PDA

View Full Version : Best Single Feature for any Class

Bobthewizard
2019-08-10, 02:35 PM
Ok. So this is a little silly. Near the end of a long campaign I am running, when the characters are level 18-20, I plan on the characters rescuing a few gods before they go to invade Thay which is being run by the god Bane. Before they go, I want to give them each a boon that would essentially break the game. My thought is to tell each player they can give their character any boon, feat or character ability in the published books. I will be very liberal with what I allow. If one of them wants to have the Moon Druid's Arch Druid feature I would give them all of that, and I think that might be the best one, but they each have to take something different. We are combining two adventures at that point so might have 10 characters. My players will need some tips on what to look at. We won't be playing very long after this so I don't care if it's broken. I just want it to be cool.

What 10 things should they choose?

Illusory Realty, Arcane Mastery, Elder Champion, Thief's Reflexes, Wind Soul, Hurl Through Hell seem good. Any others.

Edit: The characters are a zealot barbarian, knowledge cleric, land druid, ancients paladin, hunter ranger, eldritch knight, rogue/warlock, 2 dragon sorcerers and a divination wizard. They are going to get these for rescuing the gods and ending the spell plague. They will be their spell scars. I'm thinking of not giving one to the barbarian, telling the player to trust me, and making him immune to all damage and magic. He wouldn't know he's invincible at first, but would figure it out as he goes. They'll only have a few combats after this, including against Bane and his minions, so nothing is too OP.

Also, I am probably looking more for fun abilities, not just bonuses to saves or such.

Edit: After 40 replies to this thread, here’s what I have so far. Assuming the characters are level 17 or 18, how balanced are these with each other?

Zealot Barbarian – Unlimited Rages. (Also Immune to all magic and damage but doesn’t know it)
Gold Dragon Sorcerer – Evoker’s Sculpt spells and Pyromancer’s Fiery Soul
Eldritch Knight – Thief’s Reflexes + Battlemaster Maneuvers
Knowledge Cleric – Arcana’s Arcane Mastery (each 1/LR)
Warlock 5/Rogue X – Monk’s Shadow step and Shadow Sorcerer’s Umbral form
Hunter Ranger – Horizon Walker’s Distant Strike (can combine with whirlwind and mobile feat)
Land Druid – Moon Druid Arch Druid with elemental wildshape
Ancients Paladin – Cavalier’s Vigilant Defender (can combine with sentinel reaction)
Tiefling Blue Dragon Sorcerer – Vengeance’s Avenging Angel and Conquest’s Aura of Conquest
Divination Wizard – Illusory Realty + 1 extra 9th level slot

Vekon
2019-08-10, 02:54 PM
Just about every Paladin subclass capstone. Maybe a few of the auras, too.

The Arcana Cleric's capstone also comes to mind.

The Abjurer's magic resistance. The Monk's proficiency in all saving throws.

J-H
2019-08-10, 04:17 PM
The Rage feature and endless Rage to go with it is pretty good for any front-liner. Half damage from weapon attacks is always relevant.

Divine Intervention once per week (Cleric 20, no failure) is nice.

The Warlock arcana feature where you get one spell each of 6th-9th levels per day is nice.

Monkish proficiency in all saves.

Rogue 18: Elusive, nobody gets advantage against you at all when you're not incapacitated.

suplee215
2019-08-10, 04:19 PM
This may seem too mundane but the barbarian level 20 ability. +4 to con and str scores, breaking the limit is insanely good. So you get +2 to attack, damage, hp, related saves and ability checks. Another would be a fighter's extra attacks (can they only get 1 extra or can they take 2).

Contrast
2019-08-10, 04:24 PM
If one of them wants to have the Moon Druid's Arch Druid feature I would give them all of that, and I think that might be the best one, but they each have to take something different.

You're going to have to clarify a bit - Archdruid is useless if you don't have wildshape. Are they getting two class features for the price of one?

If I choose spellcasting as a non-spell caster do I suddenly have level 9 spells? What if I choose a feature that requires spellcasting when I don't have it? Does that get tacked on like wildshaping did?

If I pick Eldritch Invocations do I get 1? 8?

If you have any non-zealot barbarians Rage Beyond Death would be cool.

Waazraath
2019-08-10, 05:00 PM
Mystic Arcanum 9th level :-)

zinycor
2019-08-10, 05:04 PM
What are these characters? Most features are good or great because of the synergies with other abilities, so, what are the PCs?

Oh, and to answer, is probably action surge and metamagic

Appleheart
2019-08-10, 05:15 PM
I'd always argue that "Soul of Artifice" (the artificer capstone) is the best. Ish at least.

Being able to attune to 6 items, and getting +6 to all saves is amazing.

Jack Bitters
2019-08-10, 05:36 PM
You're going to have to clarify a bit - Archdruid is useless if you don't have wildshape. Are they getting two class features for the price of one?

Well, there is the other part of Archdruid that says "you can ignore the verbal and somatic components of your druid spells, as well as any material components that lack a cost and aren't consumed by a spell." The DM would have to allow it to work for any spells, and not just druid ones, but it's essentially a beefed-up Subtle Spell on everything.

loki_ragnarock
2019-08-10, 05:48 PM
Action Surge.

It's a boon to anyone who picks it up. You level up from joe schmoe adventurer and turn into an ice-in-the-veins paragon of combat efficiency.

Need to make another attack? Action Surge.
Need to cast another spell? Action Surge.
Need to lift an ally and wade out of the water their unconscious butts are drowning in? Action Surge.
Need to disable a trap that requires 3 successes? Action Surge.
Need to Dash again? Action Surge.
Need to do something offensive while applying disadvantage to attacks via dodging? Action Surge.

For the Action Hero, there is only Action Surge!

Damon_Tor
2019-08-10, 06:11 PM
I'd always argue that "Soul of Artifice" (the artificer capstone) is the best. Ish at least.

Came here to say this. Any class would want this, though someone already optimized for great saves (Yuan-Ti/Paladin 6/Monk 14?) would have an especially great time with saves that would be nigh-impossible to overcome. A great capstone for a guy that simply decides he doesn't believe in magic, and the power of his skepticism is so strong that it bends reality to nullify any spells tossed his way. Max Cha, boost Dex and Wis to 16 each, then collect the con and int 19 items and the best Giant Belt you can get your grubby hands on plus a Ring of Protection, a Cloak of Protection and a Stone of Good Luck. Your LOWEST saves are Dex and Wis at +24 (auto-success vs Ancient Red Dragon's fire breath). You have advantage to saves vs magic, can cast Bless on yourself, take no damage on a successful dex save, and can reroll a failed save for 1 ki.

Fable Wright
2019-08-10, 06:16 PM
Action Surge.

Let me do you one better: Thief's Reflexes.

Sure, Action Surge can let you pop off two extra actions if you nab the 17th level version... per short rest.

Or you can make like a Thief and take two full turns before the enemy gets to go.

Depending on gear, Thief's Use Magic Device can also be godly powerful. And do not, for the love of god, underestimate what a boon Extra Attack (3) is for a Cleric.

Make 4 attacks. With +2d8 damage per hit. It's like a free Great Weapon Master... that stacks.

Damon_Tor
2019-08-10, 06:21 PM
A great capstone for a guy that simply decides he doesn't believe in magic, and the power of his skepticism is so strong that it bends reality to nullify any spells tossed his way.

I reminded myself of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY&feature=youtu.be&t=152

Bobthewizard
2019-08-10, 06:22 PM
The Arcana Cleric's capstone also comes to mind.

This is probably the best one if I give them spell slots. The Ranger/Paladin/Fighter suddenly gets 4 high level wizard spells.

Divine Intervention once per week (Cleric 20, no failure) is nice.

The Warlock arcana feature where you get one spell each of 6th-9th levels per day is nice.

These both seem fun

This may seem too mundane but the barbarian level 20 ability. +4 to con and str scores, breaking the limit is insanely good. So you get +2 to attack, damage, hp, related saves and ability checks. Another would be a fighter's extra attacks (can they only get 1 extra or can they take 2).

Great ability. Too mundane for most but the barbarian might like it a lot. Let them get to 28 in both eventually.

If I choose spellcasting as a non-spell caster do I suddenly have level 9 spells? What if I choose a feature that requires spellcasting when I don't have it? Does that get tacked on like wildshaping did?

If I pick Eldritch Invocations do I get 1? 8?

If you have any non-zealot barbarians Rage Beyond Death would be cool.

I'd give them wild shape and arch druid all at once. Maybe even better than the Arcana Cleric.

Probably all 8 invocations. It would still be less powerful than unlimited wild shape.

Mystic Arcanum 9th level :-)

Probably all mystic arcanum. 6th through 9th. Same as Arcana Cleric.

What are these characters? Most features are good or great because of the synergies with other abilities, so, what are the PCs?

Oh, and to answer, is probably action surge and metamagic

Added characters above.

I've not read artificers. But if they want it I'd allow it.

Well, there is the other part of Archdruid that says "you can ignore the verbal and somatic components of your druid spells, as well as any material components that lack a cost and aren't consumed by a spell." The DM would have to allow it to work for any spells, and not just druid ones, but it's essentially a beefed-up Subtle Spell on everything.

Sure. Add that in too.

Action Surge.

It's a boon to anyone who picks it up. You level up from joe schmoe adventurer and turn into an ice-in-the-veins paragon of combat efficiency.

Need to make another attack? Action Surge.
Need to cast another spell? Action Surge.
Need to lift an ally and wade out of the water their unconscious butts are drowning in? Action Surge.
Need to disable a trap that requires 3 successes? Action Surge.
Need to Dash again? Action Surge.
Need to do something offensive while applying disadvantage to attacks via dodging? Action Surge.

For the Action Hero, there is only Action Surge!

Yes. The wizard would love that.

Jack Bitters
2019-08-10, 07:01 PM
I suggest Strength before Death––the level 18 Samurai ability from XGtE that allows you to immediately take an extra turn if you drop to 0 hitpoints. For the caster classes, pick up Spell Thief from the Arcane Trickster to steal any spell. That could be incredibly satisfying.

Honorable mention to Keeper of Souls--Grave Domain Cleric 17 ability that gives you hitpoints equal to the enemy's number of hit dice once per round when they die. Also Shadow Walk, the 14th level shadow sorcerer ability that lets you teleport 120 feet in darkness as a bonus action.

Maybe not so interesting, but the Champion Superior Critical––weapon crits on rolls of 18-20––could be kind of fun.

Blood of Gaea
2019-08-10, 07:12 PM
Vigilant Defender could be hilariously good on the right Rogue.

zinycor
2019-08-10, 07:12 PM
Make the barbarian immune to magic, not to all damage.

As someone pointed out, the ultimate ability that thieves get is simply amazing.

suplee215
2019-08-10, 07:32 PM
Great ability. Too mundane for most but the barbarian might like it a lot. Let them get to 28 in both eventually.

the paladin might also love it unless the player prefer something shiney. more hint points for tanking, easier to hit, if they use GWM (I doubt it but hey) less. but yea when I suggested it it was before the party was known. Any strength base character will love it. A level 20 fighter with this will be brutal.

Blood of Gaea
2019-08-10, 09:56 PM
the paladin might also love it unless the player prefer something shiney. more hint points for tanking, easier to hit, if they use GWM (I doubt it but hey) less. but yea when I suggested it it was before the party was known. Any strength base character will love it. A level 20 fighter with this will be brutal.
Especially a Samurai with how many attacks they can bring to the table.

Lunali
2019-08-10, 10:30 PM
My vote is for reliable talent, the ability to not screw up.

nickl_2000
2019-08-10, 10:37 PM
For a pure paladin, grabbing and extra aura could be pretty powerful.

Darc_Vader
2019-08-11, 01:04 AM
Let me do you one better: Thief's Reflexes.

Sure, Action Surge can let you pop off two extra actions if you nab the 17th level version... per short rest.

Or you can make like a Thief and take two full turns before the enemy gets to go.

Depending on gear, Thief's Use Magic Device can also be godly powerful.

I wouldn’t have thought of that, but yeah, Rogues seem to get a lot of ‘powerful in a vacuum’ features that would be a great choice for this: Thief’s Reflexes, Use Magic Device, Reliable Talent, Elusive, Stroke of Luck, and Spell Thief (much better when you actually have slots above 4th level) are all options I would strongly consider if given the choice.

And do not, for the love of god, underestimate what a boon Extra Attack (3) is for a Cleric.

Make 4 attacks. With +2d8 damage per hit. It's like a free Great Weapon Master... that stacks.

Isn’t Divine Strike limited to once a turn?

Fable Wright
2019-08-11, 02:00 AM
Isn’t Divine Strike limited to once a turn?

*checks book*

Yes. Yes it is. :smallredface:

Oh. Another combo to add, to rival the Moon Druids: Borrow a Level 20 Zealot Barbarian's Rage Beyond Death (and associated infinite rages). Moon Druid gives you 100-some HP per round. Rage Beyond Death gives you essentially infinite, so long as you don't fall to the same tricks that can take out a Moon Druid.

MrStabby
2019-08-11, 03:34 AM
Wizard spellcasting would probably be the most powerful ability, followed by other classes.

Some abilities are tough as they don't work without others. Metamagic won't work without font of magic giving sorcery points. If selecting an ability gives the resource needed for that ability, then things like stunning strike could be pretty powerful, not to mention quivering palm.

nickl_2000
2019-08-11, 06:45 AM
I haven't seen the wizard at will casting of a level 1 and level 2 spell mentioned. On the right character that is pretty darn broken (especially an EK, bladesinger/rogue, or paladin).

JellyPooga
2019-08-11, 07:10 AM
Elemental Wildshape would be thematic for your Land Druid; both being a Druid feature already and granting a significant boost to Wild Shape (which has probably been left significantly underused for a while, given how very limited it is for non-Moon Druids at higher levels). Not the most "bOrken OP, sooooo Pwrfulll!!!1!!" ability, granted, but thematic and pretty tasty nonetheless.

jdolch
2019-08-11, 07:12 AM
You could give them Access to Wish and 1-2 (additional) Spell slots per Day to cast it.

If you want to make it even more awesome: As a Special boon, once a year when the Planetary Spheres align they are exempt from the shackles of reality. If they use Wish in these Moments, they don't have to roll on the 1/3rd Chance to lose the Spell forever. (Call it a retirement fund)

CNagy
2019-08-11, 11:43 AM
It's a little bland, but the Champion's 15th level Superior Critical on any attacker that doesn't have it is going to make itself seen in amount of dice that end up hitting the table.

samcifer
2019-08-11, 11:58 AM
The fighter class Action Surge. You basically get a second turn right away as a free action and it refreshes on a short rest. You also get it very early on in the class.

suplee215
2019-08-11, 10:25 PM
It's a little bland, but the Champion's 15th level Superior Critical on any attacker that doesn't have it is going to make itself seen in amount of dice that end up hitting the table.

holy **** the barbarian will love it. Reckless attack plus superior critical is almost 30% chance to crit (unable to find the math for the exact amount). With a barbarian's brutal critical in there.

bid
2019-08-12, 12:51 AM
Opportunist on a rogue.
Windsoul (or stormborn on a monk / barbarian).
Searing vengeance on a barbarian.
Sudden strike for other rogues.
Magic user's nemesis on a moon druid.
(In fact, many ranger 11/15 features are nice.)
Emissary of redemption is better than tranquility.
Shadow lore has great RP potential.

MrStabby
2019-08-12, 03:54 AM
holy **** the barbarian will love it. Reckless attack plus superior critical is almost 30% chance to crit (unable to find the math for the exact amount). With a barbarian's brutal critical in there.

probability of not critting on each roll hit is 0.85, to not crit you need to crit on neither die so the probability of not critting on an attack is 0.7225. Probability of a crit is 1-0.7225=0.2775

Interesting to compare this to something like improved divine smite - d8 corresponds to an expected 4.5 damage per hit. A crit will add a damage die to the roll - no GWM bonus doubled, no strength doubled, no +x from weapons doubled. So if we were to estimate that a crit would be a third of all hits then we would need three times as much bonus damage from a crit as we would get from improved divine smite. The d8 of divine smite could be on average surpassed if you have brutal critical and extra damage dice from other sources (sneak attack, elemental weapon etc.).

suplee215
2019-08-12, 06:07 AM
probability of not critting on each roll hit is 0.85, to not crit you need to crit on neither die so the probability of not critting on an attack is 0.7225. Probability of a crit is 1-0.7225=0.2775

Interesting to compare this to something like improved divine smite - d8 corresponds to an expected 4.5 damage per hit. A crit will add a damage die to the roll - no GWM bonus doubled, no strength doubled, no +x from weapons doubled. So if we were to estimate that a crit would be a third of all hits then we would need three times as much bonus damage from a crit as we would get from improved divine smite. The d8 of divine smite could be on average surpassed if you have brutal critical and extra damage dice from other sources (sneak attack, elemental weapon etc.).

As a barbarian at level 17 or higher you are adding a total of 4d12 (1 for the normal crit and 3 more) if you are attacking with a great axe. So 26 extra damage compared to the 4.5x3=14.5. Even if we estimate the crit as closer to 1 in 4 that will be 19, which is still smaller than 26. I am unsure if the barbarian is a half orc but if so...

jdolch
2019-08-12, 08:07 AM

As a barbarian at level 17 or higher you are adding a total of 4d12 (1 for the normal crit and 3 more) if you are attacking with a great axe. So 26 extra damage compared to the 4.5x3=14.5. Even if we estimate the crit as closer to 1 in 4 that will be 19, which is still smaller than 26. I am unsure if the barbarian is a half orc but if so...

Fellas, Fellas,

i thought we were talking about some really badass, unbalanced, go-out-with-a-bang End-of-Game-Retirement-Party-Features here. If you have to crunch Numbers to figure out if it's good, it's not it.

jaappleton
2019-08-12, 08:09 AM
Ancients Paladin's lv7, and even better when it expands to a 30ft range, has to be up there.

BaconChest
2019-08-12, 08:28 AM
This isn't the correct answer, but I've been running a high-level campaign for the last year (started at 10, they've just hit 17) and honestly as a DM the single most frustrating class feature is Evasion. Every other class I can throw fireballs at and reliably lower their HPs or force them to expend resources healing. But high-level Rogues are just so unlikely to fail Dex saves (especially if there's a Paladin nearby), and they never stop being able to do it. In combination with spells like Blink to avoid hordes surrounding them, and Evasion helping them mitigate a big alpha strike on the rare turns they are out of position, the "Glass Cannon" moniker is almost a joke.

DarkKnightJin
2019-08-12, 02:12 PM
This isn't the correct answer, but I've been running a high-level campaign for the last year (started at 10, they've just hit 17) and honestly as a DM the single most frustrating class feature is Evasion. Every other class I can throw fireballs at and reliably lower their HPs or force them to expend resources healing. But high-level Rogues are just so unlikely to fail Dex saves (especially if there's a Paladin nearby), and they never stop being able to do it. In combination with spells like Blink to avoid hordes surrounding them, and Evasion helping them mitigate a big alpha strike on the rare turns they are out of position, the "Glass Cannon" moniker is almost a joke.

Monks get it at 7th, too.
I know, because the Halfling Monk at my Cleric's table has it, and has already gotten some decent mileage out of it.

MrStabby
2019-08-12, 02:34 PM
Ancients Paladin's lv7, and even better when it expands to a 30ft range, has to be up there.

Monks get it at 7th, too.
I know, because the Halfling Monk at my Cleric's table has it, and has already gotten some decent mileage out of it.

nN this topic diamond soul is not bad.

Zuras
2019-08-12, 05:36 PM
If they are rescuing gods, why not give them each a boon appropriate to the god in question?

Also, consider monster features as well. Save the god of truth, you get permanent Truesight, that sort of thing.

Potato_Priest
2019-08-12, 05:58 PM
As a fighter, paladin, rogue, monk, ranger, or moon druid, the level 20 barbarian feature that gives unlimited rage uses would be amazing.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-12, 07:05 PM
Here’s what I have for now. Assuming the characters are level 17 or 18, how balanced are these with each other? I don't care if one or two are better, I just don't want anyone to feel left out.

Zealot Barbarian – Unlimited Rages. (Also Immune to all magic and damage but doesn’t know it)
Hunter Ranger – Horizon Walker’s Distant Strike (can combine with whirlwind and mobile feat)
Ancients Paladin – Cavalier’s Vigilant Defender (can combine with sentinel reaction)
Tiefling Blue Dragon Sorcerer – Vengeance’s Avenging Angel and Conquest’s Aura of Conquest

jdolch
2019-08-13, 02:54 AM
Here’s what I have for now. Assuming the characters are level 17 or 18, how balanced are these with each other? I don't care if one or two are better, I just don't want anyone to feel left out.

It's your decision of course but I am not a fan of this at all.

If I put myself in the place of one of your Players, what I want for my beloved Character is a "They lived happily ever after" not some stupid mechanical Gimmick that's of no use to me because I am not gonna play for much longer.

If i were a Player in that Situation and you'd give something like that to me I'd be disappointed. Those are all great Ideas for a Game that's level 15 and will run for another 4 Month. They are terrible Ideas for a Game that's ending anyway.

I am sure if you really think about it that way you can come up with a way to signal to your Players:

"Well done. Your Characters have reached the End of their Epic Journey. Here are their Rewards that make sure, whatever happens once you give up control of them, they are gonna be ok and have a great life."

None of the things you listed do that.

That's like giving Frodo a Mithril Shirt at the End of LoTR...

WHAT?!

He's leaving with the elves to the undying lands, why the hell would he need some more AC? NO!
The right time for that was waaay before then, when it still mattered.
Which is exactly how it is in the Book. He gets the mechanical Gimmick when it still matters. And in the end his reward for all he has accomplished and endured isn't one more Gimmick. It's that he is accepted into the Elvish Valhalla, (so to speak.) to heal and live out his life in peace.

I am sure you can come up with something just like this, something that still matters.

Something like:

You could give them Access to Wish and 1-2 (additional) Spell slots per Day to cast it.

As a Special boon, once a year when the Planetary Spheres align they are exempt from the shackles of reality. If they use Wish in these Moments, they don't have to roll on the 1/3rd Chance to lose the Spell forever. (Call it a retirement fund)
That's just one possible (admittedly bland) Solution, that, if given to me, would mean I can now let my Imagination come up with a future for my Character where he has everything he ever wanted and lives happily ever after.
(In contrast to your "I can now imagine a future for my character, where he can take 4 reactions every combat round" ... WTF!)

Bobthewizard
2019-08-13, 05:59 AM
If i were a Player in that Situation and you'd give something like that to me I'd be disappointed. Those are all great Ideas for a Game that's level 15 and will run for another 4 Month. They are terrible Ideas for a Game that's ending anyway.

It's not the very end. When they get these, the Wizards of Thay will have conquered Faerun with only Halruua and Waterdeep holding out and Mulhorond neutral. The characters will still fight with the good gods defending Halruua against the evil gods and their armies, try to convince Mulhorond to join the fight, travel to Thay to fight the Wizard armies there, and finally fight Bane and at least one other god in the finale. I have about 10-15 sessions prepared. They might also go to Waterdeep to assist in its defense but I don't have that prepared.

After posting this, I might even add an extra adventure where they have to go to hell and fight the non-avatar versions of the gods they defeated on the material plane.

They'll still get their happily ever afters. Some will ascend to be gods to replace the ones that have fallen in the campaign, some will be rulers of vast swaths of Faerun.

jdolch
2019-08-13, 06:05 AM
It's not the very end. When they get these, the Wizards of Thay will have conquered Faerun with only Halruua and Waterdeep holding out and Mulhorond neutral. The characters will still fight with the good gods defending Halruua against the evil gods and their armies, try to convince Mulhorond to join the fight, travel to Thay to fight the Wizard armies there, and finally fight Bane and at least one other god in the finale. I have about 10-15 sessions prepared. They might also go to Waterdeep to assist in its defense but I don't have that prepared.

After posting this, I might even add an extra adventure where they have to go to hell and fight the non-avatar versions of the gods they defeated on the material plane.

They'll still get their happily ever afters. Some will ascend to be gods to replace the ones that have fallen in the campaign, some will be rulers of vast swaths of Faerun.

Ah ok, then it makes sense.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-13, 12:41 PM
Ok. So this is a little silly. Near the end of a long campaign I am running, when the characters are level 18-20, I plan on the characters rescuing a few gods before they go to invade Thay which is being run by the god Bane. Before they go, I want to give them each a boon that would essentially break the game. My thought is to tell each player they can give their character any boon, feat or character ability in the published books. I will be very liberal with what I allow. If one of them wants to have the Moon Druid's Arch Druid feature I would give them all of that, and I think that might be the best one, but they each have to take something different. We are combining two adventures at that point so might have 10 characters. My players will need some tips on what to look at. We won't be playing very long after this so I don't care if it's broken. I just want it to be cool.

What 10 things should they choose?

Illusory Realty, Arcane Mastery, Elder Champion, Thief's Reflexes, Wind Soul, Hurl Through Hell seem good. Any others.

Edit: The characters are a zealot barbarian, knowledge cleric, land druid, ancients paladin, hunter ranger, eldritch knight, rogue/warlock, 2 dragon sorcerers and a divination wizard. They are going to get these for rescuing the gods and ending the spell plague. They will be their spell scars. I'm thinking of not giving one to the barbarian, telling the player to trust me, and making him immune to all damage and magic. He wouldn't know he's invincible at first, but would figure it out as he goes. They'll only have a few combats after this, including against Bane and his minions, so nothing is too OP.

Also, I am probably looking more for fun abilities, not just bonuses to saves or such.

Edit: After 40 replies to this thread, here’s what I have so far. Assuming the characters are level 17 or 18, how balanced are these with each other?

To be honest, i'd custom make the abilities.

Are these the characters in the game? I'd look at what they do and try to create an ability to enhance it - Zealot barbarians are about divine rage, Divination wizards are about spells and the future/time, Land Druids are Nature spell casting masters etc.

Examples

Divination Wizard:
Warped Time Casting - A breakthrough in spellcasting's effect on space/time obtained by only the most accomplished of spellcasters who have learned a method to passively manipulate time while utilizing their magic. Any time this player casts a spell, they may open a warp in time at the start of their next turn repeating the same spell at the start of that turn. This duplicate spell requires no action/Bonus action, requires no spell slots, and conditions (such as targets or effects) are re-chosen at the start of this new turn.

Zealot Barbarian:
Righteous Fury - Your deity has recognized your ability to affect the world on their behalf and has bestowed you with unwavering furious faith. While in combat, each individual instance you take damage causes your religious fervor to increase, fueling your anger and resulting in a temporary +1 Strength modifier until the end of this combat.

Land Druid:
Summon the Elements - Druids who have reached a certain level of mastery of the elements become true defenders of the wild, and are able to obtain the aid of Mother Nature in their battles. As an action, you may summon the elements during combat. While in combat, if you have the elements summoned, you may take 1 free action on your turn to utilize 1 aspect of nature to aid in your fight.
Aspects of Nature:
1.) Strike of Lightning - You summon the speed of lightning. An arch of lightning reaches out from your chest to any space within 60 feet of you, and you are transported through this bolt of lightning to that space.
2.) Growth of Earth - The land responds to your call. Choose a living target within 100 ft of you, the earth reaches up from below it, enveloping it's bottom half. Said target is unable to physically move from that position next turn. This ability does not prevent magical means of movement.
3.) Flow of Water - You manipulate the lifeblood of nature around you. Moisture from the environment around you gathers and invigorates your party, all living creatures of your choice within 120 ft of you benefit from 2d8+Spellcasting Mod of healing.
4.) Whisper of Wind - The air lends gentle aid, or powerful deterrence. You may gain fly speed of 30 ft until the start of your next turn. If you are in the air at the start of your next turn and choose not to maintain this Aspect of Nature, you begin to fall at a normal rate. Alternatively, you may turn a massive gust of wind towards your enemies. All enemies within 60 ft of you are pushed 10 ft directly away from you, and must succeed a DC 15 Dex save or be knocked prone.
5.) Rage of Fire - Fire represents both the death of old, and the growth of new. At the end of your turn you are enveloped with raging fire that lasts until the start of your next turn. Any creature starting it's turn within 5 ft of you, or that enters a 5 ft space around you, takes 8d6 fire damage. At the start of your next turn your body regenerates like a forest fertilized after a fire, you heal health equal to 1/2 the fire damage your fire caused last round.

Im just spitballing these, not sure how balanced they are for the campaign or compared to eachother. It sounds like the key to what you want is powerful abilities that make the player feel awesome - so just create abilities that play into their Character/Role that will make them feel badass.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-13, 03:59 PM
To be honest, i'd custom make the abilities.

Are these the characters in the game? I'd look at what they do and try to create an ability to enhance it - Zealot barbarians are about divine rage, Divination wizards are about spells and the future/time, Land Druids are Nature spell casting masters etc.

These are great ideas. I was approaching this by bending some of the restrictions on class abilities or combining them, but I love these.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-13, 04:15 PM
These are great ideas. I was approaching this by bending some of the restrictions on class abilities or combining them, but I love these.

Feel free to use, alter how you see fit. I'd happily dream up more if you want additional brainstorming. Are those listed classes the PC's in the game?

It may also be really cool to introduce pre-set abilities for each of them, maybe at the end of a quest theres some kind of explosion, or enchantment, or something that enhances these features out of them. Or perhaps something happens to each, the Wizard has a scholarly breakthrough, the Druid has a spiritual experience with nature, the Zealot receives a vision from his god.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-13, 06:05 PM
I'm bored at work, here's some more brain storming. Feel free to alter as you see fit if some are more powerful than others.

Gold Dragon Sorcerer:
(Sorcerer's "thing" is the magic in their blood, natural charismatic casting)

Blood of the Ancestors - Your magical prowess is enhanced by the blood passed to you from generations of sorcerers throughout your bloodline. Each time you cast a spell that damages an enemy your magic is altered on the turn you cast the spell with 2 powerful effects drawn from your blood. Roll 2d6:
An ominous whisper fills the air with two words as you channel the spell...
1.) Empowerment - Double the damage die rolled for this spell, as though it were a critical melee strike.
2.) Invigorate - Regenerate spell slot(s) equal to the value of the spell slot used for this spell. For example, if you cast a spell using a level 6 spell slot, you may regenerate a level 6 spell slot, or two level 3 spell slots, or one level 2 spell slot and one level 4 spell slot, etc.
3.) Opportunity - You may cast another spell or cantrip this turn, it counts as part of the action used to cast the original spell.
4.) Weakness - Each enemy damaged by this spell must succeed a Wisdom saving throw vs your spell save DC, each creature that fails is Frightened of you.
5.) Misdirect - Choose 1: You may teleport to any spot not currently occupied within 60 feet |or| you may gain Invisibility until the start of your next turn.
6.) Protect - You gain +1 AC and +1 to all saving throws until your next turn

*Double 1's.) Magical power enhances the damage spell beyond control. Choose 1 creature damaged by this spell, that creature must use legendary resistance or some kind of legendary action vs this ability otherwise it is immediately destroyed in a manner appropriate to the spell damage type (Fire disintegrates, Ice freezes/shatters, etc.)

*Double 6's.) Magical power seeps out your body and envelopes you and your friendly combatants. All friendly creatures within 60 ft, including yourself, receive +2 AC and +2 Saving throws for the remainder of this encounter.

Eldritch Knight:
(The spell casting heavy armored warrior)
*I am not familiar with this class.

Battle Mage - You have mastered the balance between physical prowess and magical manipulation such that your attacks feed your spells, and your spells feed your attacks. Whenever you cast a spell, you may make an attack (A full attack action with Extra Attacks included) as a bonus action. Whenever you make an attack, you may cast a spell as a bonus action. Any attacks have Advantage if you have already cast a spell this turn. If you've already made an attack, you may cast a spell without expending a spell slot this turn.

Knowledge Cleric:
(Their thing is the Godly Knowledge Spectral spellcaster)

Student of the Gods - The Divines have touched your mind and infused it with Wisdom. As a reaction, when you see a spell cast you may create a spectral mimic of that spell that you can direct with new targets and effects. This Spell mimic does not require a spell slot, and does not count as a "spell cast" on your turn, meaning you may cast another spell if you please despite resolving the mimic spell. At the start of your turn, as a bonus action you may resolve this spell. For example, if an enemy (or friend) lobs a Fireball, you may create a spectral fireball near you attempting to mimic the fireball spell with your divine casting, and at the start of your turn you may lob said spectral fireball at a target of your choice as a Free Action. Additionally, when you see and mimic a spell in this fashion you may memorize and add the spell to your list of known (but not prepared) spells.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-13, 08:02 PM
Gonna give the obvious answer...

L20 divine intervention x10.

It's like all of the listed features with the low key benefit of Calling Down Gods.

logannc
2019-08-14, 02:14 AM
I'm surprised Illusory Reality is in the running. It's weak when compared with Malleable Illusions and Mirage Arcane.

What about eliminating the limit of one concentration spell? Instead, a concentration check for each spell being maintained.

Or buffing Spell Mastery to include a 3rd level spell?

Bobthewizard
2019-08-14, 06:23 AM
I'm surprised Illusory Reality is in the running. It's weak when compared with Malleable Illusions and Mirage Arcane.

What about eliminating the limit of one concentration spell? Instead, a concentration check for each spell being maintained.

Mirage Arcane/Malleable illusion takes 10 minutes of prep which they frequently won't have and they likely won't be able to use it in Bane's castle. The player uses silent image all the time, so I think he will love the idea of their divination wizard creating a 15' adamantine object every round just using their mind. Blocks, walls, cages, prisons, etc.

I am still considering reducing the concentration restriction. It would fit well.

I considered at will fireball or lightning bolt for the sorcerers.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-14, 11:14 AM

Way off.

A.) It depends on how the DM rules Mirage Arcane.
B.) Mirage Arcane is removed with a simple Dispell Magic.
C.) Mirage Arcane takes 10 min to cast.
D.) Mirage Arcane requires your 7th level spell slot

Illusory reality paired with Silent Image as a signature spell is a 15 ft cube illusion that can be cast without using any resources instantaneously and made into REALITY for 1 min.

Not only are the COMBAT implications more practical - but the out of combat uses are astronomically better.

Talsin
2019-08-15, 08:48 AM
Bringing it over from another thread, but for Fighters, why not the ability to add Tenser's Transformation on top of doing an action surge?

-Advantage on all attacks
-All attacks do an extra 2d12 force damage
-50 temp hp

Pretty nice to tack on to a high level fighter...:smallcool: