PDA

View Full Version : Computer (But also board) I just bough Gloomhaven Digital, really excited.

Avilan the Grey
2019-08-09, 04:12 PM
In fact it's my first Early Access game ever on Steam, but since they are basically making a 1:1 copy of the board game with excellent graphics I think it's worth it.

To be totally honest I never played the boardgame but really wanted to. This is perfect for someone like me that want to try it out; $25 is definitely worth it.
So far I have only played 30 minutes, but I fully intend spending all of sunday with it.

Sholos
2019-08-09, 08:38 PM
This is one game where I have to say I prefer the board vastly over the digital. Mostly because I can house rule away the things I hate about the board. Namely all the mechanics that pit players against the group's welfare.

Avilan the Grey
2019-08-10, 12:03 AM
Not paying 120 dollars on a lark, tho.
25? Yes. Also the price will go up, of course, when officially released next year. (Also I have lost my gaming group since two thirds of it moved to Germany two years ago..)

Narkis
2019-08-10, 11:35 AM
Gloomhaven is possibly my favorite board game ever. And the digital version looks a lot better than I expected when I first heard about it. But I'm still probably not playing though. Getting people around a table is half the fun.

Namely all the mechanics that pit players against the group's welfare.

That's really group-dependent. We've never had someone prioritize himself over the group, and our fights over coin and treasure have been of the "You take it - No, you take it" variant.

Though the one thing we've house ruled has been the interaction between Advantage and Rolling Modifiers. The way it works normally is stupid.

Avilan the Grey
2019-08-11, 04:25 PM
Gloomhaven is possibly my favorite board game ever. And the digital version looks a lot better than I expected when I first heard about it. But I'm still probably not playing though. Getting people around a table is half the fun.

That's really group-dependent. We've never had someone prioritize himself over the group, and our fights over coin and treasure have been of the "You take it - No, you take it" variant.

Though the one thing we've house ruled has been the interaction between Advantage and Rolling Modifiers. The way it works normally is stupid.

I played it for about two hours today. Three times it crashed (well it determined it had made an error and threw me back to the main menu, telling me it was doing it) because it couldn't calculate an enemy attack correctly.
When I leveled up I could not change my deck. I reported it and then played Fallout 4 for the rest of the day. Will continue tomorrow.

Narkis
2019-08-11, 10:27 PM
I guess it's in early access for a reason.

Avilan the Grey
2019-08-17, 08:38 AM
I guess it's in early access for a reason.

Oh yes, and I am aware of that. But it is also 25 dollars instead of 60, and it is not a project that can really be derailed, so it's a sound investment.