PDA

View Full Version : Prodigy Moon Druid Charging Off Cliffs

Trickery
2019-08-08, 10:59 AM
So I just had a dumb idea and wanted to check and see if I have this right.

Level 6 Human Moon Druid
Feats: Charger, Prodigy (Athletics)
Wildshape form: Polar Bear (large)

I believe this character can assume wildshape, grapple a Huge creature (like a giant) using its athletics bonus of +11 (5+3+3), then dash up to 40 feet while dragging the creature and use a bonus action to chuck it ten feet off of a cliff.

nickl_2000
2019-08-08, 11:03 AM
Yup pretty much, I don't see a problem with this especially since you invested 2 feats into being able to do it.

One caviot... Wildshape takes 1 bonus action, Grappling takes the action. You would need to wait until the next turn to dash (action) and toss the giant off a cliff (bonus action from charger).

JackPhoenix
2019-08-08, 11:27 AM
Yup pretty much, I don't see a problem with this especially since you invested 2 feats into being able to do it.

One caviot... Wildshape takes 1 bonus action, Grappling takes the action. You would need to wait until the next turn to dash (action) and toss the giant off a cliff (bonus action from charger).

You don't need to wildshape in combat, though. You could've changed into a bear 2 hours earlier.

Technically, by RAW you require hands (or special exception) to grapple anything, but that's riddiculous. However, it's up to the GM to decide if you can throw creatures around as a bear at all... bears aren't exactly known for being great throwers.

nickl_2000
2019-08-08, 11:31 AM
You don't need to wildshape in combat, though. You could've changed into a bear 2 hours earlier.

Technically, by RAW you require hands (or special exception) to grapple anything, but that's riddiculous. However, it's up to the GM to decide if you can throw creatures around as a bear at all... bears aren't exactly known for being great throwers.

I agree there, but you still need 2 actions and a bonus action in combat to do everything that OP mentioned
Action - Grapple
Action - Dash
Bonus Action - Shove after Dashing

Unless the Moon Druid is also a fighter with Action Surge or is Hasted you still need 2 rounds.

Flyingbooks42
2019-08-08, 11:33 AM

But you could explain it as the bear charging at the creature and simply pushing it off the cliff. That would probably make it more likely for you to get it approved by your GM.

Trickery
2019-08-08, 11:41 AM
But you could explain it as the bear charging at the creature and simply pushing it off the cliff. That would probably make it more likely for you to get it approved by your GM.

I mean, it'd probably work as something like an Ape too. But yes, I'm relying on the DM to allow grappling with a mouth for creatures that don't have "hands". I assume this wouldn't be too contentious.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-08, 12:52 PM
It's be easier as a Giant Constrictor Snake as you'd just need to hit with a Constrict attack to grapple, then dash. You would be limited to 30 speed though.

Now if you had 2 levels of Fighter you could action surge and do it all in one turn before the creature even has a chance to escape the grapple.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled (escape dc 16) Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the snake can't constrict another target

Nagog
2019-08-08, 01:20 PM
Once you get flying creatures, you could potentially throw down a Spike Growth and drag an enemy through it. That may require some DM Fiat, I don't remember if grappling has you share a space with the grappled or not, but it would be a great way to deal massive damage. Combine it with the Giant Owl's Flyby feature, and you could do this to members of a group without provoking AoO.