PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I can make any object, and make them out of Force. What do I make?

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 02:55 PM
To quote the ability:

You may create objects made of solid force energy. Force objects have no weight and prevent incorporeal creatures from passing through them. Force objects have hardness equal to two times your caster level and hp equal to 10 times your caster level per inch.

So, obviously, you can make walls to separate groups of combatants, letting you gang up on one, no matter how many are present. You could drop the objects to deal damage, yada yada yada. You can also create bridges and rope and ships for traversal.

But what are some unconventional ways of using the ability to make any object you can imagine?

nighteyes95
2019-08-09, 03:06 PM
Well you couldn't drop them on people because their weightless but you could be an incredible mime.
Ps: on mobile so can't blue text

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 03:24 PM
Well you couldn't drop them on people because their weightless but you could be an incredible mime.
Ps: on mobile so can't blue text

Duly noted.

nighteyes95
2019-08-09, 03:36 PM
For actual suggestions as its weightless it would also be very buoyant so boats and such wouldn't be a bad idea as long as your DM doesn't make it float off for having zero atomic weight.

Another idea is a giant hamster ball of safety as long as you have a way to breathe in it you can traverse some pretty treacherous environments relatively safely.

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 04:07 PM
For actual suggestions as its weightless it would also be very buoyant so boats and such wouldn't be a bad idea as long as your DM doesn't make it float off for having zero atomic weight.

Another idea is a giant hamster ball of safety as long as you have a way to breathe in it you can't reverse some pretty treacherous environments relatively safely

That's so cheeky.

EDIT: Oh wait. Can I actually create a new class of Eberonian Airships? YES! Just gotta calculate the displacement of air that would be needed to lift the target number of passengers, and then have a way of dynamically changing the amount of weight we have on board. Oh wait. I've got magic. Just summon something really big when we need to land.

StevenC21
2019-08-09, 04:18 PM
What's this ability from. We need the context of your other abilities.

Telonius
2019-08-09, 04:19 PM
Okay, so you're a slightly less versatile Green Lantern now.

Terrific for temporary art displays.

Always have the right-size wrench.

If it's "weightless" in all directions, you could make an improvised Bag of Holding out of it.

Create "Ghost repellent" weapons. (The ghost will be very confused and disappointed when the Greatclub actually connects)

NNescio
2019-08-09, 04:23 PM

Another idea is a giant hamster ball of safety as long as you have a way to breathe in it you can't reverse some pretty treacherous environments relatively safely

Free Resilient Sphere. Well, the 5e version, sorta.

To quote the ability:

You may create objects made of solid force energy. Force objects have no weight and prevent incorporeal creatures from passing through them. Force objects have hardness equal to two times your caster level and hp equal to 10 times your caster level per inch.

So, obviously, you can make walls to separate groups of combatants, letting you gang up on one, no matter how many are present. You could drop the objects to deal damage, yada yada yada. You can also create bridges and rope and ships for traversal.

But what are some unconventional ways of using the ability to make any object you can imagine?

Is there a duration for the force objects? Or do they last indefinitely? Is the ability (Ex), (Su), or (Sp), or a spell? (Or more pertinently, are the force objects considered magic?). Are the force objects invisible? How fast can you make these objects? How big can you make them? Can you wield a weapon-shaped object, and if yes, how much damage will it deal? (do they default to normal weapon damage? Can you make force ammo, including ballista bolts and other siege ammunition?

Seems like you can create staircases in midair to rain down spells/projectiles on enemies (unless the DM is a stickler for Archimedes and make them float, in which case it's even better; you get a flying machine!). Also looks like you can duplicate most tools like Shapesand. Given enough time, it seems like you can replicate most Creation and Fabricate tricks, building entire structures that remain suspended in midair (or float upwards). You may also be able to make traps with spike-shaped objects.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-09, 05:02 PM
Ballista. Just carry around a bit of ammo. Any of the vehicles from A&EG.

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 05:23 PM
Some good clarifications:

Is there a duration for the force objects? Or do they last indefinitely? Is the ability (Ex), (Su), or (Sp), or a spell? (Or more pertinently, are the force objects considered magic?). Are the force objects invisible? How fast can you make these objects? How big can you make them? Can you wield a weapon-shaped object, and if yes, how much damage will it deal? (do they default to normal weapon damage? Can you make force ammo, including ballista bolts and other siege ammunition?

an hour per level. Spell, and the objects can not be dispelled. The force objects can optionally be made translucent (though visible), opaque, or invisible. One standard action. The size of 1 small object per level. 4 objects of a size equals the next size up.
There is no inherent restriction on what shape they can take, other than not having complex moving parts (at least, not without a sufficient Craft check).

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-09, 05:50 PM
If they're weightless, they would make poor weapons (mostly).

Since they're weightless, making obstacles out of them is pointless - enemies can simply push or lift walls out of the way.

MadmanFromSpace
2019-08-09, 06:24 PM
Ranged weapon ammunition. They're weightless, but they still have hardness and HP, so they'd still fire and be able to deal damage. However they wouldn't fall over time due to gravity, so you suddenly might not have any range increments? I don't know if range increments are from physics/gravity or from having to squint your eyes harder as things get farther away. At minimum you never have to buy ghost touch ammunition again.

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 06:38 PM
Ranged weapon ammunition. They're weightless, but they still have hardness and HP, so they'd still fire and be able to deal damage. However they wouldn't fall over time due to gravity, so you suddenly might not have any range increments? I don't know if range increments are from physics/gravity or from having to squint your eyes harder as things get farther away. At minimum you never have to buy ghost touch ammunition again.

Range increments are a crude way of systematically estimating the various environmental factors that normally impede projectile flight from drag to aerodynamics and all that nonsense. So...I guess they'd all just like...just stop moving (except by the wind) once they reached their maximum range.

SirNibbles
2019-08-09, 08:13 PM
That's so cheeky.

EDIT: Oh wait. Can I actually create a new class of Eberonian Airships? YES! Just gotta calculate the displacement of air that would be needed to lift the target number of passengers, and then have a way of dynamically changing the amount of weight we have on board. Oh wait. I've got magic. Just summon something really big when we need to land.

I actually looked at a force-walled vacuum powered airship for a recent thread:

I'll use vacuums for lift with the Stronghold Builder's Guide's rules to design the airship. The goal is a 10 ton (20,000 lb carrying capacity). That means we need to displace at least 248,000 sq ft of air. A prolate spheroid will provide a reasonably aerodynamic shape. Our envelope will be 160' x 28' x28'. That gives the outer envelope a surface area of 23,154 sq ft. In order to prevent the entire ship from going down because of a single puncture, it's a good idea to split the envelope into smaller pieces. See the picture below for the proposed design.

The envelope borders add another 27,000 sq ft of force walls, for a total of 50,000 square feet. I rounded because we ended up with a nice number. The volume is equal to 65 stronghold spaces. It costs 40,000 for a wall of force per stronghold space. That's 2,600,000 gp. Alternatively, we can use the 4,000 gp per 100 sq ft price which gives us a cost of 2,000,000 gp. In order to make the airship more practical, let's just use the lower cost.

At this point, we may as well use force walls for the gondola too. 3,900 square feet more costs another 156,000 gold, for a total of 2,156,000. The gondola volume is 32,000 cubic feet with a 2,000 square foot floor. The capacity is 21,201 lbs, or about 10.5 tons.

https://i.imgur.com/Uv3eQuo.png

Basically, you need to displace 1 cubic foot of air for every 0.075 lbs you want to lift, i.e. you need 13.33 cubic feet of air displaced (by a vacuum) to lift a single pound.

Since you're a lot more limited by size, your best bet is maximising volume while minimising area by using a spherical shape.

__

EDIT: Since the force objects you are using don't have unlimited hardness/damage immunity, we need to figure out how much damage they take from pressure. Stormwrack says 1d6 damage for every 100 feet, which gives us a value of 1d6 damage per 44.1 psi. With a decent hardness, you should be safe even at 100 psi.

Honestly, I don't understand vacuums well enough to know how much force would be applied if the inside is 0 psi and the outside is atmospheric pressure. A cursory glance would lead me to believe that the maximum pressure exerted would be 2x atmospheric pressure, or 29.4 psi, but this is not a field with which I have any experience.

SangoProduction
2019-08-09, 08:30 PM
I actually looked at a force-walled vacuum powered airship for a recent thread:

Basically, you need to displace 1 cubic foot of air for every 0.075 lbs you want to lift, i.e. you need 13.33 cubic feet of air displaced (by a vacuum) to lift a single pound.

Since you're a lot more limited by size, your best bet is maximising volume while minimising area by using a spherical shape.

__

EDIT: Since the force objects you are using don't have unlimited hardness/damage immunity, we need to figure out how much damage they take from pressure. Stormwrack says 1d6 damage for every 100 feet, which gives us a value of 1d6 damage per 44.1 psi. With a decent hardness, you should be safe even at 100 psi.

Honestly, I don't understand vacuums well enough to know how much force would be applied if the inside is 0 psi and the outside is atmospheric pressure. A cursory glance would lead me to believe that the maximum pressure exerted would be 2x atmospheric pressure, or 29.4 psi, but this is not a field with which I have any experience.

The pressure that the atmosphere exerts is ...1 atmosphere. Well, at ground level. We just don't feel it because we aren't containing a vacuum.

The question would logically then be "How do you create a vacuum?" But yeah. Thanks for doing the math at least. We'll need 1,333.33 cubic air of displacement just to lift an underfed commoner without equipment. Don't think we're going to be able to really do that. At least not by having one block of weightless force. I guess we could use multiple casts.

But how's about a slightly different design.
The average hot air balloon is 80 feet tall, 50 feet in diameter at the widest point (equator), weights 600 pounds, has an air capabity of 77,000 cubic feet.
Which is.... well, it's larger than colossal. But it's like a sheet, so one could argue for it to be a smaller size category, but still...I think we'll have to put that idea out to pasture.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-10, 03:38 AM
The pressure that the atmosphere exerts is ...1 atmosphere. Well, at ground level. We just don't feel it because we aren't containing a vacuum.

The question would logically then be "How do you create a vacuum?" But yeah. Thanks for doing the math at least. We'll need 1,333.33 cubic air of displacement just to lift an underfed commoner without equipment. Don't think we're going to be able to really do that. At least not by having one block of weightless force. I guess we could use multiple casts.

But how's about a slightly different design.
The average hot air balloon is 80 feet tall, 50 feet in diameter at the widest point (equator), weights 600 pounds, has an air capabity of 77,000 cubic feet.
Which is.... well, it's larger than colossal. But it's like a sheet, so one could argue for it to be a smaller size category, but still...I think we'll have to put that idea out to pasture.

What about using suspension (the spell) for lift?

NNescio
2019-08-10, 03:45 AM
Since they're weightless, making obstacles out of them is pointless - enemies can simply push or lift walls out of the way.

Not if you enclose someone in it. They get a nice hamsterball though.

SangoProduction
2019-08-10, 04:24 AM
What about using suspension (the spell) for lift?

Oh my. Quite the nice little spell you've found there. Although requiring concentration, or else it simply remains in place for the duration does make the wording seem slightly problematic. Fairly ambiguous language there. Can it be moved by an outside force. Clearly it negates gravity, or else it wouldn't just stay there. But what about any other force? If it can't, then you've made a great big immovable rod.

Anyway, not the thread to talk about potential dysfunctions of spells.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-10, 04:49 AM
Not if you enclose someone in it. They get a nice hamsterball though.

Presumably the object can't intersect other solid objects - like the ground. So unless they're flying, they can still just lift it off them.

Vizzerdrix
2019-08-10, 08:49 AM
Oh my. Quite the nice little spell you've found there. Although requiring concentration, or else it simply remains in place for the duration does make the wording seem slightly problematic. Fairly ambiguous language there. Can it be moved by an outside force. Clearly it negates gravity, or else it wouldn't just stay there. But what about any other force? If it can't, then you've made a great big immovable rod.

Anyway, not the thread to talk about potential dysfunctions of spells.

I think you and I are looking at different spells. I refer to the Suspension from Shining South. Target= 1,000 lbs/level of non living matter for 1d4+CL days. If the body of force is weightless then it should work. You could then use bottles of endless water engines for movement.

Psyren
2019-08-10, 09:19 AM

I'm guessing it's something from Spheres again

Asmotherion
2019-08-10, 09:44 AM
Probably. Though i'd appreciate more context. @OP could you referance the source of the Ability?

i'd probably go for a Colosal Weapon (with medium sized handle) and give it to the Fighter. it's Weightles so he won't need any super STR to wield it. He just got a tone of Reach for his Whirlwind Attac.

Arrows/Projectiles that can hurt incorporeal is cool.

Depending on Size of the Effect you could create an invizible maze with a pattern you (and party) memorise* (holes in the walls for example you can use to attac and then move towards a Wall for Cover) and severally impend the movement of opponents.

*Even better if you have some way of seeing invisible things... i'm assuming the effect is invisible?

NNescio
2019-08-10, 10:23 AM

Probably. Though i'd appreciate more context.

Spheres of Power — Object of Force Creation Talent, under the Creation Sphere.

Don't have the book, so not sure of the exact details of how it works. Sounds kinda Mage the Awakening/Ascension. Or Mutants & Masterminds.

*Even better if you have some way of seeing invisible things... i'm assuming the effect is invisible?

It isn't by default, but the Transparency Alter Talent (also under the Creation Sphere) allows the caster to make them so. Or at least this what I can glean from third-hand accounts. I don't have the actual text to confirm.

Edit:
i'd probably go for a Colosal Weapon (with medium sized handle) and give it to the Fighter. it's Weightles so he won't need any super STR to wield it. He just got a tone of Reach for his Whirlwind Attac.

Also I think the caster needs CL 32 to create a Colossal object... if my secondary source is reliable. Which is sorta why (I think) you see the OP making this related thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594995-Optimizing-Caster-Level-No-cheese) for optimizing CL.

(And here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594898-Any-benefit-to-invisible-swords) another possible related thread, likely with OP intending to wield invisible force weapons. This is pure speculation on my part, however.)

SangoProduction
2019-08-10, 01:06 PM
Also I think the caster needs CL 32 to create a Colossal object... if my secondary source is reliable. Which is sorta why (I think) you see the OP making this related thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594995-Optimizing-Caster-Level-No-cheese) for optimizing CL.

(And here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?594898-Any-benefit-to-invisible-swords) another possible related thread, likely with OP intending to wield invisible force weapons. This is pure speculation on my part, however.)

Nope. I just saw the Oaths posted by someone, which allowed for Boons to be bought off with them, when normally they take casting drawbacks. So, I was just seeing how ridiculous that really was. Kinda was.

Wielding invisible weapons was indeed inspired by the transparency talent. However, I had no intent to wield any, given that I don't play martial types.

NNescio
2019-08-10, 01:25 PM
Nope. I just saw the Oaths posted by someone, which allowed for Boons to be bought off with them, when normally they take casting drawbacks. So, I was just seeing how ridiculous that really was. Kinda was.

Wielding invisible weapons was indeed inspired by the transparency talent. However, I had no intent to wield any, given that I don't play martial types.

Sorry for misrepresenting you then. And thanks for the clarification.

SangoProduction
2019-08-10, 01:31 PM
Sorry for misrepresenting you then. And thanks for the clarification.

Wasn't done out of malice, so no hard feelings.