PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Death Ward Alternatives

Asmotherion
2019-08-10, 10:42 AM
At some point in adventuring Protection from Negative Levels becomes at the very least essential (and depending on the amount of Necromancers/Undead in the setting can become even crucial to your survival).

A Percisted Death Ward is the most comon solution i believe.

What are some Arcane Alternatives (in case you favor playing an incantatrix instead of a cleric). Other than using a tone of XP to replicate Death Ward via Limited Wish every Day.

Veil of Undeath: is pretty forward (yet needs a higher Spellcraft/Metamagic Reducers).
-You get a list that includes all undead imunities.
-Your Con becomes "-". (Not a good Option if you have a good Con)
-You Don't Actually gain the Undead Type through Casting this Spell. (Abusable as you can still count as your original Type).
-Healed/Damaged by Harm/Heal Spells as appropriate for Undead. (Generally Good for an Arcane Caster as you have access to far more Negative Energy Spells in your Arcenal to self heal).
-Material Components Costs 1000gp. (Something you're generally unhappy to see on a Spell you want to cast every Day... Yes even if you somehow got a virtually infinite amound of money)

kiss of the vampire: More Debatable on weather it functions or not as it does not Spell Out your imunities. That said...
-The Exact wording of the Spell says "You are treated as if you were undead for the purpose of all Spells and effects. (i would read that as effectivelly having Undead imunities and vulnerabilities but i'd prefear if someone would confirm this for me)
-A bunsh of nice SLAs
-Only 1 Level Higher than Death Ward so easyer to Persist.
-Material Component Costs 50gp. Still costly but far more Affordable the Veil of Undeath's 1000gp but a bit problematic on the long run.

iron/stone body: Nothing directly says you're imune to Negative Levels but:
-The text says "you are imune to (...) and all spells or attacks that affect your physiology or respiration, because you have no physiology or respiration while this spell is in effect. (So the question here is "Do negative levels affect your physiology or respiration"? My reading is that you need to be Alive to be affected by Energy Drain as in "This attack saps a living opponent’s vital energy". Alive creatures have a physiology and under the spell you have none. could someone would confirm or deny this please?)
-No costly Material Component (still a rare one but you can get around it) (!!!)
-As a level 6 Spell it's easyer to persist than Veil but harder than Vampire.

i'd appreciate more options (including items/Excluding items with limited uses such as Scarab of Protection or spells that cannot be persisted... i'd rather have 24/7 protection).

Biggus
2019-08-10, 11:04 AM
There's a list of magic items which can help with that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items).

pabelfly
2019-08-10, 12:15 PM
There's a list of magic items which can help with that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items).

Love that thread.

I rather like Soulfire Armor myself. +4 Armor enchant that gives complete immunity to death, energy drain and negative energy effects.

Troacctid
2019-08-10, 01:07 PM
I personally like the ring of parting prevented. Essentially a contingent death ward 1/day.

pabelfly
2019-08-10, 01:18 PM
I personally like the ring of parting prevented. Essentially a contingent death ward 1/day.

Ooh, I like. How much is one of them worth?

Troacctid
2019-08-10, 01:40 PM
Ooh, I like. How much is one of them worth?
10,080 gp. See Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p211.

Biggus
2019-08-10, 03:20 PM
Another approach, which works well if enemy spellcasters are the main problem as Energy Drain and Enervation are rays, is Ray Deflection (SpC), which can be persisted.

Erik the Green
2019-08-11, 12:45 AM
Another worthwhile option, in some circumstances, would be Life's Grace (Cleric 5, Spell Compendium p. 131). For only +1 level it grants the benefits of Death Ward plus special bonuses vs undead. Basically you become immune to undead special abilities and attacks (but not their spells or pointy pieces of metal they might be wielding), and your armor or clothes count as ghost touch for the duration. Still only 1 minute per level, but if you can persist Death Ward you can probably persist this. Maybe not the thing if your campaign ends with trying to stop or win the Blood War, but very worthwhile crafting items with this (amulets, rings, robes?!) if you are going to end with stopping the Undead Apocalypse or going up against Atropus, the World Born Dead.

ShurikVch
2019-08-11, 07:16 AM
iron/stone body: Nothing directly says you're imune to Negative Levels but:
-The text says "you are imune to (...) and all spells or attacks that affect your physiology or respiration, because you have no physiology or respiration while this spell is in effect. (So the question here is "Do negative levels affect your physiology or respiration"? My reading is that you need to be Alive to be affected by Energy Drain as in "This attack saps a living opponent’s vital energy". Alive creatures have a physiology and under the spell you have none. could someone would confirm or deny this please?)
-No costly Material Component (still a rare one but you can get around it) (!!!)
-As a level 6 Spell it's easyer to persist than Veil but harder than Vampire.Energy Drain have nothing to do with physiology: say, Incorporeal creatures (who're lacking physiology by definition) still aren't immune to ED unless they're Undead (or Construct). As long as creature have at least Con 1, it will be vulnerable to ED (specific protections aside)

Skum_Overlord
2019-08-11, 08:40 AM
Maybe take a single level in Cleric, then buy all the wands!?