PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn fighter warlock final draft

Whit
2019-08-09, 12:12 PM
Final draft thoughts. * equals not sure would like help.
Class: Fighter 2/Warlock 14/ 18* or 4lvls another class.
Race Dragonborn. Just go with it please
Red resist fire/ cone attack

Goal. Dragonborn melee who can pactblade and hurl through hell at 14 lock.

Stats S14(16), I 8, W 12, D10, C 15, Ch 13(14)

Lvl 1. Fighter. 1
All Armor all weapons.
* fight style. Sword board or great weapon *duelist +2 dam s/b or defense +1 ac either sb or great weapon. or Gwf reroll 1-2’s

* invocation choices devil sight, imp pact weapon, false life, thirsting blade 5th lvl lock, Eldritch smite 5th lvl lock, relentless hex 7th lock
Lvl 2 warlock 1 fiend patron dark one bless
Lvl 3 lock 2 invoc: devil sight, false life
Lvl 4 lock 3 blade pact invoc: d.s , imp pact w.
Lvl 5 lock 4. Ability +2 str 18
Lvl 6 lock 5. Invoc: thirst blade, eld smite, impro pact weapon
Lvl 7 fighter 2 action surge
Lvl 8 lock 6. Dark luck patron
Lvl 9 lock 7 * add one devil sight or relentless hex
Lvl 10 lock 8. * Ability mod, Gwm feat, dragon feat +1 con (16)
Lvl 11 lock 9 5 invocations
Lvl 12 lock 10 fiend resistance * lightning
Lvl 13 lock 11
Lvl 14 lock 12 *ability con+2 18 ? 6 invoc.
Lvl 15 lock 13
Lvl 16 lock 14 hurl through hell
Lvl 17-20. * don’t know

I think I covered everything except spells.
Please give suggestions on the * areas thanks.

Keravath
2019-08-09, 02:10 PM
The only comment I would make is that I generally don't think eldritch smite is worthwhile since a warlock has many other good choices for spells and only 2 slots/short rest.

1) Darkness + devils sight for advantage depending on party make up and how the DM plays it. By RAW, the impact on other players is pretty minimal.
2) At level 7 warlock - shadows of moil - again for always on advantage
3) Hex - who doesn't want a damage boost and it lasts a long time when upcast

However, use any of these in a fight and you have one spell slot left for casting anything else or smiting. If your DM gives you a short rest after every fight, it might work, otherwise you will have one spell slot/fight on average and you can choose to maybe smite with it or cast a generally much more useful spell that will increase your chances to hit or damage with every attack.

I wouldn't typically consider taking eldritch smite until level 11 warlock when you have 3 spell slots. There are much more useful (though not necessarily more flavorful) invocations to take before then.

Whit
2019-08-09, 03:22 PM
Thanks for input. I’ll look see on the auto knockdown would or not be better than a spell
I was also thinking at the last 4 levels I have a few options
[Lvl 17 fighter lvl3 samurai. Gain advantage on attacks fir 1 round three times day
Lvl 18 fighter4 samurai ability bonus or feat
Lvl 19 wizard 1
Lvl 20 wizard 2 divination dice
Have to change wis and intel and get a +1 to 13.]
Or go all 4 barbarian at the end
Get ability bonus or feat. Get bear totem all resistance fir one tanky person

GlenSmash!
2019-08-09, 03:27 PM
I've always thought a Dragonborn with a Fiend patron of Tiamat would be an awesome character.

I think your level progression is just fine.

Are you limited to standard array? With point buy you could tweak those stats a bit.

Whit
2019-08-09, 03:30 PM
Thanks. Yes I was thinking a Dragonborn fighter who gets drawn to Tiamat for chaotic purposes not evil to stay party friendly.
Pact weapon a great axe axe of dark metal shaped like a dragon with a glowing eye or if I go sword board his battle axe same but also carries shield then I need warcaster
And the deeper his darkness goes I can eve with divination from Tiamat or he succumbs to a raging fighter berserker

I could go point system but I hazard to mini max with 3 8’s etcegats yiur thiughts.

RSP
2019-08-09, 03:35 PM
As Keravath stayed, Eldritch Smite is a bad choice, at least before level 11.

In addition, I’d say Relentless Hex (and Maddening Hex) isn’t worth picking: your bonus action is already going to be used putting up Hex and moving it to new creatures, rather than getting to use this invocation.

If you’re commonly in fights with one big bad, Maddening Hex is okay, but really I’ve found there’s too much moving of Hex to actually make either worthwhile. And, really, if there’s only usually one big bad, then you don’t need to constantly teleport next to him.

Whit
2019-08-09, 03:38 PM
Good info. Ty. Do you think the e smite knockdown not worth it ?

RSP
2019-08-09, 11:59 PM
Good info. Ty. Do you think the e smite knockdown not worth it ?

Not worth it until 11. Again, it’s competing with spells that will have much better effect on combat than adding in the smite damage will. However, once you get 3 slots per SR, I can see having a spare to use just for damage.

I’d probably stick with Devils Sight unless your table generally ignores lighting conditions.

Also, IPW lets your pact weapon be your focus so no real need for Warcaster for that (though still a great feat for a bladelock).

Whit
2019-08-10, 10:51 AM
Another question for late game last 4 lvls
Option 1. lvl 17-18fighter(samurai) 4. Lvl 19-20 wizard divination should I start with 13 int 12(13) cha to make multi class without using feats ability mods since any other mods go to strength and con.
Option 2. Lvl 17-20 barbarian totem bear

Whit
2019-08-10, 07:49 PM
After careful consideration the last 4 levels will go
17 lvl 3 fighter samurai fighting spirit advantage on all weapon attacks until end of turn 3x day.
18 lvl 15 warlock
19 lvl 16 warlock ability mod or feat
20 lvl 17 warlock 9th lvl spell true polymorph allowing him to reach his final goal to transform into a dragon during an epic battle