PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Sorcerer pures no multi-classing plz

Throne12
2019-08-11, 02:54 AM
I'm want to play a Sorcerer and I'm looking for tips and advice. See how with the Sorcerer you have very little you can get to have.

So first I'm stuck with picking from 1. Divine Soul, 2.Giant Soul, and 3.Shadow.

Race I don't care too much and don't have anything in mind.

What spells should I pick?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-11, 03:10 AM
First choose what you want to do.

After that you can choose the subclass that have the best benefit.
Then you choose the spells that do what you want.

There is not enough information to make a choice.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-11, 03:19 AM
I'm want to play a Sorcerer and I'm looking for tips and advice. See how with the Sorcerer you have very little you can get to have.

So first I'm stuck with picking from 1. Divine Soul, 2.Giant Soul, and 3.Shadow.

Race wise you can't go wrong with a Half Elf.

For spells you'll want to have Mage Armor and Shield for early defenses, offensively Magic Missile and Ice Knife are pretty good early spells (and Thunderwave too).

Why are you restricted to those origins?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-11, 03:38 AM
First ask yourself which cleric spells you will want to add to your Sorcerer.
I find them useful in a hexblade or paladin multiclass because you will probably want to be in melee with those classes and cleric spells are great for it.

If you don't want the spells then you have one less option to choose from.

At level 3 shadow become great at attack spells(even better with elven Accuracy) for cheap(2sorcery points for darkness, use it like fog cloud or on yourself if you are not close or blocking your party members sight).
At level 6 you become great with spell that requires multiple saves from the extra special doggo you get. I recommend combining it with stuff like sickening readians and sculp spell metamagic.

Giant soul is great with surviving. I didn't play the subclass yet so I can't say more from lack of experience with it.

Throne12
2019-08-11, 03:39 AM
Race wise you can't go wrong with a Half Elf.

For spells you'll want to have Mage Armor and Shield for early defenses, offensively Magic Missile and Ice Knife are pretty good early spells (and Thunderwave too).

Why are you restricted to those origins?

Those are the ones I like but you can make a case for other ones if you want to.

I'm thinking

Half elf variant for elf weapon training for prof with longsword. Then for sorcerous origin going giant soul then picking frost giant. I'll focus my stats on first chr, then con, then lastly Str, then dex, int, wis in that order. I'll mostly stay back and throw spells but ever now and then waid into melee. Sents I'll have trash AC I'll rely on temp hp. Mostly thank to Armor of Agathy's.

But plz feel free to suggest another build and spell selection.

Eldoxar
2019-08-11, 05:43 AM
One thing I would note is that you can and will replace your Known Spells throughout the game. By doing so you can pick spells which are strong only early and replace them later. I am thinking of Sleep, which is overpowered at first levels, but not so useful later on.

At higher levels you will have a lot of Spell slots, and being able to do something out of them with your Recation is useful. So eventually you might want to have Shield and Absorb Elements among your spells – but not necessarily on your first levels.

Note that as a Spellcaster your strength will be utility and area spells, that is how you will be useful for your group. For the first kind – at low levels – I suggest to have Detect Magic, Suggestion (very strong with Heightened Spell) or Invisibility. For the second kind of spells Sleep will be just enough, but you can also grab Burning Hands for the first 2 levels. Then you need Dragon's Breath (incredibly strong at levels 3 and 4), and at level 5 Frieball is just a must-have (you can soon throw out your lower level area damaging spells).

jdolch
2019-08-11, 06:09 AM
To that very unspecific Question it's probably best you just read a Guide (for example This (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view) or This (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lCP_i_1O3Cvicv2vVQ7GP2XgpXkEhQTsQKSSw0ScxCA/edit)) and then ask more specific Questions.

As to Spells: Here is Treantmonks Video Guide to Spells (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1Ir4IJ_S8).

Some stuff from the top of my head:

Cantrips:
- One Damage Cantrip (Firebolt, Ray of Frost, etc.)
- Minor Illusion
- Light (if you need it)
- (Guidance if Divine Soul)
- Prestidigitation is pretty cool just to feel like a magic user.

First Level:
- Sleep (only low Level)
- Shield
- Absorb Elements

Second Level:
- Mirror Image
- Misty Step
- Hold Person
- Suggestion
- Phantasmal Force
- Web

Third Level:
- Fireball
- Fly
- Haste
- Hypnotic Pattern
- Counterspell
- Dispel Magic

Fourth Level:
-Greater Invisibility
- Polymorph
- Banishment
- Wall of Fire

But I would really think long and hard about 2 Levels of Warlock. It doesn't really change the character thematically and having Access to Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast (+Repelling Blast) makes this so much easier, because now you have a really good source of damage that doesn't require Spell slots and so you can save those for Utility and don't run dry all the time. (The other stuff like better Armor and a refreshing slot for Shield is nice too). I also really like Shadow-Hexblade and DivineSoul-Celestial Combos for Roleplay Purposes.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-11, 06:14 AM
Those are the ones I like but you can make a case for other ones if you want to.

I'm thinking

Half elf variant for elf weapon training for prof with longsword. Then for sorcerous origin going giant soul then picking frost giant. I'll focus my stats on first chr, then con, then lastly Str, then dex, int, wis in that order. I'll mostly stay back and throw spells but ever now and then waid into melee. Sents I'll have trash AC I'll rely on temp hp. Mostly thank to Armor of Agathy's.

But plz feel free to suggest another build and spell selection.

In general Strenght is just a bad stat to invest in unless you're playing a character that will use weapons like Great Swords etc. and heavy armor. You realistically lose nothing from having Str as your dump stat and focusing on Dex instead, but you gain: Higher AC, Higher initiative, several higher skills.

In my opinion it's a bit of a waste to grab the weapon proficiencies when there's so many better options for the same thing: the default skills, an extra cantrip, bonus move spee etc.

As for Giant Soul it's... very lack lustre for its first level abilities, all you get is an extra hp per level and bonus spells known that are level gated. The Draconic Sorcerer gets that extra hp and the equivalent of permanent Mage Armor (freeing up both slots and a spell known) and nets you Draconic as a language. If you want temp hp then False Life is on the Sorcerer list and whilst it doesn't have a damage aspect to it, it does provide more temp hp.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-11, 06:54 AM
I like the Glasya Tiefling for a Sorcerer. Free Minor Illusion, Disguise Self and Invisibility with +1 Dex and +2 Cha.

My favorite sorcerer guide is Guru's linked above by jdolch. It does a better job describing the interaction of meta magic and spells.

I like draconic as my favorite origin. Draconic's AC and extra HP are great for a sorcerer and the extra fire damage at level 6 combined with empowered evocation makes an excellent blaster. Of the ones you mentioned, shadow is probably my favorite.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-11, 08:47 AM

Using mostly srd stuff...

V. Human Shadow Sorcerer "SWAT"

Background: Stealth and Acrobatics... You're a sneaky para military swat member.

Feat at first level: Mobile

You're a member of the para-military mercenary group that soecializes in apply pressure so to support others.

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Skills: Acrobatics, Stealth, Insight, Intimidation, and Persuasion.

Spells

You are not a wizard

You are not a cleric

You are no druid or bard.

You are the "fighter" of spell casters. You have one job and you will do it well. You will provide pressure. You may not make the killing blow, but you will be a cause of the killing blow. You can sneak with the rogue, you can run with the monk, and you can damage from close or far.

You will take subtle and quicken spell. Subtle for when you're being sneaky and quicken to boost your damage.

Cantrips

Acid Splash/Chill Touch/Poison Spray, Firebolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp.

Three attack cantrips that have different uses. Pick up your fourth one of the more... Specialized damage cantrips. Acid Splash is a fun one.

Essential Spells

1st: Mage Armor or Shield, damage spells (to upcast later)

2nd: Hold Person, shatter (neat spell typing)

3rd: Sleet Storm, dmg specific spells (fireball or lightning bolt, don't pick similar damage types as you can upcast 1st and 2nd spells).

The reason for mobile is that you will always be able to get into position. Especially since the feat requires a melee attack which Shocking Grasp now becomes super safe for you. Quicken + Dash is also an option. Quicken Hold Person + attack cantrip is great for crits and doing some damage.

Sleet Storm is just a fun spell.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-11, 09:06 AM

An important question for full sorc is "what campain am I in"

Example: Nobody is going to waste a spell known on defenses in LMoP.

Other example: Nobody will ever not take subtle spell in CoS.

If the campain is homebrew go off what you know of your DM.

Ironheart
2019-08-11, 10:31 AM
Twinned metamagic is a must for pure sorcerers, in my mind. Compared to many multiclass sorc’s, you have more points at all levels of play, and you can afford to twin your spells and also do all of things they were doing as well with quicken and heighten spell shenanigans.

I’ve found distant metamagic to be useful as well.

Snowbluff
2019-08-11, 11:37 AM
Twinned metamagic is a must for pure sorcerers, in my mind. Compared to many multiclass sorc’s, you have more points at all levels of play, and you can afford to twin your spells and also do all of things they were doing as well with quicken and heighten spell shenanigans.

I’ve found distant metamagic to be useful as well.
Shadow Sorcerer's unique puppy summon is like Heighten on Steroids in most cases, so I would suggest it.

TheUser
2019-08-11, 02:15 PM
To that very unspecific Question it's probably best you just read a Guide (for example This (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxHRu80oFd2iSkNLeVBISzZxMzQ/view) or This (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lCP_i_1O3Cvicv2vVQ7GP2XgpXkEhQTsQKSSw0ScxCA/edit)) and then ask more specific Questions.

Some stuff
I feel honored everytime my guide gets plugged :)

InspectorG
2019-08-11, 09:45 PM

What is the Setting/Campaign?

What is your party's composition?

What levels will you be playing?

How optimized/Min-Maxed will the table be?

Why are you stuck with only choice of : Divine, Giant, Shadow?

jdolch
2019-08-12, 01:56 AM
Other example: Nobody will ever not take subtle spell in CoS.

And why is that?

I feel honored everytime my guide gets plugged :)

Well it is a Good Guide. Can't say i agree with everything but still.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-12, 04:03 AM
And why is that?

Pretty much any campaign, Subtle Spell is amazing.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-12, 09:33 AM

I'll suggest: Shadow Sorcerer. Variant Human.
Pick a feat. You can go with Magic Initiate: Warlock, for Hex/Eldritch Blast/pick a cantrip, but there are other feats that are also fine.
Mine has the Alert feat. Not being surprised is great. Getting +5 initiative is real nice.

Segev
2019-08-12, 09:39 AM
I'm running a 5e game right now with a diviner in it, and he just got dragon breath as a spell. It is amazing when applied to a flying familiar. If you can get ahold of a second flying minion of some sort, a sorcerer who can Twin Spell dragon breath onto a familiar and a minion would probably be an amazingly versatile combatant. Heck, just your familiar and yourself would be a valid option.

You would need to take Magic Initiate to pick up find familiar if you wanted to use that trick; otherwise, you may need to get some trainable birds or something and train them mundanely. Or have a druid in the party who uses animal friendship to acquire some.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-12, 09:47 AM
And why is that?

It's a good baseline guide.

CoS has a lot of things that can... outright TPK the party, from space. They like to chat. Sticking a suggestion on the CR17+ things is really not good for balance.

As in "Convince BabaOrbitalRailgun to nuke Strad from space" bad for balance.

Also every single NPC wants to kill you. All of them. So brainwashing is nessecary to face as social skills just outright do-not-work.

paladinn
2019-08-12, 01:39 PM
I have to say, I find the topic of this thread interesting, because the main reason that many choose the Sorc class is for its MC-ability. It just synergizes so well with the other Cha-based classes; and just one level dip in Hexblade or Paladin does so much for armor and other things.

I think for a single-class sorc, I'd look at what my subclass brings to the table that would set it apart from (mainly) a wizard. Let's face it, if a "generic" sorcerer was an option, it would be a nerfed wizard.

Personally I lean toward Divine Soul. Having access to the Cleric spell list is a huge plus. You can lay the smackdown and then help your party recover. And metamagic applied to both is a huge plus too.

Oh, and I lean toward Variant Human too. So many options for that starting feat:)

Just my $.02

jdolch
2019-08-12, 04:58 PM

CoS has a lot of things that can... outright TPK the party, from space. They like to chat. Sticking a suggestion on the CR17+ things is really not good for balance.

Also every single NPC wants to kill you. All of them. So brainwashing is nessecary to face as social skills just outright do-not-work.

Ok that is HIGHLY DM dependent. Our DM didn't do it at all like that. I can't remember a single instance anything like that worked.

Pex
2019-08-12, 05:09 PM
I had to learn the hard way. Take Quicken Spell. Just do. Your other metamagic can be whatever you want. Take any subclass you want. Take any spell you want. Take Quicken Spell. It's not about any cool spell combo or damage output. It's about there will be that time you really need or want to do Something that's not cast a spell and also cast a Spell. That Something is very important. That Spell is very important. Take Quicken Spell.

Segev
2019-08-12, 05:11 PM
I had to learn the hard way. Take Quicken Spell. Just do. Your other metamagic can be whatever you want. Take any subclass you want. Take any spell you want. Take Quicken Spell. It's not about any cool spell combo or damage output. It's about there will be that time you really need or want to do Something that's not cast a spell and also cast a Spell. That Something is very important. That Spell is very important. Take Quicken Spell.
Now I want to hear the story behind this. What was that Something, and why was it so important?

jdolch
2019-08-12, 05:39 PM
Well everything that breaks the action economy is super-powerful. Just like everything that breaks bounded accuracy. But yeah, tell the story :)

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-12, 07:23 PM

Dodge and Dash are two great actions that people overlook when using Quicken spell.

Quicken is great and over the years, wow seems like only yesterday I was play testing this game in Pittsburgh, I've found that the most useful MM are Quicken and Subtle.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-12, 11:20 PM
Ok that is HIGHLY DM dependent.

It's 5e. The sky is blue. Gravity is on. Etc...

jdolch
2019-08-13, 02:33 AM

I agree, Subtle Spell has the potential to break the game, which is exactly why you think it's awesome. And which is exactly the reason why NOT "nobody ever doesn't take subtle Spell". Problem is if the DM doesn't want you to break the game (silly him, right?) then none of your shenanigans work and subtle spell is completely useless.

So, to circle back to your original post: Lots of people will not take subtle Spell in CoS because it doesn't work.

Ok, that is HIGHLY DM dependent.

It's 5e. The sky is blue. Gravity is on. Etc...

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-13, 04:05 AM
I agree, Subtle Spell has the potential to break the game, which is exactly why you think it's awesome. And which is exactly the reason why NOT "nobody ever doesn't take subtle Spell". Problem is if the DM doesn't want you to break the game (silly him, right?) then none of your shenanigans work and subtle spell is completely useless.

So, to circle back to your original post: Lots of people will not take subtle Spell in CoS because it doesn't work.

You seem to think the DM and player will be competing against each other. Bad dynamic, bro.

Subtle Spell breaks the game without additional shenanigans because Subtle Spell is the shenanigan.

Besides, the DM should be actively putting the Sorcerer in situations where Subtle Spell is a great choice, but not the only choice.

jdolch
2019-08-13, 04:11 AM
You seem to think the DM and player will be competing against each other. Bad dynamic, bro.

No, that's basically the exact opposite of what I said.

I just think the DM doesn't want you to break the game and start an arms race, because that is exactly what the "Lets abuse subtle Spell to mind control NPCs" approach comes down to.

Of course if you moderate that approach it can be fine.
If the DM and Players work together and play off one another it can be great.

But that's not the "OMFG take Subtle Spell. It's OP. Take it, Take it, Take it!" approach that's advocated higher up in this thread.

Besides, the DM should be actively putting the Sorcerer in situations where Subtle Spell is a great choice, but not the only choice.

The DM should be actively putting the Character X in situations where Whaterever-Cool-Abilities-that-Character-has can shine and make for an awesome scene. If that is Subtle Spell, fine, but it can be literally anything else.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-13, 04:35 AM
No, that's basically the exact opposite of what I said.

I just think the DM doesn't want you to break the game and start an arms race, because that is exactly what the "Lets abuse subtle Spell to mind control NPCs" approach comes down to.

Of course if you moderate that approach it can be fine.
If the DM and Players work together and play off one another it can be great.

But that's not the "OMFG take Subtle Spell. It's OP. Take it, Take it, Take it!" approach that's advocated higher up in this thread.

The DM should be actively putting the Character X in situations where Whaterever-Cool-Abilities-that-Character-has can shine and make for an awesome scene. If that is Subtle Spell, fine, but it can be literally anything else.

You still have this idea that it's DM v Player.

It's not about picking sting things to fight the DM and break their game for the Lolz. It's so you have the (strong) options for when the DM puta you in situations to use it.

jdolch
2019-08-13, 05:11 AM
You still have this idea that it's DM v Player.

It's not about picking sting things to fight the DM and break their game for the Lolz. It's so you have the (strong) options for when the DM puta you in situations to use it.

I don't even know what to say to that. {scrubbed}

ShirAhn
2019-08-13, 07:28 AM

I played a Shadow Sorcerer in the past, and I'm playing a divine soul sorcerer right now and I find both very fun to play. Consider what you really want to do and pick your metamagics accordingly, I picked Subtle and Twincast because I feel those two compliments each other perfectly and both are very very strong.

I love subtle the most, being able to cast spells without anyone knowing where it's coming from is really really really fun. The problem with any sorcerer is the small list of spells you get to choose from, I really like being efficient with my action economy so I pick Spiritual Weapon as one of the spells so I always have something to do with my bonus action (it's also a great DPS boost versus single targets).

I will share my spelllist below and will try to share some information why I made the choices, if you have any questions let me know (lvl 7 BTW)

Cantrips: << These spells only take 1 sorcery point to TWIN or Subtle so very efficient

Guidance < Rogue wants to open a lock? Guidance, Climb a tree? Guidance, guidance is just very useful and versatile, I use it multiple times every session.
Message < handy for communicating
Prestidigitation < I like being able to use this on NPCs to make their food taste bad :P overall a very versatile spell that the sorcerer needs because they so little choices.
Ray of Frost < for only 1 sorcery point you can twincast this slowing 2 enemies down and doing decent damage.
Toll the Dead < twinable and pretty good damage for a cantrip

Level 1: < Notice that I have 0 lvl 1 damage spells? I rely on using twincast + cantrip for my single target damage + bonus action spiritual weapon.
Bless < Bless is just insane and one of the reasons I love the cleric list so much. It has turned so many of my teams misses into hits and saving throw fails into success. It's one of the best spells in the game.
Healing Word < Twinable, and a sorcerer can actually use this spell more efficient than clerics. Two of your teammates knocked out? NO PROBLEM, twincast Healing word and they are both up and ready to continue the fight and you still have an action to cast that twinned Ray of Frost.
Shield

Level 2:
Spiritual Weapon < the only efficient way I can think of for using my bonus action regularly
Suggestion < Great for twin again, two guards are in your way? Suggestion twin + subtle gets you out of almost any situation.

Level 3:
Counterspell < again great with subtle, you can counter them, but they cant counter you.
Fireball < Sometimes, you just want to to clear a room with a big ball of fire.
Thunderstepp < very usefull spell, again very versatile, it's a misty stepp kind of escape spell and you can bring a friend. I use it to run into the fray when one of my teammates is low, grab them and jump out.

Level 4:
Polymorh < whats better than 1 Giant ape? Exactly, twincast TWO Giant apes on your team.

Nhorianscum
2019-08-13, 08:49 AM
I don't even know what to say to that. {scrub the post, scrub the quote}

In the earlier example the DM and the player were working together to tell a story that was... not exactly standard rather than the player trying to pull one over on the DM... in 5e. Where in-game breathing is technically DM fiat.

Basically things are "good" because they allow us to add to the story in interesting ways and "bad" when they do not. This is the underlying basis of all real play optimization.

ImperiousLeader
2019-08-13, 11:29 AM
Your Metamagic and Subclass choice does a lot to dictate your spell selection. A Sorcerer with Twin Spell is going to take different choices than Quicken or Heighten. Whichever you pick, I like Subtle as your second option. Unless you expect to always be blasting, Subtle will have its uses.

Now, this may be controversial, but I don't think it's necessary to dip into Warlock. You're giving up a level of spells. Sure, it won't matter much at 17th level, but I'd rather be a 7th level Sorcerer with 4th level spells, than a Sorcerer 5 / Warlock 2, with only 3rd level spells.

Throne12
2019-08-13, 11:55 AM
So this is what my Dm text me about creating a character
Stat array is 18 16 14 12 10 8
Starting at Level 11, get 1 Starting feat, 1 uncommon magic item.
Plus chose 2 from this list
Learn a language
Profency in 1 weapon
Profency in 1 armor
Profency in a skill
Profency in a tool set

He also has a rule you can't pick a class someone else is already playing. The party is
1. Human raised by minatars Samurai build as a hit and run. She bull rush a enemy hits them and keep going.
2. A bard dont know much else he join when I left for the summer to work.
3. A dragonborn warlock I cant remember how hes built.

So what do yall say I should make?

Nhorianscum
2019-08-13, 12:14 PM
Learn a language
Profency in 1 weapon
Profency in 1 armor
Profency in a skill
Profency in a tool set

He also has a rule you can't pick a class someone else is already playing. The party is
1. Human raised by minatars Samurai build as a hit and run. She bull rush a enemy hits them and keep going.

Honestly? Whatever you want with that setup. 11 is PEAK Sorc before 17+

Just take the basics and do whatever seems fun, it's really hard to mess up Sorc in early tier 3.

For your frost giant soul concept I'd just snag plate, Cone of cold, Counterspell, and DDoor as a full on Goliath. The rest is all personal preferance, your DM is giving near total freedom of concept here.

If you cannot look at the list and go "I want to play this with these spells" don't play sorc. You will not enjoy it. Play Druid.

Corran
2019-08-14, 01:43 AM
Learn a language
Profency in 1 weapon
Profency in 1 armor
Profency in a skill
Profency in a tool set

Pick a subclass that will give you wings. So either draconic or divine soul bloodline. No-concentration flight is huge. Granted, you don't start with it, but since you start at level 11 it is not that far off (you will get it at level 14). And yes, you could grab a magic item that gives the same benefit (like a flying broomstick), but having it as an innate ability has some benefits (items can be lost/destroyed or shut down by antimagic fields and stuff; so if you like another archetype you can go this way about it, but still, I'd go for one of the two I mentioned, if for nothing else, so that I don't have to depend on magic items for something I consider that important).

You party composition is rather squishy and you are a bit light on the (single target) dpr department too. These factors make me think that draconic bloodline would be a good pick (because it gives you extra AC and a few more HP, and because it bumps a bit the damage of your cantrips; also it is one of the two archetypes that will give you flight, as mentioned previously). But... being able to pick up proficiency with one armor (as per your DM's houserules) makes me think that divine soul is probably an equally good choice, if not better. I don't remember how moderately armored works, but if you can take it by just having proficiency in just one light armor and not in all light armors, then since you start with very good stats and since you get a free feat, I would highly recommend that you pick it up as a feat (you would have to use one of your DM's choices to pick up prof in one light armor, assuming it satisfies the feat's prerequisites). That will put your AC at either 18 or 19 (disadvantage on stealth checks), depending on if you want disadvantage on stealth or not (I'd go with the 18 AC and no disadvantage on stealth; stealth is good).

Let me expand a bit more on party composition and what it means for your choices. You are 4 characters that don't really want to get hit. Especially the spellcasters who can and will need to concentrate on spells. Bard, sorcerer, warlock, all of you don't want to get hit. And the fighter wants to play hit and run too (which strangely I find a good idea), but either way, fighters don't have the raw defenses or stickiness to tank for everyone in the party. What does this mean for you? That you want to pick up things that:
1) Increase your mobility (or better, depend on flying speed)
2) Allow you to escape close combat
3) Buff your defenses (pick up cheap things for that, don't go overboard, you are not a tank)
4) Buff (protect) allies in an efficient way

Increasing mobility is tough without overcommitting to it (but you don't really want to use concentration for it), so I'd aim at a flying speed for that (ie wings). #2 is easy to address. Just pick some teleport spells. Misty step and then one of thunder step or dimension door. Yes, two spells. Misty step is useful cause it's a bonus action and you want to avoid quickening higher level action teleports if you can (that's assuming you pick quicken, which is an ok choice; more on metamagic later). The spell investment is worth it IMO. For #3 though, you want to avoid investing on mage armor and also you want to avoid committing you concentration on it. Boost your base AC (either draconic bloodline, or better yet pick divine soul and use one of your DM's boons to pick up proficiency in a breastplate or a halfplate if your carrying capacity allows for that and if you don't care about stealth; or better yet, go with light armor prof and with the moderately armored feat for additionaly equipping a shield, assuming the feat works that way). And then top it off by picking up the shield and the mirror image spell (blink is another alternative, but imo it's meh because too random). #4 is the big deal and where actually making choices start to really matter. Let me expand on that just below.

Go with the twinned metamagic and pick greater invisibility and polymorph (and sanctuary if divine soul).

A party with tha many squishies will make good use of a (twinned) polymorph. Yes, polymorph loses value the more you go up in levels, but as a panic button it will serve you great in this set up now and in higher levels. Just consider it a very good healing spell (and a contingency spell at that, meaning that it's not something you do to win fights, but something you do to avoid losing them; ie you don't open up with polymorph, you use it when things look really bad).
Twinned sanctuary is for when things look just bad, but it's useful to have it as an alternative to polymorph because it's much cheaper, but a lot more because it does not use concentration, so that means that unlike polymorph, you can use it without having to drop concentration on another spell you are using.

You really want (twinned) greater invisibility too. The protection it gives is great when you have squishies that wont to avoid being targeted so that they don't lose their concentration on the big spells they are using to win the fight and so that they also avoid dying. Also good on the fighter. For example, consider this. The warlock concentrates on fly (upcasting it naturally, to affect 3 pc's). So, the warlock uses fly on them, on the bard and on you, the sorcerer. Everyone is up in the air (avoiding melee enemies), except for the fighter who is down on the ground trying to use hit and run against enemies (hopefully outrunning some of the melee's). How do you build on that? You use greater invisibility. But on whom? First of all on the warlock, so that they don't easily lose concentration on the fly spell which protects the 3 casters from melee enemies. But also because it will improve their dpr (and you warlock is the actual ranged dpr of the team, so that's a big plus). But you also use it on the fighter, who is the only one left one the ground, so most likely the one taking the majority of hits. So now, the warlock, the bard and the sorcerer are all up in the air (with the warlock invisible), and he fighter is on the ground invisible, exchanging hits with the enemy. That will be a good way to go about winning some tough fights. And when you hit level 14 and you get wings, then the figher can be on the air too, which means you could potentially target someone else instead of the fighter with greater invisibility (you still want to buff the warlock, both because dpr but also because they are the ones keeping you up in the air, so you want them avoid getting hit and having their concentraton tested). For example, at level 14 you could buff the bard, who will be probably concentrating on sth as or more important as fly.

Btw, it would be great if the bard could pick up some strong summoning spells. Extra bodies will help a lot with how squishy the party is and with the relative lack on the dpr department. Plus, summoning is pretty strong in 5e. They could do the summoning bit when the flying tactics can't work, or even as an extra boost for when they do (make the bard invisible -or cast sanctuary on them- when they summon things).

Twinning spells is expensive (polymorph and greater invisibility spends 4 sorcery points; sanctuary only 1 -AFB, but pretty sure that you can twin sanctuary, if that's not the case, please someone correct me). That means that you need to take some cheap metamagic with your other two slots. I am a bit skeptical about quickened for that reason. You lack dpr as a group though, so maybe it would be good having quickened, so that you can still firebolt/ray of frost/ or whatever, when you are using a mirror image or a dimension door or sth. Just don't overuse it if you end up taking it. Keep your sorcery points available for the important stuff you can do with twinned which will allow you to actually win fights (at least a lot more than casting one more cantrip). Empower will be good, given how due to group composition you wont have that much trouble dropping the occasional blast AoE every now and then. Again though, don't overuse it, save enough sorc points for twinning stuff (eg that twinned polymorph contringency for if things turn ugly; as an aside, don't self polymorph and go into combat, that's how you lose concentration on it). So, bottom line, pick twinned, and then choose two more from empower, subtle and quickened (maybe careful as well).

You don't really need careful in this group composition and also given how useful twinned would be for you. It's still good for some contingencies, and it is cheap, so it wouldn't actually be a bad choice, but it's not that crucial for you to get. Especially if you go with divine soul as your sorcerer origin. I wont overanalyze a choice that I don't really suggest. But something of notice, if you do end up going with the divine soul origin (which at this point is what I would recommend), maybe consider picking up spirit guardians. You don't want to use spirit guardians. But sometimes you might have to. If you are cornered and you cannot use flying tactics and you can't blast and the bard cannot use summons or they are not enough and the enemies are all clustered together around you, etc etc, then you use spirit guardians. It's a contingency similarly to how twinned polymorph is one. It's plan D or sth. It works against almost every other tactical or defensive option you have (it only synergizes with the shield spell). But if you want to have that kind of contingency, and given that you are probably missing on ccareful metamagic, and given you have many squishies, and given how divine soul is already a good choice for an archetype, and given how you could be realtively better armored thanks to DM boons, and and and.... you could pick it up as a back up spell that you don't ever really want to use but that sometimes you might have to. If you can find room in your spell list, that is. If you end up fing yourself in a situation where using it would be a good idea, then it is also a situation where you would want to dodge with your action (and possibly spend one or two reactions with the shield spell).

Mikaleus
2019-08-14, 04:55 AM
Using mostly srd stuff...

V. Human Shadow Sorcerer "SWAT"

Background: Stealth and Acrobatics... You're a sneaky para military swat member.

Feat at first level: Mobile

You're a member of the para-military mercenary group that soecializes in apply pressure so to support others.

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Skills: Acrobatics, Stealth, Insight, Intimidation, and Persuasion.

Spells

You are not a wizard

You are not a cleric

You are no druid or bard.

You are the "fighter" of spell casters. You have one job and you will do it well. You will provide pressure. You may not make the killing blow, but you will be a cause of the killing blow. You can sneak with the rogue, you can run with the monk, and you can damage from close or far.

You will take subtle and quicken spell. Subtle for when you're being sneaky and quicken to boost your damage.

Cantrips

Acid Splash/Chill Touch/Poison Spray, Firebolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp.

Three attack cantrips that have different uses. Pick up your fourth one of the more... Specialized damage cantrips. Acid Splash is a fun one.

Essential Spells

1st: Mage Armor or Shield, damage spells (to upcast later)

2nd: Hold Person, shatter (neat spell typing)

3rd: Sleet Storm, dmg specific spells (fireball or lightning bolt, don't pick similar damage types as you can upcast 1st and 2nd spells).

The reason for mobile is that you will always be able to get into position. Especially since the feat requires a melee attack which Shocking Grasp now becomes super safe for you. Quicken + Dash is also an option. Quicken Hold Person + attack cantrip is great for crits and doing some damage.

Sleet Storm is just a fun spell.

This is totally a character I wanna play someday ! Awesome 👏

@Corran that is some very helpful advice for anyone wanting to play a sorcerer. Thanks :)

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-14, 06:08 AM
This is totally a character I wanna play someday ! Awesome 👏

@Corran that is some very helpful advice for anyone wanting to play a sorcerer. Thanks :)

Thank you! That means a lot.

I call it SWAT because in movies they call in SWAT as backup or to finish the job. If your allies do a majority of the damage you can help clean up. Probably should rename this build to Chip or Chipper Sorcerer (chip damage) as your goal is to support in combat via chip damage.

A few other things.

If you go for a chip damage build, you don't need to boost Cha as much. Grabbing Alert will do wonders for getting the first hit in and then Actor will shore up your out of combat utility.

With mobile, keep a dagger in hand and a dagger ready to be drawn. Dual wielding is a great way for you to not provoke from two targets. If you only need to get away from 1, then melee cantrip is the way to go.