PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering the Joy of D&D

CornfedCommando
2019-08-07, 10:14 PM
I’ve been playing D&D for 28 years now. First picked it up when I was 12, back in the good ol’ days of 2E. Stayed with it through 3.5, skipped 4, came back for 5.

The game is near and dear to my heart. I lurk on these forums, reading up on the best ways to optimize certain concepts, what kind of changes to make to substandard classes, what spells are the best. All that minutiae. I love it; or so I thought.

Three weeks ago, my 10-year-old daughter asked to play D&D with me. I thought, “Okay, this’ll last about an hour before she gets bored and wants to watch Minecraft videos.” I couldn’t have been more wrong.

She loved it. Our first session, just her and me, ran for five hours. Our second was also five hours. She was upset when we stopped for the evening. She rarely broke character. She insisted we act out nearly every interaction her character had. She gathered props from around the house. And she taught me how to love this game again.

Her character is the least optimized character ever, though she instinctively made some halfway decent choices. She choose to be an Aasimar, because they’re “half-angels” and have “glowing eyes.” She choose Paladin as her class, because it was thematic (and thank God cuz it’s pretty decent for a solo game). She has zero clue about most of her special abilities. Couldn’t care less about her spells and that includes Divine Smite.

She choose Urchin as her background, because her parents were murdered. She doesn’t want to wear armor. I had to convince her that a chain shirt could be worn under her normal shirt. Her character wears shorts and has a pet cat named Toby (which I upgraded to a tressym because wings).

Her Constitution is a 10 because orphans have bad health. And when she picked her oath at 3rd level after our second session, I roleplayed out her choices without even bothering to tell her the mechanics (because she wouldn’t have cared anyway).

She choose Oath of Ancients because it was in keeping with how she was playing the character. I called it the Lightkeeper; she agonized over that and the Avenger (Oath of Vengeance) because she wanted revenge for her parents’ murder. The Oath was presented to her in a dream with her guardian angel.

And all of a sudden, I get the game again. It’s not the math exercise I had turned it into. It’s not about DPR or action economy. It’s about telling a story. And having fun. It has given me common ground with a 10-year-old girly girl who surprisingly loves fighting zombies, but wants to spare the goblins (and now has one as a companion; his name is Fork, because he has a fork).

My daughter talks in character with an accent and writes down the names of people she meets and would gladly spend a whole session just hanging out in town learning people’s stories. And she’s not the spaz she normally is; she was focused, she engaged in critical thinking, she sorted out moral dilemmas, and acted twice her age. It was amazing.

I don’t know how many of you are parents, but if you’ve got youngsters, play this game with them. I was shocked beyond belief at how much my daughter took to it. And it has been a blast! It has totally rekindled my love of this game.

Tawmis
2019-08-07, 10:19 PM
Thank you for this. I love, LOVE, LOVE hearing these kinds of stories.

opaopajr
2019-08-07, 10:34 PM
This is a lovely story! Yes, RPGs are about the talking of, and choices within, a fictional world... not the dice (or cards, or chits). That other stuff is just an agreed upon resolution method after the choices and context is accounted for. :smallcool:

Welcome to the joy of "let's pretend!" again. It was never that far away all along, was it? :smallwink:

CornfedCommando
2019-08-07, 10:41 PM
This is a lovely story! Yes, RPGs are about the talking of, and choices within, a fictional world... not the dice (or cards, or chits). That other stuff is just an agreed upon resolution method after the choices and context is accounted for. :smallcool:

Welcome to the joy of "let's pretend!" again. It was never that far away all along, was it? :smallwink:

I found it within the first five minutes. It was there all along, just waiting for me.

Tawmis
2019-08-07, 11:50 PM
I found it within the first five minutes. It was there all along, just waiting for me.

I always say:

We never truly grow up. However, sometimes the child in us plays a really good game of Hide and Seek.
But never fret, we always find them. Eventually.

Chronos
2019-08-08, 06:46 AM
The way I always explain D&D is "It's like those games of Cops and Robbers or Cowboys and Indians we used to play when we were kids. The dice are just there to resolve the inevitable debates of 'I shot you!' 'No, I shot you first.' 'Yeah, but you missed!'."

Brookshw
2019-08-08, 08:35 AM
I don’t know how many of you are parents, but if you’ve got youngsters, play this game with them. I was shocked beyond belief at how much my daughter took to it. And it has been a blast! It has totally rekindled my love of this game.

That's wonderful and I'm jealous. My daughter is still too young to play, but I'll definitely be teaching her once she's old enough (if she's interested). Might even be able to make it a family event as recently my sister, wife, and brother-in-law have become interested.

And it's definitely fun to play with kids whose imaginations aren't bogged down by the rules. I'm running a game for a few friends, and one of those friend's 9 year old. He's a hoot! Loves interacting with everything, super engaged, gets excited about the smallest things. He'll tell you all about his gnome, or G-nome as he likes to call it, summoning snakes, etc. When I stop by their house just to visit he's always excited to talk to me about D&D. It's a lot of fun.

Anyway, good for you, glad you're having fun with your girl!

LordEntrails
2019-08-08, 08:45 AM
Thanks for sharing. Your story has started my day with a smile.
And, just in case you didn't know, you're fortunate :)