PDA

View Full Version : Adding the Blunderbuss, a Strength based Firearm

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-08-07, 09:59 PM
So the podcast "Dungeon Master of None" has me thinking about firearms. I honestly don't think they are overpowered, a Long Bow is going to do way more damage if shot more than once, Cross Bows have a whole feat dedicated to them, and I thing the fact that bows don't make noise is an often over looked and underappreciated advantage.

(This is a semi-off-topic tangent)
I primarily DM. When combat breaks out between my PCs and enemies with an Int of 8 or more, if a PC is using a Bow, then the enemies are always going to try and either (A). Move from cover to cover and close, or (B). Keep a PC between themselves and the Bowman. If they see a PC with a big scarey gun they are going to try and close while they are reloading, even if they have to dash. If My PCs finish the combat in 3 rounds or less, and no one escapes, then generally enemies in the next encounter will be unprepared. If the combat is particularly raucous then enemies in the next encounter are going to be ready, and may get a surprise round depending on the environment. Guns are definitely gonna let them know you are coming. I may even have them rush to join the fight, so a gun shot may put the players in a position where they have to fight waves of enemies.
(End of Tangent)

Anyway back on topic, so I want to find a way to make a Strength based Firearm. I don't know why I feel like its needed, but I do. So this is what I propose, the Blunderbuss.
3 d4 + Strength piercing Dmg, range of 30/90
It will also have the "Spread" property, the weilder can instead fire into a 10 foot square within normal range and cause those within to make a DC 15 Dexterity save, full damage on a failure, half on a success.

The Blunderbuss requires Strength rather than Dex because it's not hard to hit a target given it's spread, but the strong recoil requires a firm hold on the weapon so as not to shoot wide.

Thoughts? Tweaks?

Urukubarr
2019-08-07, 11:18 PM
I always considered a strength based ranged weapon to be hurling a boulder, its very barbaric and fits. low range high damage.

I tend to use firearms as the unskilled ranged weapon that *anyone* can use, for instance having flat proficiency to hit with no bonuses, and having a flat damage with no bonus. the damage bonus being higher then standard damage before high ability mods are added but lower then a max damage high ability roll. and then simply go with a bonus action reload.