PDA

View Full Version : Is Thor's boot connected to the clouds?

Squire Doodad
2019-08-10, 09:27 PM
So in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1133.html), Durkon and Minrah are shown walking through the clouds to go to "the tower" (immediately thereafter shown to be Thor's leg). The thing is, they are walking for at least a short bit, and when Thor's leg is being shown, they are in the middle of the fluffy bit of his shoes. It might just be me seeing it weirdly, but it seems that they were walking a few feet to get to Thor's leg, while I'd imagine they would have been walking for a few minutes. They could have walked for a few minutes if funky afterlife physics stuff is in play, but I'd like to try looking for different answers first.

Anyone else care to try to shed some light on this?

Keltest
2019-08-10, 09:42 PM
So in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1133.html), Durkon and Minrah are shown walking through the clouds to go to "the tower" (immediately thereafter shown to be Thor's leg). The thing is, they are walking for at least a short bit, and when Thor's leg is being shown, they are in the middle of the fluffy bit of his shoes. It might just be me seeing it weirdly, but it seems that they were walking a few feet to get to Thor's leg, while I'd imagine they would have been walking for a few minutes. They could have walked for a few minutes if funky afterlife physics stuff is in play, but I'd like to try looking for different answers first.

I figured they started out on the edge, and it only took them about as long as it took for them to have their conversation to get there.

Also, remember that dwarves walk slower on account of the short legs.

Morquard
2019-08-11, 03:11 AM
Remember how Roy thought the events of 3 months happened within a single day when he was dead, because he was missing all those little indications of time passing?

Who says that can't be the other way around too, that they thought they must have walked a far longer distance than they actually did?

GrayGriffin
2019-08-11, 03:17 AM
Judging from the texture, I'm pretty sure they started out on Thor's boot. The clouds we see later on are shaded differently.

NerdyKris
2019-08-11, 07:54 AM
They walked in a circle around the leg, just long enough to have the conversation but not long enough to realize they went in a complete circle.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-11, 08:28 AM
They walked in a circle around the leg, just long enough to have the conversation but not long enough to realize they went in a complete circle.

I mean, they were walking towards his leg, but otherwise that kind of makes sense.

Skum_Overlord
2019-08-11, 08:44 AM
As a god of thunder, maybe his boots ARE the clouds?

facw
2019-08-11, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure they were always on his boot. I think the problem is that they should have been a lot smaller on the reveal panel, but The Giant couldn't do that because they would have been too small to see.

factotum
2019-08-11, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure they were always on his boot. I think the problem is that they should have been a lot smaller on the reveal panel, but The Giant couldn't do that because they would have been too small to see.

Yeah, this. If they'd been of a size where they could reasonably have taken a couple of minutes to walk across the top of his boot, they'd have been dots in that final panel and people wouldn't have understood what was happening.

hroşila
2019-08-11, 10:41 AM
You just have to assume Thor shrank unconsciously before he did it consciously. That's how I took it anyway.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-08-11, 01:56 PM

Oh, dang. I hadn't noticed that before now! Lol. I imagine they walked up for a while and then Thor rose up so the bottom of his boot was on the actual cloud-floor when they stepped on his boot. See the next comic where he picks them up and drops them down where the actual cloud-floor is.

Kornaki
2019-08-11, 02:47 PM
I think the cloud was the top of his boot. The tower is the same grey as his pant leg but not his shoe. Look at this comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1135.html

The little white fur on top of his boot? That's what they were standing on.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-11, 02:51 PM
I think the cloud was the top of his boot. The tower is the same grey as his pant leg but not his shoe. Look at this comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1135.html

The little white fur on top of his boot? That's what they were standing on.

That does make sense, but there's still a bit of a mental disconnect between the length of his boot and the distance they apparently walked.

Reading it a second time, I do see that Durkon and Minrah do stop a bit while their walking, suggesting they would have walked less than if they were walking the entire length of the conversation. Also short little dwarf legs. With all that in mind, the distance between where they landed and where the ended up seems like it could be a matter of perception than an issue with how its depicted.