potions, wands You had to eat a meal from her menu. The orc guards would not do this. Attend her church, midnight mass, bringing a sacrifice of sentient life for the alter was a big bonus.

Even the most evil shied away from her. I do not know why!

RedMage125
2019-08-07, 04:02 PM

So, I don't remember all the dishes themselves (apart from a purple worm jelly), but I would look into the 3.5e module from DUNGEON magazine called 'The Prince of Redhand", which is a part of the Age of Worms adventure path. There were several dishes there prepared from exotic D&D creatures.

gkathellar
2019-08-07, 04:43 PM
You should really look into a manga called Dungeon Meshi - it's centrally about eating monsters, and deals with their preparation in great detail. One of the main characters is a dwarf warrior and master chef who you could use for inspiration in particular - he's so dedicated to cooking that he's repurposed his adamantine shield as a wok.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-07, 04:49 PM
Fillet Bulette anyone?

Trampaige
2019-08-07, 06:53 PM
Brownies.

May cause unexpected visits from the tooth fairy.

Lunali
2019-08-07, 07:02 PM
Depends on the sort of world the DM wants, but the magic in the world could have a drastic effect on the taste of things. If it were my game and someone made a character like this, I would have the innate vitality of the creatures (their hit dice) affect the taste. This would mean that stronger creatures would generally taste better, obviously there would be exceptions where the taste is stronger, but unpleasant or dangerous.

Dr. Cliché
2019-08-07, 07:14 PM
You could try some Hell Hound - the only animal that cooks itself. :smallbiggrin:

In contrast, Winter Wolf flesh is great for long journeys as it's self-refrigerating.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-08, 12:49 AM
You could try some Hell Hound - the only animal that cooks itself. :smallbiggrin:

In contrast, Winter Wolf flesh is great for long journeys as it's self-refrigerating.

Isn't immunity to fire/cold the exact opposite of self-cooking or self-refrigating?

Particle_Man
2019-08-08, 12:53 AM
Tarrasque. The taste is unique.

Dragon. You can use the skin to make armor too for extra profit.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-08, 12:54 AM
Hydra is a never ending meat machine.

I had a troll chef with a Hydra tied down in the basement.
He used to make brains and meat every day.

You cut one head and you have two more for the next costomer.

Particle_Man
2019-08-08, 12:55 AM
Isn’t that the theme of one of the OOTS comics?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

GreyBlack
2019-08-08, 06:29 AM
A few people have brought up regenerating monsters; I have to disagree with them because the meat might constantly be regenerating as you chew it.

Although cooking it over a fire would stop the regeneration for a turn while the cooking is ongoing, what happens when the fire stops?

Back to the topic, what about Chimera? Coatl? C'mon folks, I want the stuff you think might be tastiest!

Dr. Cliché
2019-08-08, 06:31 AM
Isn't immunity to fire/cold the exact opposite of self-cooking or self-refrigating?

You're no fun.

A few people have brought up regenerating monsters; I have to disagree with them because the meat might constantly be regenerating as you chew it.

Could be a lot worse than that. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Drizzt books mentions animals that have basically exploded after eating some troll flesh, which then regenerated into an entire troll in their stomach.

Spacehamster
2019-08-08, 07:14 AM

Reminds me of an idea I had but never went with, a crazy dwarf chef that were brought up to the ideal of not letting anything and I mean ANYTHING go to waste so he would cook their enemies to help Mother Nature out.

GreyBlack
2019-08-08, 07:31 AM
Could be a lot worse than that. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Drizzt books mentions animals that have basically exploded after eating some troll flesh, which then regenerated into an entire troll in their stomach.

Oh once you swallow troll meat, I'm sure it's fine. Stomach acid and all. It's just the chewing part that might not be great for the person eating it.

Dr. Cliché
2019-08-08, 07:40 AM
Oh once you swallow troll meat, I'm sure it's fine. Stomach acid and all. It's just the chewing part that might not be great for the person eating it.

Well, clearly not. Not if you consider the Drizzt books cannon, anyway.

Spacehamster
2019-08-08, 07:44 AM
Well, clearly not. Not if you consider the Drizzt books cannon, anyway.

Might need to acid bbq it to a crisp before eating it I guess.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-08, 08:50 AM
Might need to acid bbq it to a crisp before eating it I guess.

Maybe they are the famous acid trolls (the ones you need acid instead of fire to kill) from all the threads about challenging veteran players.

Karnitis
2019-08-08, 10:20 AM
so points to the guy who said Brownies.

But is not one going to mention... black pudding??

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-08, 10:52 AM
so points to the guy who said Brownies.

But is not one going to mention... black pudding??

Fun fact:
In my first game our party encountered a gelotonos cube, I tried to eat is because I thought we found food.

Nagog
2019-08-08, 11:10 AM
Perytons may be interesting. Elk/Bird hybrids may have some interestingly delicious meat. Same with pretty much any type of Chimera, as the meat blends could be something entirely different from their components. Also depends on what the cook views as Cannibalism, as other humanoids may be on the menu as well, or even enchanted foods (Meat of somebody killed while under the effects of Tensor's Transformation perhaps?). How about a Blight/Ent Salad?

Waterdeep Merch
2019-08-08, 11:17 AM
You should really look into a manga called Dungeon Meshi - it's centrally about eating monsters, and deals with their preparation in great detail. One of the main characters is a dwarf warrior and master chef who you could use for inspiration in particular - he's so dedicated to cooking that he's repurposed his adamantine shield as a wok.
I came in here just to mention this work- it's hilarious. It's called Delicious in Dungeon in English (D 'n D, get it?). The best part is that, the fantastical ingredients aside, you can very easily actually create each dish they make. They give realistic recipes and cooking techniques for everything. You will be hungry for the weirdest things when you read it.

If there are any other cooks in the audience, this is also a great place to look for D&D-themed food. Find suitable real-world replacements for all the monster bits (not hard, they discuss at length what they taste like) and you, too, can serve boiled mimic or ghost sorbet!

manyslayer
2019-08-08, 12:27 PM
You could try some Hell Hound - the only animal that cooks itself.
I was going to go with pyrolisk (the extra crispy version of a cockatrice) for this but same idea.

Perytons may be interesting. Elk/Bird hybrids may have some interestingly delicious meat.
We did this in one campaign and called it tur-venison.

Could also be looking for things that enhance the flavors but make things more interesting. Maybe a monster under the effects of some buffing spell when it dies gains a distinct flavor. Now the PCs have to buff their foe before taking them out.

Stealing from Castle Greyhawk, you could have some slaad as opponents (maybe working for another chef). Name them Cobb, Caesar, etc. Maybe the PCs would be fed up with them enough to track them down and maybe catch them before they were fully prepared and had a chance to equip themselves (you know, catching Caesar Slaad dressing).

RedMage125
2019-08-08, 01:26 PM
Stealing from Castle Greyhawk, you could have some slaad as opponents (maybe working for another chef). Name them Cobb, Caesar, etc. Maybe the PCs would be fed up with them enough to track them down and maybe catch them before they were fully prepared and had a chance to equip themselves (you know, catching Caesar Slaad dressing).

Bonus points if you kill it with a dagger in it's back.

Jinxed_K
2019-08-08, 03:39 PM
I came in here just to mention this work- it's hilarious. It's called Delicious in Dungeon in English (D 'n D, get it?). The best part is that, the fantastical ingredients aside, you can very easily actually create each dish they make. They give realistic recipes and cooking techniques for everything. You will be hungry for the weirdest things when you read it.

Look at thread expecting somebody to mention Dungeon Meshi, not only one, but two people have. lol

Reminds me of a culinary monk character I had from 'the far east' who traveled to the 'west' to find new and exotic ingredients during her time as a PC in my GM's campaign.
The GM gave minor bonuses for x hours after consuming one of her dishes before an adventuring day.

A Hippocampus would be like Surf & Turf in one creature.

Teaguethebean
2019-08-08, 11:55 PM
Bandits!

ok.... I guess just me...

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-09, 01:37 AM
Bandits!

Not at all.

GreyBlack
2019-08-09, 04:10 AM
Bandits!

Ewww, definitely not. Mostly unwashed, poor hygiene, probably infected with late-medieval-early-renaissance diseases, poor diets.... bandits would probably taste terrible.

Spacehamster
2019-08-09, 05:44 AM
Ewww, definitely not. Mostly unwashed, poor hygiene, probably infected with late-medieval-early-renaissance diseases, poor diets.... bandits would probably taste terrible.

Halfling babies has the best most tender meat!

RedMage125
2019-08-09, 08:44 AM

Not to mention that the taste of meat is affected by the diet of the eatee, and gruel with stale beer aren't the best condiments.