PDA

View Full Version : Bard X / Wizard 1 or 2? How smart would that be?

Tangleweed
2019-08-11, 01:33 AM
Hello ya all!

So I am currently playing a book-learned well educated lore bard at lvl 3, and I consider dipping 1, or in the longer run 2, levels of wizard. Looking through the different spells and options going forward, I realized that there was a lot of low-level spells that this characters really would like to learn. Most of them are utility stuff like comprehend language, mending, identify and so on. But learning all of them through the bard progression would take a lot of levels. And I already entertained the idea of getting ritual caster just cause it would make sense for the character to have a spell book and copy spells. Then I realized I could dip Wizard and get access to those spells, and a book. I am just curious how sub-optimal this would be.

The main reason I like this is that It would grant me enough known spells that I feel the character would like to know without having to sacrifice the powerful spells from the bard list.
The MAD is of course a problem from an optimization perspective, but I am already rocking a int of 16 anyways. I would probably do the dip at lvl 5 after my first ASI.
A problem with ritual caster is that it is a feat and I really need to boost those ASIs and think I would rather trail one level than give up on a ASI.
How bad would it be to be trailing one level?

I play for the roleplaying first, narrative at close second and at the same time like the abilities and stats to reflect my character.

Sorry if its a bit messy to read, English is not my first language.

Edit: I know that I copy higher level wizard spells, according to the errata. Would be a lot cooler if I could.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-11, 04:00 AM
I took the ritual caster feat for my lore bard and I am happy with it.

You can use your magical secret yo learn stuff and change them at the next level. It is nice to do.
I got almost all level 1 rituals(One spell is missing), two level 2 rituals and one level 3 ritual at bard 7.

I think missing level 3 spells will hurt as a caster.
I am still at cha 16 and doing ok, enemies fail my save but I don't hit with spell attacks(probably because I have no attack spells).

EDIT:
Bladesinger can be useful if you want more defense with your 16 int.

Khrysaes
2019-08-11, 06:45 AM
Divination wizard would be great.

1 Wizard isn't terrible, as it nets you the shield spell and a few more cantrips.

I took 3 Warlock on my bard. Hexblade boosts the bard's armor to medium, grant's shield, allows cha to melee with a weapon, and grants eldritch blast. 2 warlock makes eldritch blast do damage with your cha bonus, and gives another invocation, I took devil's sight, but anything is good.

You don't need 2 or even 3 warlock, I just wanted the improved familiar and darkness spell.

3 warlock could get you the Tome pact, and the invocation to go with it, netting you eldritch blast, medium armor, and 2nd level rituals not limited by class, and you cant lose your book.

You could also flavor it as that you did research and used your wits to form a contract with the patron, and with the Hexblade it is a magic weapon or a being in the form of a weapon.